Sponsored

CONSUMER REPORTS and Gladiators and Wranglers.

Jinnjue

First Name
Jinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl 2 door Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had a single issue with my 2019 JLUR in 40,000 miles. I did the clutch recall, which amounted to removing a clip that could wear through a hose, put a sleeve on the hose sans the clip and bleed the system. I also did the steering box TSB and that was a great update, although my steering didn't seem that bad until I drove the Jeep after the TSB.
Same here, I have a 2018 wrangler jl 2 door in mojito of course. And I havenā€™t had a single mechanical issue. But the damn 5 inch radio is where Iā€™ve been having my issues. Sometimes it just cuts out and there are times it just wonā€™t come on. No surprise thatā€™s itā€™s not available in the newer jeeps cuz that thing is crap. But otherwise happy with my baby. šŸ‘šŸ½šŸ˜
Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Well....Awesome to hear about the Wrangler since they move about 16K units/month +or- but the Gladiator? Are there even enough on the road to gauge? Since the gladiator was introduced 2 years ago, I have seen 2 maybe in the wild besides the 45 that are sitting on the FCA lot in my area, unsold. I imagine you can get quite a deal on a new Gladiator these days...

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Toyota and Honda didnā€™t pay anything. The problem was that CR subscribers, under direct recommendation from CR, tended to be predominantly Honda and Toyota owners. So when CR sent out a survey to its subscribers, Toyota and Honda owners gave their own vehicles higher grades.

None of this is to say that Toyota and Honda didnā€™t make better vehicles; they did. Particularly 30 years ago. But CRā€™s methodology was still biased, and the resulting data was not representative of the overall market.
I owned 4 Honda's and although pedestrian and vanilla, they were phenomenally reliable machines. I bought a Subaru and although a decent vehicle, it has had more mechanical issues than all four Honda's combined. My wife has a Kia Sedona and I have been thoroughly impressed with its build quality so far in the first 80,000 miles. That being said I think I would choose a little battery cable torture to not have to drive them instead of my Jeep. I really like Tesla and think Elon Musk is driving the entire industry forward, but having driven and ridden in a number of Tesla's they invoke as much excitement as if Andre the Giant was scheduled to provide my next prostate exam. Imagine him saying "You may feel a bit of discomfort during the exam!"

80848928ed9408476ab7a6d1bd346527.jpg

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Same here, I have a 2018 wrangler jl 2 door in mojito of course. And I havenā€™t had a single mechanical issue. But the damn 5 inch radio is where Iā€™ve been having my issues. Sometimes it just cuts out and there are times it just wonā€™t come on. No surprise thatā€™s itā€™s not available in the newer jeeps cuz that thing is crap. But otherwise happy with my baby. šŸ‘šŸ½šŸ˜
Sorry to hear about the concerns you've been experiencing with your radio! Have you taken your vehicle in to get this properly diagnosed and addressed by your Jeep dealer?

Courtney
Jeep Cares

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Back when I had a Saturn I heard the same stuff on Saturn forums about CR. And just like with Jeeps, the CR's scores were mostly accurate. Every automobile model that gets dinged on for reliability assumes they're being picked on. Unless we're talking Isuzus, it's not true.

It's nice to hear that the 2020's are ranking well. Since reliability ratings can change as vehicles get older, that implies the 2019's are doing pretty well too. I've had a fair number of issues with my 2019, but that's mostly been fit and finish.

I started having that issue with my 7" CarPlay cutting out. The screen never went off, but my phone lost connectivity. I noticed that the USB LED lights also went out which led me to the fuse box. Ends up they're not really well suited to the rough handling Jeep suspension. I had to reseat a fuse that had jostled loose.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Back when I had a Saturn I heard the same stuff on Saturn forums about CR. And just like with Jeeps, the CR's scores were mostly accurate. Every automobile model that gets dinged on for reliability assumes they're being picked on. Unless we're talking Isuzus, it's not true.

It's nice to hear that the 2020's are ranking well. Since reliability ratings can change as vehicles get older, that implies the 2019's are doing pretty well too. I've had a fair number of issues with my 2019, but that's mostly been fit and finish.

