Sponsored

Contacted Jeep Customer Service on sketchy pricing of the XR Package

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
It’s funny… People that love to bash the 392 (and the people that buy them,) keep throwing that comment around, that we somehow made a mistake and bought a “mediocre sports car”, like that’s an insult.

But I think they miss the point entirely… It’s still a Rubicon, which is an astonishingly capable off road vehicle in its own right, it just happens to also be an incredibly FAST Rubicon, that is absurdly fun to drive!

On road, and off!

With a full warranty!

And whether or not it’s overpriced is a completely subjective question, that really only matters to the person that’s contemplating buying one.

If you feel it isn’t, then buy it.

If you feel it is, then don’t.

It really is that simple.

Also, comparing to a modified base model is silly, because most people who want a Rubicon, aren’t buying base models.

And for the love of god, stop saying that it’s a 30k up-charge just for the Hemi. Take out a calculator, and compare it an EQUALLY optioned Rubicon.

And as has been stated more times than any human can even count, it ALSO comes with a ton of changes to things like the drivetrain, the transmission, the frame, the brakes, and to the cooling system that you don’t get if you do it at home, because unlike any other version of the JL, it was actually designed for a V8!

So you if you want to do it right, and do it yourself, you have to account for the cost of all of those enhancements as well.

And everyone who goes there loves to also ignore the obvious, glaring flaw in that comparison, that even without adding those enhancements to reliably accommodate a V8 in a vehicle that wasn’t designed to have one, you can only get to that theoretical price you claim it would cost, by doing EVERY OUNCE, and every minute of labor yourself.

Now, I’m sure there is a decent percentage of people here that are fully capable of doing every part of that transformation themselves, but realistically, most will end up paying someone to do most of it.

And regardless of who does it, you won’t have a warranty for when something expensive on your Jeep breaks, or gets destroyed by that huge new engine, and it’s huge jump in power.

Nor will you have the resale value of a factory version, so you have to add both of those potential losses to your TOTAL cost of doing it yourself.

Do the math on all of those variables, add it to the cost of an equally equipped, brand new 22 Rubicon Unlimited.

Then you will at least have a full, and accurate assessment of whether or not it’s still “cheaper” to buy a 6.4 liter Hemi and install it yourself.

Again, without a warranty.
This.

Can't build it apples to apples for the price you're getting it from FCA. End of story.

People are just mad they can't have a Wrangler with a Hemi option for $5k at any trim level (similar to Ram or Grand Cherokee) and will just complain non-stop about it. And they're not wrong for complaining, but I don't think FCA has any intention of taking any action on their feedback, nor should they in current market conditions.

By the time the market "corrects" or competition kicks in and prevents FCA from selling them at this price point (and supply exceeds demand), that engine won't pass emissions anyway and it will no longer be offered.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Exactly. It’s not that I’m over here being “silly” about this. It’s just a simple example of right vs wrong. If they care, they will slow their roll a little as the completion is hearing up and customers demand more value. If they don’t care, the price will stay that way and continue to rise while cross shopping customers begin moving to other machines of interest, such as a Raptor Bronco, Hummer Electric, Maxed out diesel truck, loaded C8, Land Rover, Lotus Emira, cybertruck, Rivian, Ford Raptor F150, hell maybe even Raptor R territory… There’s just so many fun vehicle options after the $80K barrier. I broke $80K on the MSRP, but would never pay that.
So you think the Hummer Electric, Raptor Bronco and all of the others mentioned will try to be priced under a 392 Rubicon because that is the price to beat?

As Jeep makes the specialty units....the line forms. Your whole argument, fake sense of being a victim is ridiculous. As some folks have stated...if you don't want to pay for it, buy something else.

Wasted thread.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
You are mostly right, although the majority of the drivetrain upgrades are just carry overs from the diesel as they are more about weight than being "designed for a v8". Transmission is the same, transfer case is the same, only they eliminated 2wd (not an upgrade), knuckles, even the cv shafts aren't unique, every JL rubicon with the full time 4wd option has them. Now with the xr, plain Jane 3.6L buyers get the same knuckles, brakes, etc. That doesn't make it a bad vehicle, but I don't see it as a $15-20k upgrade over a loaded diesel or xr Rubicon. In my opinion a chunk of that price is novelty and paying a "top shelf" premium. Complaining about "sketchy pricing" on add ons to a vehicle you've already shown a willingness to over pay for just seems silly is all.
Fair point, and I recognize that a lot of the parts they used for the drivetrain were carryovers from other models, but my point was more that you’d have to account for the cost and labor to add those enhancements too. 🙂
-Rob

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
So you think the Hummer Electric, Raptor Bronco and all of the others mentioned will try to be priced under a 392 Rubicon because that is the price to beat?

As Jeep makes the specialty units....the line forms. Your whole argument, fake sense of being a victim is ridiculous. As some folks have stated...if you don't want to pay for it, buy something else.

Wasted thread.
Then move on somewhere else with your fat mouth…. I don’t know there the F you thought it would be ok to come on here and attack like you think you know something, hell, you even created your own details of what it is you think I said and you’re not even close. Zero points there, pal. You’re showing how obvious it is that you’re narrow minded AF and I’m real happy for you that you’re just so impressed with Jeep’s pricing and bold ass price hikes... I truly am. Now go buy someone’s 1987 Dodge Aries for $10K. Everyone’s doing it and we’re all sheep that follow each other and are trained to never complain because some Leftist licking person might say something…

Last edited:

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

You’d be a fool to buy a new JL as a dedicated trail rig/trailer queen. My wife daily drives ours to work. We also road trip it on multiple 2-3k mile trips every year, and it gets run through trails like the rubicon, the dusy, etc. Obviously there are compromises from any singular purpose, but for its use it is built just the way we want. Shines up nice/looks good in the executive lot/can be used for client lunches, cruises along at 85mph while still getting 16mpg for hours at a time, and does great on all types of terrain. The 2.0t has been great for 43k miles so far. I think the XR package is a deal simply for the wheels and gears, you’d spend at least as much to get beadlock capable 8.5” wide wheels and gears from the aftermarket. The tailgate reenforcement and tire relocation kit are necessary for a 37” tire. If I were ordering new, I’d go XR knowing full well I’d be ditching the KO2’s and silly fender lips day 1.
I am building mine as a dedicated trail rig that will still be street legal. I had a TJ on one tons, atlas, with a supercharger that I trailered most of the time, but was street legal. Someone earlier stated that a dedicated trail rig had to be trailered, not sure I agree with that. Maybe a buggy. But just because you don't use it as a daily driver does not mean it has to be trailered. The reason I bought the JL was that I can actually drive it to the trail on 39-40" tires and drive it back if needed.

The reason I did not buy the 392 was that I did not see enough value in the engine off road for the price increase. I also feared that the 392 would put additional stress on the stock axles. On top of that, any suspension package offered by the OEM was not going to match the aftermarket options. Same with the bumpers, tire carrier, bead lock wheels that are not rated for much bigger tire. I am trying to get as much use out of the stock axles as I can before upgrading to Dana 60's. I have nearly 30k (very little of that is labor as I installed most of it myself) into mine in aftermarket suspension, tires, wheels, armor, gearing, etc. and would have had to spend that same money on the 392. Plus the exhaust is the best thing about the 392 and also one of the worst as it hangs way the heck too low!

I had the Trackhawk and sold it and went back to the SRT because the difference in the engine alone was not enough to justify the expense. Sure the suspension was tweaked a bit and it had different brakes, but that was it. Plus, I have a 2020 M5 for speed and handling on road.

For price increases, not sure why anyone is surprised, everything is going up in price! I have vendors that I work with that adjust pricing on a weekly basis now. I can either except the price or not get my orders filled... Labor, material, shipping, and supply costs are going up everywhere. You want a real shock, look at the RV industry. I have a freightliner super C on order that has gone up $50,000 since I placed the order. I can either accept it, or they will sell it to someone else.

Back to the original topic, Jeep can adjust pricing however they want. You can be upset about it and complain to them, but they are not going to change anything until they have to and right now, the demand far exceeds the supply.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kansas JL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon ( sold). 2022 392 XR Tuscadero
Literally- it really is that simple; the only question is “is it worth it to you?” and only you can answer that question.

For me personally, it’s about more than just the Jeep. The 392XR effectively allows me to have a trail rig I love without all the time and headaches of a full build and engine swap (which I have done). I’ll kill a day installing 37s, a winch and skids and call it good. As I see it, I’m effectively buying back my build time and buying down my headaches - and that is worth a lot to me.

so, for me, hell yeah … Give me a big HP, lifted Rubicon from the factory on 35s with a warranty with which i can run 95%+ of trails and is a hoot to drive getting there. I’ll pay. 😁😀😉
This sums up my purchasing th 392XR perfectly!
Sponsored