Sponsored

Constantly asked why didn't I get a 4 door!!!! Anyone else?

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
As I've mentioned on other threads, for me, a Jeep is a two door vehicle. Always has been. The Jeeps I loved as a kid, and was lucky enough to ride around in, back in the 1960's, were all two doors. My great uncle had a WWII Army surplus Jeep he painted white that he used on his farm. We loved riding in the back of it, hanging on for dear life so we didn't get bounced out of the back when he went thru his creek. My next door neighbor's babysitter had a Red 1967 CJ-5 that she used to take us to get ice cream in.

Those are Jeeps to me. A four door is a really nice SUV, and I certainly understand why folks like them. But for me, they're not what I consider a Jeep, and not something I'd ever have an interest in buying. I've wanted a Jeep for going on sixty years, and I was lucky enough to finally buy a new one in 2019. I'm glad FCA makes the four door Wrangler, it has probably kept Jeep in the black, and I certainly understand that other folks love them, and that's great. Just not for me.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
The problem with that plan is the towing capacity is so low on a 2 door it is barely worth the effort. Most small utility trailers weigh around 1,000lbs empty. There goes half your towing capacity before you pick anything up. A 4x12 sheet of drywall weighs ~105 lbs, you'll need a lot of trips at that tiny load limit. A 4 door has an extra 1500lb towing capacity, still not a great work truck but usable enough.
I'm always towing over the limit in my TJ. It has the same drivetrain as the Cherokee rated at 6,000 lbs. It's reduced due to braking with the short wheelbase. A trailer with brakes would be a wiser choice if I did any long-distance hauling. Towed several pallets of sod one at a time across town with no problems. So much easier to pull sod out of a trailer than the back of a truck. Got a 4-door coming that doesn't have 23 year old springs that should be an improvememt.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Everyone tends to feel like THEIR choice was the RIGHT choice....

Lots of reasons to buy a 4 door and lots of reason to buy a 2 door.

If you are into hard core wheeling, and get yourself into situations like "the wall" where longer wheelbase is your fried, go that route.

If you are into hard core wheeling and the trails are tight, the shorter wheelbase is better.

But how many folks here are really buying one of these $40k machines to just hard core offroad given the amount of potential damage etc?

I agree that the 2 door is a little more squirrely at high speeds.....that's the wheel base factoring in. But IMHO the 4 door isnt THAT much better in that regard.....these vehicles are not made for cornering hard or driving at top speed...I dont care of you CAN get one with the HEMI...LOL

And the folks that buy the 4 doors and then add huge tires and lifts, well, those wont handle much better on the highway.

"Flopping over" is an issue with any high COG vehicle.

My wife got her 2 door after years of 4 door mom-mobiles. Now that the kiddos are more or less grown and gone, the extra 4 doors -and the extra cost to go with them -- is un-needed. I have my 4 door crew cab Ram for when we have to haul a lot of crap.....the 2 door will haul enough for a two person trip, even with a pop up tent and a medium cooler and a couple chairs. (We did some testing yesterday), yet to actually take a trip in this one).

As for back seat space, our salesman , a 5-10 to 6' tall medium build guy rode in the back while we were up front. It isnt luxuirous space wise in the back but if an 8 year old "cant fit" back there, well......

Will be testing that theory again today when our 21 year old 6' tall son may be in back, swapping places with my 5'10" wife......now me, at 6'3 and 300lbs, aint fitting back there...LOL

Personally I have always lived the looks of the two door Jeeps all the way back to 1941.

Adding two doors opened up a market for Jeep. And it makes sense for many.

But we are ecstatic about our Snazzberry Red 2 door 80th anniversary.

But we need mud flaps...got our first rock chip. :(

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Watch the 2 doors coming down the wall and you'll see one of the many reasons there are way more 4 doors on the trails, at least out west. The short wheelbase is unstable and super sketchy on steep climbs and descents even when they aren't off camber. Every 2 door I've wheeled with in the past 15 years has either flopped or stretched the wheelbase or both. Buy for your use case and your preference, but hauling more people is not the only reason more people buy 4 doors.
Heading out to Moab about a month after I get my 4xe. Will be interesting to see what the max regeneration does on steep descents.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Watch the 2 doors coming down the wall and you'll see one of the many reasons there are way more 4 doors on the trails, at least out west. The short wheelbase is unstable and super sketchy on steep climbs and descents even when they aren't off camber. Every 2 door I've wheeled with in the past 15 years has either flopped or stretched the wheelbase or both. Buy for your use case and your preference, but hauling more people is not the only reason more people buy 4 doors.
True. as jeeps keep getting taller a longer wheelbase makes more sense. If going 37s the 4 door makes more sense. For extreme off roading with super extreme steep sketchy inclines, a lifted 4 door. But for everything else the 2 door still better.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let's not forget that it's not always OUR choice. 2-door doesn't have the diesel, 4xe or 392 options.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a new 21 2 door rubi. This is my third 2 door but not back to back.
I been asked so many times why I didn't get a 4 door.
Just a vent post. But does everyone get this???
And one buddy said 4 door is better resale!!! LOL YEA SOOOO!!!
Personally I would never get a 4 door ever. I don't need 4 door or care for them!
I get asked “Why didn’t you buy a Rubicon?”

So, we are even... ;)

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
I like to be difficult.... If anyone asks I'll be telling them that my Jeep IS a 4 door.

I have two sets of doors! Two full doors and two half doors.... That makes it a 4 door, technically!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
True. as jeeps keep getting taller a longer wheelbase makes more sense. If going 37s the 4 door makes more sense. For extreme off roading with super extreme steep sketchy inclines, a lifted 4 door. But for everything else the 2 door still better.
I wouldn't say everything else, wheelbase adds stability everywhere. 80+ on I-70 (windy for a freeway with an 80mph speed limit) is scary in a 2 door. 70+ drifting in the desert, I'll pass on the 2 door there too. Have more than 1 friend or family member? Have you ever seen a 6'4" man try to sit in the back of a 2 door? Overlanding and want to bring more than a 6 pack and a sandwich? 4 door wins again. The 2 door is more maneuverable and that's about it's only advantage.

Sponsored

ShawnaTally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR Tuscadero, '21 JLR Hydro Blue
Before I got the JKU, I was completely opposed to the 4dr. I thought it was a sell out move, like Porsche making the 4dr Panamera, or Parmigiana, or whatever they call it.

But then we started looking for one to replace my husbands 2000 that was a little more all-weather capable and roadtrip-friendly. Finding a 2 door Rubicon was difficult, and I figured, "Ok, fine. More space can't hurt."

The 4 door is fine, but we've never had people in the back seat, and even on camping trips there was room to spare... Now, only a few months after getting the JKU, we'll be trading it in for a JL, and I told my husband I want it to be a 2dr this time. We don't/won't have kids (hence the money to throw at a JLR, lol), and it's a lot easier to go naked with half the doors!

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get asked “Why didn’t you buy a Rubicon?”

So, we are even... ;)
So.... why didn't you buy a Rubicon? I've done the math and built a few Jeeps, but being lazy and spending less to get the Rubi this time.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So.... why didn't you buy a Rubicon? I've done the math and built a few Jeeps, but being lazy and spending less to get the Rubi this time.
Because Rubicon does not offer the best setup for driving in varied snowy conditions.