I started having that issue with my 7" CarPlay cutting out. The screen never went off, but my phone lost connectivity. I noticed that the USB LED lights also went out which led me to the fuse box. Ends up they're not really well suited to the rough handling Jeep suspension. I had to reseat a fuse that had jostled loose.
Did you check to see if they were all seated properly initially? It's pretty well documented that for some reason the new Jeeps were coming without the fuses properly seated.

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Did you check to see if they were all seated properly initially? It's pretty well documented that for some reason the new Jeeps were coming without the fuses properly seated.
It took about 20 months to become a problem. It's entirely possible they came from the factory that way or they were bounced around like my wife every time I go over a speed bump too fast.

My theory is modern electronics don't care much for solid axel design, but my theories are often wrong.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It took about 20 months to become a problem. It's entirely possible they came from the factory that way or they were bounced around like my wife every time I go over a speed bump too fast.

My theory is modern electronics don't care much for solid axel design, but my theories are often wrong.
Pretty sure they came from the factory that way, from the threads I've read. Mine were fine and have never had an issue in the 3 years I've bounced it around.

Jinnjue

First Name
Jinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl 2 door Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about the concerns you've been experiencing with your radio! Have you taken your vehicle in to get this properly diagnosed and addressed by your Jeep dealer?

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Yes I have. And they claim there is nothing wrong with it. They replaced the radio once before. But at least the first radio I had never just stopped working. It would just cut out and reset my clock. The second radio just doesnā€™t work sometimes. And when I took it to the dealership to have them simply turn it on. Even they couldnā€™t figure it out!?!?! But they said to bring it back and theyā€™ll look at it again. I know what theyā€™re going to do. Theyā€™ll replace it with the same one and it will work for awhile and the same thing will happen again. Just to tell me that they canā€™t find anything wrong with it. šŸ¤¬ I think they should give me a credit for the 5 inch radio towards a 7 or 8 inch radio and Iā€™ll be happy to pay the difference. And then we will see if itā€™s just the radio. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ‘šŸ½

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Almost as good as JD Power...who paid the most to have the data skewed to their favor
I think Consumer Reports plays it straight. It's my go-it resource for objective information when I'm not familiar with the item that I'm shopping. What resource(s) do you use to decide what stroller/lawn mower/cordless drill to buy?

Sponsored

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Today isnā€™t a good day for me to read this thread. Jeep was in for repairs (again) for the past two days. I picked it up after getting a new seat and new rear axle only to hear a new noise in the rear end that wasnā€™t right. Took it back.

so far Iā€™ve had sever minor fixes, a new transmission (on day two of ownership), a new axle, new seat, and have a new radio on order. Mine was built on the Monday after the Church Picnic or something like that.

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Today isnā€™t a good day for me to read this thread. Jeep was in for repairs (again) for the past two days. I picked it up after getting a new seat and new rear axle only to hear a new noise in the rear end that wasnā€™t right. Took it back.

so far Iā€™ve had sever minor fixes, a new transmission (on day two of ownership), a new axle, new seat, and have a new radio on order. Mine was built on the Monday after the Church Picnic or something like that.
That's awful, sorry to hear that. I had a similar experience with a Toyota Tundra I had, and it was suppose to have the best reliability of anything out there. Clearly you got a bad one. I think on day two I would have said give me a new one if I new my whole transmission was shot. The tranny's in the Wranglers are really very well made in general. Hopefully things will straighten out now, if not, time for a lemon law claim. Good luck.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Iā€™ve got 35,000+ miles on the new tranny and it works like it should. Overall I love the Jeep but I donā€™t see how it can be rated at the top of the pack for reliability.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Consumer report is very unreliable source of information, they have very small data pool, consisting primarly of old white people who like to bitch. Their data is allways all over the place. Often times their reliability ratings are predicted based of other models of same brand if data is below their standard (200-300vehicles )

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Consumer Reports is very reliable and accurate when I agree with them and when I don't, they are full of shit. Same with everyone else, for that matter! ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: