Sponsored

CONSUMER REPORTS and Gladiators and Wranglers.

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Almost as good as JD Power...who paid the most to have the data skewed to their favor
JD Power is paid , as are all other mags and reports on vehicles. CR does not get any pay or accept advertising or promote any company. All funds are paid for by subscribers and subscriber donations.
Sponsored

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What's the difference between the JL and JT in terms of components, engines, etc. I thought they shared pretty much 90%+ of all the mechanicals and 100% of the electronics. How did CR get different results for the same model year? Sample size too small?

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I understand what you’re saying and my remark was a little tongue in cheek.

Perhaps CR has some new talent. My perception of CR is that they appealed to the guy with a bad hair cut who watches DIY shows on PBS and whose idea of dressing is to put on a tweed jacket.
Not really. They appeal to a more educated group, who want a journal that is not biased overall and gets their reliability data from actual subscribers. When not enough people respond on a certain model year of a vehicle it will state insufficient data in that line year. People watching PBS, yes more of them probably subscribe to CR, but that's because again, you are talking about a more educated group who watches and reads material that has a little more depth then perhaps your typical junk seen on many non- public channels. By the way, I don't wear tweed, but nice try, your showing your true colors here.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I understand what you’re saying and my remark was a little tongue in cheek.

Perhaps CR has some new talent. My perception of CR is that they appealed to the guy with a bad hair cut who watches DIY shows on PBS and whose idea of dressing is to put on a tweed jacket.
I subscribed for years and I resemble that remark.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
What's the difference between the JL and JT in terms of components, engines, etc. I thought they shared pretty much 90%+ of all the mechanicals and 100% of the electronics. How did CR get different results for the same model year? Sample size too small?
It's always way more complicated then that. The Gladiator rates as having a smooth ride, yet CR rates the Wrangler as choppy. Suspension is NOT the same and they made changes to some electrical components, but I'm to an engineer and as much as they seem so much the same, the slightest change or company that provides even a simple wire can alter the entire reliability of the vehicle. By the way, the 20 Wrangler rated Better then average and was substantially more reliable in the ratings then the 19 or 18. My 19 has been reliable.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

kgibbs29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Genesis G80 Sport
who want a journal that is not biased overall and gets their reliability data from actual subscribers.
And this is my main problem with CR, reliability data from actual subscribers. CR is much like internet reviews. Far more people posts complaints about something than good points of a product. But they are the experiences of people, so the complaints can be factored into one's own purchasing decisions.

Another problem with CR reliability date, we never seem to get full data information. Page 50, " Our 2020 Auto Reliability Surveys, based on feedback from CR members on about 329,000 vehicles, reveal the models and brands you can count on." How many CR members are there? How many of them provided the feedback on the 329,000 vehicles? How many of them provided data on Gladiator, Wrangler, Pacifica, etc.? I have never owned any of these, but I know 3.6L Penstar seems to be a popular choice for each of them. CR 2021 reliability prediction score for Wrangler (27), Pacifica (34) and Gladiator (99). Realizing engine is probably 1 of the 17 areas they survey and the other 16 weigh into the scoring, I cannot logically believe Gladiator prediction of 99 when, to my mind, the most heavily weighted area across all vehicles when determining reliability should be the engine.

kgibbs29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Genesis G80 Sport
Page 58, I find CR's opinion to be hysterical.

NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT
WHAT IT PROMISES: Tesla says this function will guide your car on the highway from “on-ramp to offramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal, and taking the correct exit.” A destination must be programmed into the navigation system for this function to work.
WHAT WE FOUND: The system can do all of those things, but we found that it performed inconsistently and raised serious safety concerns. It frequently moved into the passing lane, cutting off a swiftly approaching car, and remained in the passing lane for long periods of time. It would also disengage at times for no apparent reason.

I see this being done all the time on I66 in NOVA. It's called being a Toyota driver.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Not really. They appeal to a more educated group, who want a journal that is not biased overall and gets their reliability data from actual subscribers. When not enough people respond on a certain model year of a vehicle it will state insufficient data in that line year. People watching PBS, yes more of them probably subscribe to CR, but that's because again, you are talking about a more educated group who watches and reads material that has a little more depth then perhaps your typical junk seen on many non- public channels. By the way, I don't wear tweed, but nice try, your showing your true colors here.
Nice try at what? I have one TV in the house and it’s off 90% of the time. I don’t have cable. I’m well educated and employed. If you enjoy PBS, great. I enjoy some of their shows too. But I do find their DIY shows to be...lacking to some degree.

If my initial description had you imaging Bernie Sanders in khaki pants and a flannel shirt, making a composter out of repurposed wood in the backyard of a large New England home, that was my intention.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Or maybe they stopped rating boring, but good vehicles.
I think all the crabby old white guys retired and they got some folks under 30 yo do reviews. They've always knocked convertibles as "noisey".
JD Power is paid , as are all other mags and reports on vehicles. CR does not get any pay or accept advertising or promote any company. All funds are paid for by subscribers and subscriber donations.
True, but their butts are calibrated to Cadillac and Lexus. Anything fun, sporty or convertible angers the beady-eyed geezers that review cars.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Some day in the far distant future, when the nest is empty, I might have the time AND the inclination to read a magazine. Until then, it’s nice to see Jeep earn some street/trail cred.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
CR has never been wrong about the Wrangler as a typical commuter vehicle, though. Their arguments about Jeeps being unreliable, impractical as a daily driver, and getting abysmal gas mileage compared to other SUVs, crossovers, and cars are absolutely correct.

It's outside of that where they don't get it right. For example, this dipshit floors a JK Sahara up a bunch of rocks with wet street tires and then complains about its "so-so" off-road capability.