Sponsored

Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I wanted to be able to do a U-turn inside my garage.
Was going to change the oil on the TJ once and knew a buddy of mine with a JKU was coming over to help with the beer drinking. So I ran out and parked the TJ sideways in my two car garage just because I could. It was kind of a running joke between him and I. He had to get a 4 door because kids,. When out anywhere together if I was leading I'd find excuses to do u-turns. Not just on trails I'd do it if he was following me to dinner. Purposely make a wrong turn then grab the radio "oh oops, wrong way sorry" flip a u-turn and speed off the other direction just to hear him say "asshole" over the radio.

I've been asked a time or three about 2 door rather than 4 door. Once I recall was a coworker who had a 4 door, he asked it with a laugh and a smile. Once was my brother. Once was a friend of mine who was buying his first Jeep. The friend is the only one I've ever not made jokes with about it, but he was genuinely curious and I pointed out break over angle and maneuverability on the trail. He bought a JLU sport at about the same time I bought my JL Rubicon. We ran Hackett Gulch together shortly after and he really struggled. He didn't like hearing his belly drag and just being a noob. I was bringing up the rear of our little group and one point after he cleared some obstacle he came back to watch me trying to see how I did it. Just 4 low slow crawl right through non-issue. He made some comment like "this is just a sunday drive for you!" yep, yep it is. A few weeks later his JLU was gone, he was back in a car for commuting and kid work and picked up a TJ Rubicon to do trails with.

Yes, in Moab in certain places you can get into tippy situations with a 2 door where a 4 door is fine. But most of my wheeling is in Colorado where you'll run out of traction well before you reach those angles. It's my opinion that for the trails I do break over is much more important than how steep of an incline I can tackle before I roll ass over teakettle. In all my years of wheeling 2 door Jeeps I've never endo'd a Jeep or even seen it in real life. But I have high centered and I see that all of the time now with 4 doors. So I bought what I think is the best tool for me.
Sponsored

Keith C

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
High School Athletic Director/ Track Timer
Wow, There are some people with some strong opinions on here!
Perhaps the people asking were genuinely asking why you chose the 2 door over the 4 door. Perhaps they were trying to start a conversation.
Perhaps they just don't know any better.
I liken the question to "Why did you get red?" The answer doesn't really matter, just people making conversation, not necessarily judging you.
I chose a 4 door because I wanted the bigger vehicle to have people fit in it and since I traded in my F150 for it, I still wanted the ability to haul some stuff.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
The insecurity people have about it that makes them have to say "a real Jeep has 2 doors" is pretty entertaining.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I too get asked the same question....as if people don't realize that before 2007, ALL Jeeps were 2 Dr.
I tell people: "'this is MY Jeep.....its not the family car.....its not the wife's....Its Mine and mine only......just like my Corvette" I dont need 4 Doors. It easily fits 4 adults if needed.

Most of all I use my Jeep in the Woods where there are NO roads or trails and the 2 Dr Jeep can get through and around trees because of its very tight turning radius.

Deer #1 2020.jpg

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I too get asked the same question....as if people don't realize that before 2007, ALL Jeeps were 2 Dr.
I tell people: "'this is MY Jeep.....its not the family car.....its not the wife's....Its Mine and mine only......just like my Corvette" I dont need 4 Doors. It easily fits 4 adults if needed.

Most of all I use my Jeep in the Woods where there are NO roads or trails and the 2 Dr Jeep can get through and around trees because of its very tight turning radius.

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? Deer #1 2020
Driving off trails is getting our access stripped every day, but we are glad you bought the jeep that helps you feed the tree huggers fire getting trails closed because you're too cool and to maneuverable to stay on them.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Acf130

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I personally prefer the look (and price) of the 2 door. I also don’t have kids. If I had kids I might have considered the 4 door. For now the 2d fits the wife and pooch just fine. I drove a 4d and it felt like a behemoth. All personal preference and both are fun as heck.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
After having a few TJ’s and TJ Unlimiteds I finally bought a 4 door JL.
Back when the JK’s first hit the streets I remember thinking theres no way they will ever be able to navigate the tight trails we were running at the time, well guess what?, the trails evolved to fit the longer 4 door Jeeps. Very rarely do I see a trail nowadays that a 4 door can’t navigate and on almost all obstacles a 4 door actually performs better.

Edit: and I swear my 4 door Rubicon can turn sharper than the TJ Unlimited I just sold.

Dan Richie

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I bought a new 21 2 door rubi. This is my third 2 door but not back to back.
I been asked so many times why I didn't get a 4 door.
Just a vent post. But does everyone get this???
And one buddy said 4 door is better resale!!! LOL YEA SOOOO!!!
Personally I would never get a 4 door ever. I don't need 4 door or care for them!
I pick up my 2-door Rubicon on Wednesday. I don’t e en have it and have been asked the same thing. I just tell them,it looks better and it’s only the wife, me,2- dogs and a YETI

Sponsored

PierreNL

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL sport s 2021 6spd,Vw Golf 2020
Occupation
Retired
I have been driving 2 door manual jeep for the last 50 years and loved them all.
I also drive a manual VW Golf with 4 doors for family trips.
If I had one vehicle only I would have gotten the 4 door manual.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned 2dr's but now pitch a roadhouse tarp, throw the air mattress and sleep in the 4dr. It's really nice. Also carry a ton of gear...

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? 1618268578175

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I have been driving 2 door manual jeep for the last 50 years and loved them all.
I also drive a manual VW Golf with 4 doors for family trips.
If I had one vehicle only I would have gotten the 4 door manual.
Your big vehicle is a golf, that's almost as funny as our jlur on 37's being our most fuel efficient.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
4×12 x5/8" thick is standard drywall size in construction applications and yes it weighs 98lbs per sheet (and they are still shipped in pairs). My point was 2,000 lbs is nothing. A 2 door wrangler is one of the worst utility vehicles on the market. Great offroad and barely adequate anywhere else.
The 2 door was never intended to be a heavy hauler or even a 'sports/ute'. It's a Jeep. It's first function is as a super capable off road vehicle. Can it haul 6,000 lbs? Of course not. Nor is it intended too. But the truck you buy that can, can't make it over obstacles the Jeep can. It's widely known as a "trade off". If you need a heavy duty work truck, that's what you need to buy. Not a 2 door Jeep.
It's a ridiculous comparison.

BTW: I have nothing against the JLU, it just didn't suit my needs. Still a bad-ass Jeep either way.
Sponsored