Sponsored

Consumer Reports review of the 2018 Wrangler JL

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Recon, JLUR on order, 2 summer cars, 2 summer Ducs
No, for those reviews they actually approach it with the idea that they are reviewing a purpose built vehicle with certain features attractive to the vehicle’s target market, not the magazine’s generic/geriatric audience. Whereas with the Wrangler they treat like an urban sedan with knobby tyres and wonder why it couldn’t be more like a VW Jetta.
So... not renewing your subscription?:giggle:
Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
IMO, using a Jeep as a DD would be a real labor of love. For heavy, stop-go commute traffic, nothing really beats a nice, quiet CUV.

But outside of the 9-5 routine, top down, weekends free, is there really anything else that compares?
I don't understand your comment. I drove jeeps for almost 20 years as my daily driver and never felt it was laborious.

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
I live in SoCal. It’s basically 70-90 year round. I work near the beach and have (2) 5 year old boys. I can’t think of a better daily driver.

In the winter we travel to Utah for skiing, again, can’t think of a better vehicle.

The price is the only thing that gave me pause. Quick pause, maybe 30 seconds. The scary thing is, if it pushed 60K vs 50K, I’d probably still buy the Rubi JL because I think it’s 15K better than the Rubi JK.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
So... not renewing your subscription?:giggle:
It’s free to me, and I still want some money back for the travesty that is their car ‘reviews’. :facepalm:

Wanna buy a vacuum or a household detergent , I’m sure they can make an empirical/objective test that tests suction or % concentration efficacy.

However, for cars, they are a blunt instrument that treats everything as a hammer, and can’t figure out why a torque wrench would be useful when it’s just so/so at driving nails. :headbang:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
That's an extremely well presented point Ape: as nearly all your posts are I believe.

Rather than up their review of the Wrangler, which again I contend was fair, I would advocate supporting your point through the greater critical review of sports cars.

Some might suggest, (if not you or I) the idea that such genre of vehicle's gets a "pass," in that the public is already supposedly aware of the limited use of such purpose built sporty designs in other applications.

Clearly, their opinions have limited affect on sales and resale value.

Sponsored

72commando

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Jeep Commando, '18 JLU sport s
After daily driving a 70s jeep for the last three years commuting in my JL is like being wrapped in bubble wrap and floating inside a cloud. I guess the CR perspective is comparing to luxury mini vans lol.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously everyone’s shared their opinions already but for me I’m 6’5” 22 year old and this will be my 3rd Vehicle. I started out with a 1.6L Kia Soul which was a fun small city car but I got bored and wanted something more sporty. So I was able to transition into a V6 Mustang and have loved it as well. But now that I actually need functionality out of a vehicle but don’t want to give up the fun factor so I started looking into Jeeps. The new JL is basically exactly what I want out of my daily driver (besides mpg). Daily driving a Mustang right now is fun except for the fact that there’s no cargo space and it sits so low that getting in and out gets a little annoying. For me hopping into a JL is fairly natural since I just have to slightly step up into it. At one point I also considered getting a motorcycle for the open air feeling but the Wrangler also checks that off my list. I’ll be a happy man come this summer (at least until it gets over 105).

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Obviously everyone’s shared their opinions already but for me I’m 6’5” 22 year old and this will be my 3rd Vehicle. I started out with a 1.6L Kia Soul which was a fun small city car but I got bored and wanted something more sporty. So I was able to transition into a V6 Mustang and have loved it as well. But now that I actually need functionality out of a vehicle but don’t want to give up the fun factor so I started looking into Jeeps. The new JL is basically exactly what I want out of my daily driver (besides mpg). Daily driving a Mustang right now is fun except for the fact that there’s no cargo space and it sits so low that getting in and out gets a little annoying. For me hopping into a JL is fairly natural since I just have to slightly step up into it. At one point I also considered getting a motorcycle for the open air feeling but the Wrangler also checks that off my list. I’ll be a happy man come this summer (at least until it gets over 105).
Have you sat in a JL yet? I'm curious if at your height you have issues with the top of the gauge cluster being "cutoff".

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Have you sat in a JL yet? I'm curious if at your height you have issues with the top of the gauge cluster being "cutoff".
I have sat in 3 Sahara’s. One Red at DFW Auto Show, One Granite when they first arrived, and a Nacho Selec-Trac last night. It does sadly get cut off and I have to squat to see it. I can still see the digital speedometer fine. Other than that, headroom and leg room have not been a problem although I still wish I could get the seat to go even lower.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I have sat in 3 Sahara’s. One Red at DFW Auto Show, One Granite when they first arrived, and a Nacho Selec-Trac last night. It does sadly get cut off and I have to squat to see it. I can still see the digital speedometer fine. Other than that, headroom and leg room have not been a problem although I still wish I could get the seat to go even lower.
Even at my 6' height the tops of the gauge cluster was cutoff... was that an issue in the JK too or is it an oversight (no pun intended) in the JL?

Sponsored

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Even at my 6' height the tops of the gauge cluster was cutoff... was that an issue in the JK too or is it an oversight (no pun intended) in the JL?
I have no idea since this is my first Jeep. But I’d assume this wasn’t as big of an issue since it wasn’t a digital cluster. Good ol’ Screen Technology has allowed us to cram more information in.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Bottom Line
The Jeep Wrangler has an undeniable appeal that can’t be measured. It is the embodiment of a storied history that evokes freedom and adventure.
This is the money quote right here. If you’re reading CR to decide which one of a dozen SUVs you should buy, you’re not the target audience for either this review or the new JL.

If however you are trying to decide between a JL and a JK, or are wondering if upgrading from your ‘08 is a good idea, this review is a glowing endorsement.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Our vehicle categorization system is broken.

Wagons getting called Crossovers. Crossovers getting called SUVs. SUVs getting called trucks. Is the Jeep Wrangler really an SUV? Should it not be in its own category of Off-Road Vehicle?

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
Going to chime in.

I’m 6’2” tall torso - the top of the center cluster is definitely cut off

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Not a very flattering review for somebody like me that was considering getting it as a daily driver. Not that there's anything against what it truly is... it's just making me rethink if this would in fact fit my wants and needs as a daily driver. I'll need to do more test driving once the slider roof and 2.0L or diesel hit the lots.
I put 95k on my 2012 JKU as a daily driver, and my JLUR blows bit away in every way!
Sponsored