Sponsored

Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Look at this beauty! 2 doors look like jeeps
Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? IMG_20210411_183850437

Ok I am gonna say it. Most people are AFRAID of owning a 2 door cause they're too fat. There, that's the truth.

and those saying you can barely go camping with 2 people are bringing too much crap. Without the rear bench there is SO much space for gear in the 2 door.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The drivers seat is the same size in both?
Yeah I know it is irrational. theyre afraid if they have to go to the rear bench they wont fit or something. Fat people tend to prefer bigger cars in general. Not sure if it is psychological or what.

I am just jking btw.

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? overweight-gay-men-on-jeep-at-gay-pride-rome-2007-AD92GH

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? maxresdefault

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm just glad we have a choice, though wishing the 2dr was coming out w/ that 392, and a 2dr Gladiator would be beautiful. And also more aftermarket support for us shorties :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? 1618338713705

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Buy a little utility trailer to pull behind the Jerp instead of buying a truck. Easier to load and unload than a truck and you can leave it at home for that 99% of the time you're not hauling anything.
I intend to keep the Jeep for a long while. It's my first new vehicle and 30th birthday gift to myself... When I was younger, I always thought it was cool when an old guy has his pristine baby he bought new back in the day in his garage. I want to be that guy in 30-40 years, hopefully this Jeep will be that baby with nothing more then mild modifications. With that said, I know overtime my needs will change. Home ownership, potential kids assuming I ever find someone that will make them with me. So buying a second vehicle sometime next year will help keep the Jeep around in good shape.

Last edited:

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The insecurity people have about it that makes them have to say "a real Jeep has 2 doors" is pretty entertaining.
Just like how "real" jeeps have round headlights, or solid axles or....
Love my 2 door but it's not good for overlanding
What is "overlanding"? I hear and see it thrown around so much but I think I don't know what it is. Isn't it camping? I go camping all the time with my 2 door with room to spare. I used to go camping with my motorcycle. Plenty of people travel the world on motorcycles or bikes and I don't believe they have any more room than a JL.
those saying you can barely go camping with 2 people are bringing too much crap. Without the rear bench there is SO much space for gear in the 2 door.
If you pull the rear seat out of a 2 door you have more room in the back than a 4 door does with the seats in place. If two people don't have enough room in a 2 door to go camping there is no way 4 people will have enough room in a 4 door.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Just like how "real" jeeps have round headlights, or solid axles or....

What is "overlanding"? I hear and see it thrown around so much but I think I don't know what it is. Isn't it camping? I go camping all the time with my 2 door with room to spare. I used to go camping with my motorcycle. Plenty of people travel the world on motorcycles or bikes and I don't believe they have any more room than a JL.

If you pull the rear seat out of a 2 door you have more room in the back than a 4 door does with the seats in place. If two people don't have enough room in a 2 door to go camping there is no way 4 people will have enough room in a 4 door.
Overlanding is more about traveling large distances offroad while camping along the way. 100, 200, even 300 plus miles without going back to civilization. Carrying all the gear, supplies, and fuel required for such an adventure, although doable in a 2 door, is much easier in a 4 door. A lot of overlanders swear by the roof top tent, which not only looks silly on a 2 door, but completely blocks opening any part of the roof. I like tougher trails than typical overlanders and wouldn't put a rack or a tent on the roof as it raises the center of gravity. Most overlanders run some form of 4 door rig, usually with just 2 passengers. The fridge and pantry setup usually takes up the entire rear cargo area with the rest of the gear in the back seat. Obviously this is a generalized view of the hobby, but you get the idea.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If two people don't have enough room in a 2 door to go camping there is no way 4 people will have enough room in a 4 door.
Well there is more room on the roof :)

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Overlanding is more about traveling large distances offroad while camping along the way. 100, 200, even 300 plus miles without going back to civilization. Carrying all the gear, supplies, and fuel required for such an adventure, although doable in a 2 door, is much easier in a 4 door. A lot of overlanders swear by the roof top tent, which not only looks silly on a 2 door, but completely blocks opening any part of the roof. I like tougher trails than typical overlanders and wouldn't put a rack or a tent on the roof as it raises the center of gravity. Most overlanders run some form of 4 door rig, usually with just 2 passengers. The fridge and pantry setup usually takes up the entire rear cargo area with the rest of the gear in the back seat. Obviously this is a generalized view of the hobby, but you get the idea.
Most real overlanders travel in vans, old suvs, and even sedans. It is about international travel by car mostly. The new hype in overlanding is really "off-road camping". I like to call it overcamping 99% of people on this hobby would be better served with a trailer, but the industry really wants to push the whole RTT thing.

