Sponsored

Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve literally never been asked that, but then again we own both. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, but her JLUR is pretty strong in most things.

I wanted my soft top, low option, manual two-door for my own and I love it. If it was my only vehicle it would feel a bit limited to me, but we do have six kids.

D73FCB31-1A93-438A-BCBF-0775542EAD61.jpeg

B3C1E6C3-C070-483E-84B2-9E9FAF363E02.jpeg
Sponsored

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
I grew up driving my step dad's CJ-5, then I bought YJ, a TJ and now a JL, all 2 door, and I've never once been asked why I got a 2 Door. Of course I guess in all fairness, 4Door wasn't an option for for for the first 2 and only part of the time while I had the TJ ( I had the TJ for 18 years, and the JK 4Doors came out during that 18 years).

If you have kids, I totally get the 4door, but since it's mostly my wife and I, 2 door is the way to go for us. Fits nicely in the garage, city parking spots and on the trails.

So be happy with your 2 door and others should be happy for you too. If they don't like it, they can buy what the want.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki

Watch the 2 doors coming down the wall and you'll see one of the many reasons there are way more 4 doors on the trails, at least out west. The short wheelbase is unstable and super sketchy on steep climbs and descents even when they aren't off camber. Every 2 door I've wheeled with in the past 15 years has either flopped or stretched the wheelbase or both. Buy for your use case and your preference, but hauling more people is not the only reason more people buy 4 doors.
It taks a lot of effort to focus on the Jeep.

Kevin is just a regular dude. How come he has all of those hot girls hanging around him? He needs to learn to share.

It is your money and you worked hard for it. Buy what makes you happy. Ignore the haters.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've not [yet] been asked about my decision to add the U to my JL purchase. Just the occasional "Nice Jeep" comments.

My first Wrangler was a YJ, and I still miss the coziness of the two door Jeeps. From the inside, my four door feels like a lifted station wagon, which is essentially what it is.

In the strictest sense of things, I don't need the four door Wrangler. I chose it over the two door JL because it was replacing a truck, and I wanted something in my back pocket as it concerns cargo space. It's also neat to have 4WD and a convertible top in the same back pocket.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The problem with that plan is the towing capacity is so low on a 2 door it is barely worth the effort. Most small utility trailers weigh around 1,000lbs empty. There goes half your towing capacity before you pick anything up. A 4x12 sheet of drywall weighs ~105 lbs, you'll need a lot of trips at that tiny load limit. A 4 door has an extra 1500lb towing capacity, still not a great work truck but usable enough.
are you referring to British pounds?
I have a 4x6 utility trailer i bought at lowes. It weighs 300lbs. The 4x8 version is 325lbs.

and maybe its just a socal thing but our drywall comes in 4x8 sheets, just like plywood and if they weighed 100lbs there’d be no way id be able to carry a sheet by myself, especially with how big they are. Maybe youre thinking of 100lbs because theyre stocked in pairs but you can buy them individually. Either way, with a basic utility trailer a 2 door jeep can tow a lot of drywall or plywood. And we’re also talking about towing from the local store, not across state lines.

ive seen two door Jeeps with off road trailers that likely weigh more than my utility trailer buried in drywall

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
I have only been asked once in the 1.5 years since getting my 2 door. I went from a Corvette to the Wrangler so my answer was easy. So I don't have to, nor asked to, haul people around. Happiness is driving without a car full of passengers. To be honest, no hard core Jeeper thinking went into it. We're empty nesters and didn't need a 4 Dr. More room in the garage with a 2 Dr over a 4 Dr is an added bonus.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
are you referring to British pounds?
I have a 4x6 utility trailer i bought at lowes. It weighs 300lbs. The 4x8 version is 325lbs.

and maybe its just a socal thing but our drywall comes in 4x8 sheets, just like plywood and if they weighed 100lbs there’d be no way id be able to carry a sheet by myself, especially with how big they are. Maybe youre thinking of 100lbs because theyre stocked in pairs but you can buy them individually. Either way, with a basic utility trailer a 2 door jeep can tow a lot of drywall or plywood. And we’re also talking about towing from the local store, not across state lines.

ive seen two door Jeeps with off road trailers that likely weigh more than my utility trailer buried in drywall
4×12 x5/8" thick is standard drywall size in construction applications and yes it weighs 98lbs per sheet (and they are still shipped in pairs). My point was 2,000 lbs is nothing. A 2 door wrangler is one of the worst utility vehicles on the market. Great offroad and barely adequate anywhere else.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
As a purist coming from a '99 TJ and '80 CJ, the 2-door Sport was a no-brainer. Back seat was removed as soon as we got our new JL home, and will probably never get installed again. Just my wife and I with no kids, and a cat who couldn't care less about riding in any vehicle with us. As before, just needed a compact 4x4 convertible that we could use as a short commute D/D and weekend/off-road fun machine that we could park in our garage without taking up a lot of space. Few vehicles meet these requirements, so it's the perfect one for us.

That said, I'd never disparage any 4-door owner (or even this: 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 Limousine in Blue Springs, Missouri, United States (IronPlanet Item #4525912)), as we all have different needs and use cases, and there's no doubt that the 4-door has its own pros and cons. As I've expressed elsewhere in this forum, the vast difference in all our beloved Jeeps is what makes our community so unique and fun. If people don't subscribe to that ideology, they should at least appreciate that we all pay good $$$ for these vehicles, so it's nobody's business what we buy, how we equip them, and what we do with them.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I had to order my Rubi 2-door as finding any 2-door JL on a dealers lot was challenging...Maybe if dealers showed more 2-doors, they would sell more! My JLR is just damm sexy & fun, for me-would not even think of buying a 4-door Jeep...
However, I do have a Ram Longhorn 4x4 when I need to transport more than just my girl & me or when I need to haul something :)

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Why choose? I have one of each! I offroad my 2 door JL, but use my JKU for family stuff. I have seen advantages of the 4 door off road on inclines and certain spans like logs, but they do struggle on the tighter turns (no way on the Gladiator, plus fitting that in my garage). Overlanding though - for THAT I wish I had a 4 door although am thinking a small offroad trailer could fix that well enough.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I wanted to be able to do a U-turn inside my garage.
My garage door actually broke and I WAS able to manuever my JKU out the 3rd bay even though it was parked way on the left 2 bay side.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
I bought a new 21 2 door rubi. This is my third 2 door but not back to back.
I been asked so many times why I didn't get a 4 door.
Just a vent post. But does everyone get this???
And one buddy said 4 door is better resale!!! LOL YEA SOOOO!!!
Personally I would never get a 4 door ever. I don't need 4 door or care for them!
Because I wanted a REAL Jeep.
Sponsored