Sponsored

Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I bought a new 21 2 door rubi. This is my third 2 door but not back to back.
I been asked so many times why I didn't get a 4 door.
Just a vent post. But does everyone get this???
And one buddy said 4 door is better resale!!! LOL YEA SOOOO!!!
Personally I would never get a 4 door ever. I don't need 4 door or care for them!
@slick

Tell them all to get frucked!

Not all of us want to drive a Jeep Bus / Jeep SUV... To each his own..
Sponsored

nashsnazzy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
When I had my 2 door sport I was asked why I didn't get a Rubicon. Now that I have a 2 door Rubi I've been asked why I didn't get the 4 door or a Gladiator. I live in town and I prefer the super tight turning radius and AMAZING visibility I get with the 2 door. I leave the back seat out and the 2 door has plenty of utility in that configuration.

Last edited:

lawffroad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Nobody has asked me. 2 doors are fairly popular down here. I already have a 4 door pickup anyway.

The JL 2 door rides much better than the JK 2 door. I was so impressed when I test drove it that I knew I wanted to buy it.

As far as resale? Of course the 4 door has better resale, it cost more to begin with. Same goes for Rubicons. After 5 years it doesn’t matter much though, condition and miles are what count for resale.
Plus the 2 door separates you from all the mall crawlers :whew:
just kidding. I got the 2 door bc it really all that was in the budget for a JL and makes the most sense as someone with no kids

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
Enjoyed this thread. My 2 door arrives in a few weeks. I had no idea that I might be asked this question. Interesting.

My last jeep was a TJ, so the thought of 4 doors, back then, would have been blasphemy. I remember the first time I saw the LJ. It looked weird. That stretched frame gave it better highway manners and extra interior cargo capacity to sell to those needing the space. If I knew then, that the increased wheelbase would ordain the LJ a unicorn, I would have traded up.

This year, I considered a used LJ. I almost ordered a 4 door JL for the wheelbase. I didn't. For me, it's just my personal preference to keep with the legacy DNA of the military vehicle designated general purpose (gp = jeep). I will be removing the Wrangler decals.

If asked why I didn't get a 4 door, I might reply, "Rat Patrol," wink, lower my goggles, and drive...

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link

Watch the 2 doors coming down the wall and you'll see one of the many reasons there are way more 4 doors on the trails, at least out west. The short wheelbase is unstable and super sketchy on steep climbs and descents even when they aren't off camber. Every 2 door I've wheeled with in the past 15 years has either flopped or stretched the wheelbase or both. Buy for your use case and your preference, but hauling more people is not the only reason more people buy 4 doors.
Did that trail in a 2 door and I did not take that line, but the line where she was filming from.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
Personally I would never get a 4 door ever. I don't need 4 door or care for them!

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I just bought a 2dr Rubicon and get asked that too! I ask them why would you get a four door? Jeeps are supposed to be small and short wheelbase...ITS A JEEP!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Did that trail in a 2 door and I did not take that line, but the line where she was filming from.
Most trails have a bypass for the really steep ledges. It was just a quick example of just how much of a difference the extra wheelbase makes when the trail gets really steep. That extra maneuverability helps in driving around the obstacles😂.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Look up Grandpa's Jeep on YouTube (or Stan Fuller) to see the capability of a zero door jeep Willys. It is fascinating watching what obstacles he can overcome in such a humble vehicle. The constrast between his little Jeep and the typical 4 door wrangler on the Moab trails is striking.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
‘ Cause I wanted a Jeep😏. Wife, dog and I-don’t need 4 drs. Backseat came out when I got it home and will stay in the basement for the life of the Jeep. Got a 4 dr truck and an SUV. I like the maneuverability and general “handiness” of the 2dr.

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
I actually had the exact opposite happen. I did buy a 4 door (wanted extra room to sleep overnight inside) and most of the people I know asked why I didn't get a 2 door and save some money.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Luckily my few friends also have Jeeps, lol

Jeep Wrangler JL Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else? 1618187424133

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Cause I don't like the look of the 4 door. I wanted a 2 door manual but thought it was impractical for my main daily driver vehicle. I had been hoping that Jeep would come out with a 2 door pickup. Was quite disappointed when the only version they came out with was a 4 door. I didn't really want the "huge" Gladiator sitting in my garage but don't really like the 4 door Wrangler so ordered the Gladiator. After a couple weeks of second guessing myself, I decided WTF and broke down and ordered my 2 door manual Wrangler too. Couldn't be happier with that decision.
I would have bought the Gladiator 2dr in a freaking HEARTBEAT. The 4dr pile-0-crap that FCA gave us is an abomination.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
If you are a single guy/girl, or a couple with no kids, you can easily get away with the 2-door.
agreed. i'm the only one that in the jl. so the 2 door works great.

The only drawbacks of owning a 2-door, IMO, are the squirrelly handling on the freeway, and the odd time you need to get a big box from Ikea or Home Depot and it don’t fit. Everything else is a plus: amazing maneuverability in town and on the trails, cool looks; it was even surprisingly fun to toss on the curves on CA-330 going up to Big Bear.
i didnt find the handling that bad on the interstate . other than the crosswind. i agree on the limited space for the larger items and the capability of the 2 door.

i'll admit that i did test drive a 4 door sport. i did like it. but i really didnt need anything bigger than a 2 door.
Sponsored