First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
My JL is starting to act up occasionally, the heated seats and steering wheel come on by themselves when the Jeep is started. I’ve noticed that this occurs when the aux battery is low. So I’ll be replacing it soon and not with an OEM.
when I was at my dealer a few months ago waiting for service I wandered into the parts dept. The battery rack had several rows of the aux batteries and I was surprised at how small they were. The parts guy says they sell a lot of them🙄
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Dump the motorcycle sized battery.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Sounds like the OP does NOT want to modify the OE setup. He does NOT have to modify anything.

I have said it several times and I’ll say it again: the problem is NOT the dual battery system; the dual battery setup works fine. The problem are the crummy batteries that come from the factory.

Any aftermarket direct replacement will fix the issue.
Any particular factory battery? Or, are all FCA supplied batteries crap? I had mine replaced at the dealership, and that one sucked too. Since then, the simple Aux delete has been great, and zero issues from the ESS(which I dislike).

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Any particular factory battery? Or, are all FCA supplied batteries crap? I had mine replaced at the dealership, and that one sucked too. Since then, the simple Aux delete has been great, and zero issues from the ESS(which I dislike).
Yes, all Jeep OE batteries are crap.

I got O'Reilly's Super Start batteries. They are pretty good.

ESS works like a charm, even in subfreezing temps.
Jeep Wrangler JL Constant dead battery issues with my 21 JLU Diesel 1675204911969

OP
OP
MoabRat

MoabRat

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The final outcome of my battery saga has been interesting. After having my Jeep for a week they gave me new batteries. They claimed they kept passing all the tests and couldn’t replicate the issue but they wanted to take care of me. I feel that that’s as good a result as I could hope for. I’ll save up over the summer to get better quality batteries and will also look up disconnecting the ESS system. I don’t want to do a delete or anything as I still have a couple of years warranty. After this and with the fuel pump recall coming up I don’t want to give them any excuse not to honor it. I feel like they were talking to me like a housewife with not actually acknowledging the issue but kind of a there there response. I also mentioned to google the issue in forums because I found scores of results.
Thanks everyone for your kind advice. I won’t go Lithium based on many having success by just getting a reliable name brand. Would have been nice if Mopar wanted to fill that role but I guess not. This is the first Direct occasion that Fiat/Stellantis has seemed to affect quality for me. I had really good luck with service and reliability on my JK. Hope I get years out of this JL. Also hope the new 4Runner kicks ass when they finally get a new model releases. We had an FJ for a while and ZERO issues with reliability or the dealer.
By the way didn’t the 700-100 bucks or so for the rental far outweigh them doing the batteries on day 1? I still can’t figure that out

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The final outcome of my battery saga has been interesting. After having my Jeep for a week they gave me new batteries. They claimed they kept passing all the tests and couldn’t replicate the issue but they wanted to take care of me. I feel that that’s as good a result as I could hope for. I’ll save up over the summer to get better quality batteries and will also look up disconnecting the ESS system. I don’t want to do a delete or anything as I still have a couple of years warranty. After this and with the fuel pump recall coming up I don’t want to give them any excuse not to honor it. I feel like they were talking to me like a housewife with not actually acknowledging the issue but kind of a there there response. I also mentioned to google the issue in forums because I found scores of results.
Thanks everyone for your kind advice. I won’t go Lithium based on many having success by just getting a reliable name brand. Would have been nice if Mopar wanted to fill that role but I guess not. This is the first Direct occasion that Fiat/Stellantis has seemed to affect quality for me. I had really good luck with service and reliability on my JK. Hope I get years out of this JL. Also hope the new 4Runner kicks ass when they finally get a new model releases. We had an FJ for a while and ZERO issues with reliability or the dealer.
By the way didn’t the 700-100 bucks or so for the rental far outweigh them doing the batteries on day 1? I still can’t figure that out
If you want a sort of passive way of disabling ESS, you can disconnect the hood position sensor switch (plunger switch) and ESS won't work. This is a safety switch so ESS can't start the engine when someone is under the hood. However, you will get a red indication on the dash. If you can live with that, great. If not, you can get JSCAN for $25 and a Security Gateway Bypass off of Amazon for $15-18 and a Bluetooth dongle to access the computer and disable that light. Personally, if I was worried about warranty, I'd just pop the connector loose and live with the light until the warranty wasn't an issue. That way you can simply plug in the connector whenever you take it in.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I swapped my OEM main battery for a Walmart AGM battery, and disconnected the tiny Aux Battery, months ago. It's been working flawlessly since then, and turning the engine over like a champ.
I did the same with a Walmart battery too. Been great since and even fires right up in sub zero temps.

If I need to revert it just have to attach the cable and insert the fuse. Easy as can be.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Glad to hear they finally took care of you, should not be as much of a fight as it is!!! Is everything working well? My wife's GCL is working great after more than two weeks which is the longest it has worked in nearly 2 years.

jimhaleii

First Name
Jimmie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler unlimited sahara diesel
Are you running a tazer? Is your evic display turning off?
Can you expand on this?
I just had battery problems in my 2021 jlud, have a tazer, are these problematic and known for draining battery?
Thanks!

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
Can you expand on this?
I just had battery problems in my 2021 jlud, have a tazer, are these problematic and known for draining battery?
Thanks!
If you don’t do the reset properly it will cause your evic screen to stay on slowly draining the battery.