Sponsored

Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The 2 door was never intended to be a heavy hauler or even a 'sports/ute'. It's a Jeep. It's first function is as a super capable off road vehicle. Can it haul 6,000 lbs? Of course not. But the truck you buy that can, can't make it over obstacles the Jeep can. It's widely known as a "trade off". If you need a heavy duty work truck, thats what you need to buy. Not a 2 door Wrangler.
It's a ridiculous comparison.
Towing 2,000 lbs is a far cry from hauling 6,000 lbs. That's Subaru forester territory. That's not heavy hauling. A rav4 can tow up to 3500 lbs. The 2 door jeep is good at 1 thing and it's not hauling anything. There no space, towing capacity so low I wouldn't bother with a trailer, handles poorly at speed, etc. I wheel where steep and of camber ledges are common. Not to mention the short wheelbase doesn't absorb the rough terrain at all. Wheel what you like, but suggesting a 2 door and a trailer is just bad advice in my opinion.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Maybe in your world, in mine it's much more than adequate.
Find a worse handling new car, truck, or suv? Find any vehicle with a factory tow package with less capacity? Find a less luxurious vehicle with a starting price over $30k? It's great at being a convertible off roader and one of the worst at everything else. I'd still drive a 2 door Wrangler over most other vehicles, because off road, but it really isn't good at most things vehicle related.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Towing 2,000 lbs is a far cry from hauling 6,000 lbs. That's Subaru forester territory. That's not heavy hauling. A rav4 can tow up to 3500 lbs. The 2 door jeep is good at 1 thing and it's not hauling anything. There no space, towing capacity so low I wouldn't bother with a trailer, handles poorly at speed, etc. I wheel where steep and of camber ledges are common. Not to mention the short wheelbase doesn't absorb the rough terrain at all. Wheel what you like, but suggesting a 2 door and a trailer is just bad advice in my opinion.
So why not get a Gladiator then? It can tow more, haul more, is more stable, rides better, etc.

Obviously the breakover angle is better, but one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that the suspension articulation is more effective with a shorter wheelbase.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So why not get a Gladiator then? It can tow more, haul more, is more stable, rides better, etc.

Obviously the breakover angle is better, but one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that the suspension articulation is more effective with a shorter wheelbase.
Being the most off road worthy truck on the market comes with too many compromises. It's too long for a lot of trails. Breakover and departure angles are bad even on 40's. And for actual truck use the payload and towing aren't all that good either. That being said, if we had to own just 1 vehicle the gladiator with a diesel might be it. I'm not sure what you mean by articulation being "more effective", in my experience the 2 door will lift a tire on obstacles where longer wheelbases don't very often. For my type of wheeling, in all the various rigs I've owned, built, and wheeled with, 109-115" wheelbase is really the best all around. Shorter rides rough, lifts a tire too easy, and gets tippy on steep obstacles. Longer (including our jlu) drags the belly more often than I'd like and just can't manuever around some of the really tight spots. Obviously we chose belly dragging and extra stability as our compromise, as the perfect new wheeler just doesn't exist.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? 13114_A

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4×12 x5/8" thick is standard drywall size in construction applications and yes it weighs 98lbs per sheet (and they are still shipped in pairs). My point was 2,000 lbs is nothing. A 2 door wrangler is one of the worst utility vehicles on the market. Great offroad and barely adequate anywhere else.
Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? 13114_A

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being the most off road worthy truck on the market comes with too many compromises. It's too long for a lot of trails. Breakover and departure angles are bad even on 40's. And for actual truck use the payload and towing aren't all that good either. That being said, if we had to own just 1 vehicle the gladiator with a diesel might be it. I'm not sure what you mean by articulation being "more effective", in my experience the 2 door will lift a tire on obstacles where longer wheelbases don't very often. For my type of wheeling, in all the various rigs I've owned, built, and wheeled with, 109-115" wheelbase is really the best all around. Shorter rides rough, lifts a tire too easy, and gets tippy on steep obstacles. Longer (including our jlu) drags the belly more often than I'd like and just can't manuever around some of the really tight spots. Obviously we chose belly dragging and extra stability as our compromise, as the perfect new wheeler just doesn't exist.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got a fly fishing trip up at the miracle mile next month and was wondering why they’re spamming me wader ads lol.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Find a worse handling new car, truck, or suv? Find any vehicle with a factory tow package with less capacity? Find a less luxurious vehicle with a starting price over $30k? It's great at being a convertible off roader and one of the worst at everything else. I'd still drive a 2 door Wrangler over most other vehicles, because off road, but it really isn't good at most things vehicle related.
Enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine.
Ignore him.... trolling is all he is doing... Talking pure chitt ....was getting so deep, I had to get the waders out.. 8-)

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Ignore him.... trolling is all he is doing... Chitt was getting so deep, I had to get the waders out.. 8-)
It's all good, he feels strongly about the 4 door, and it's still a free country :)

Raven99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Clubs

I bought a new 21 2 door rubi. This is my third 2 door but not back to back.
I been asked so many times why I didn't get a 4 door.
Just a vent post. But does everyone get this???
And one buddy said 4 door is better resale!!! LOL YEA SOOOO!!!
Personally I would never get a 4 door ever. I don't need 4 door or care for them!
I never considered a 4 door Wrangler. To me *The Jeep Silhouette* is the two door proportion. To each his own though. We are blessed to have choices #America

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Ignore him.... trolling is all he is doing... Talking pure chitt ....was getting so deep, I had to get the waders out.. 8-)
Trolling would be saying the rav4 and other cute utes are more of a truck than your 2 door, I was just sharing facts like a Subaru station wagon has the same towing capacity.

rockskiscuba

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2021
Love my 2 door but it's not good for overlanding, driving on highway, going up/down steep inclines, hauling passengers... but very maneuverable and, with careful planning, can handle a few days of camping for 2. I bought my 2 door with narrow Colorado mining roads in mind, but it's proven helpful in the Nevada desert and, just yesterday, in the Pinyon forests on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Fortunately my wife has also had fun with the 2 door, so much so that she now wants to trade her car for a Jeep!!! 👊🏻 (It will be a 4 door;)

20210411_124957.jpg
Sponsored