Now there is a 1% of people going for long periods of time on some really harsh terrain, where they pick harsh terrain, sometimes uncharted. In this case the rugged overlanding rig makes sense. 4 door wrangler, tundra, tacoma, 4runner, etc... big rigs work for this. But in all seriousness, who is actually overlanding on extremely difficult terrain?. The reality is that for most people a 2 door and a small offroad trailer would work as well as the 4 door, unless you wanna take a big family with you.

Also, a roof top tent is not any different than a ground tent in most situations, unless you are trying to cross the amazon. So an RTT really is a waste of payload capacity and cargo space.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Most real overlanders travel in vans, old suvs, and even sedans. It is about international travel by car mostly. The new hype in overlanding is really "off-road camping". I like to call it overcamping 99% of people on this hobby would be better served with a trailer, but the industry really wants to push the whole RTT thing.

Now there is a 1% of people going for long periods of time on some really harsh terrain, where they pick harsh terrain, sometimes uncharted. In this case the rugged overlanding rig makes sense. 4 door wrangler, tundra, tacoma, 4runner, etc... big rigs work for this. But in all seriousness, who is actually overlanding on extremely difficult terrain?. The reality is that for most people a 2 door and a small offroad trailer would work as well as the 4 door, unless you wanna take a big family with you.

Also, a roof top tent is not any different than a ground tent in most situations, unless you are trying to cross the amazon. So an RTT really is a waste of payload capacity and cargo space.
Mostly agree, although switch back shelf roads with a trailer are not on the list of things I'd want to do. Some of those trailers are pretty sweet, but I tend to drive too fast off road to want a trailer bouncing around behind me. Add in that California won't let me drive over 55mph with a trailer no matter how small it is and the massive price tag on the high end trailers and I'll stick with my tent on the ground. To each his own and that is the beauty of the jeep and off roading in general, variety and adaptability.

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
I did't realize about the difference in ride. I have always just liked the traditional 2 door.
In my experience it was more a JK v JL thing. My JKUR was squirrelly on the highway and just a bear for road trips. My JLR is a breeze in comparison. I'd bet the 4 door JL is even better with the longer wheel base, but I would take the 2 door JL over a 4 door JK for pavement/highway anyday.

Side bonus, the 2 door has a MUCH tighter turning radius than the 4 door (or our subaru!)

The 2 door with a trailer is awesome!

the jeep is little getting through the mall parking lot, the top is easier to take off, removing the doors takes half the time, and I hook up the trailer when we need space for gear (we take the dogs camping, so they take up most of the cargo area)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mostly agree, although switch back shelf roads with a trailer are not on the list of things I'd want to do. Some of those trailers are pretty sweet, but I tend to drive too fast off road to want a trailer bouncing around behind me. Add in that California won't let me drive over 55mph with a trailer no matter how small it is and the massive price tag on the high end trailers and I'll stick with my tent on the ground. To each his own and that is the beauty of the jeep and off roading in general, variety and adaptability.
I agree and of course the 4 door is more practical. It is the future of Jeep unless they increase the wheelbase of the JL a bit. Like Bronco did. The consumer wants the extra room.

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
How about Jeep makes another LJ. A 2 door which is the classic looking Jeep but has a little extra room and because of that a slightly better ride, etc. I personally think the proportions or "look" of the LJ are perfect. Jeep add 2 feet to the two door JL(half that in the passenger area) and it will sell like crazy. I love my LJ(have owned 3) but I'm getting older(soft?) and I would appreciate a heated seat, plush ride, etc... Build the perfect Jeep for us, a 2 door that has the space most of us could live with or love.

Rant over, thanks for listening.
Jeep, are you listening?
Sponsored