Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Dead —and dying— batteries have been an ongoing issue since JL launched six model years ago.

I don’t understand why, when it’s your Jeep’s turn, dealers continue to behave like they have never seen this issue before.
Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Why are you taking this to the dealer? Do you own a voltmeter?
Dead —and dying— batteries have been an ongoing issue since JL launched six model years ago.

I don’t understand why, when it’s your Jeep’s turn, dealers continue to behave like they have never seen this issue before.
I agree, chased my wife's for a year and a half. They swapped out sensors that cost much more than the battery and continued to say the battery was fine. Finally took it to another dealer that swapped out the battery under warranty and everything on my wifes Grand Cherokee L has worked since then. I know it is easy to swap out a battery, but the point is, the battery was bad to begin with and should be covered under warranty. I have plenty of other Jeeps that are not under warranty and I do all the work myself. Bought the GCL so I would not have to worry about it and so the dealer can fix it until the warranty is up.

I would bring my JLUR in if something was mechanically/electrically wrong with it as well. Why not, it is under warranty... All of the suspension work and mods I put on myself and can fix them if needed.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I agree, chased my wife's for a year and a half. They swapped out sensors that cost much more than the battery and continued to say the battery was fine. Finally took it to another dealer that swapped out the battery under warranty and everything on my wifes Grand Cherokee L has worked since then. I know it is easy to swap out a battery, but the point is, the battery was bad to begin with and should be covered under warranty. I have plenty of other Jeeps that are not under warranty and I do all the work myself. Bought the GCL so I would not have to worry about it and so the dealer can fix it until the warranty is up.

I would bring my JLUR in if something was mechanically/electrically wrong with it as well. Why not, it is under warranty... All of the suspension work and mods I put on myself and can fix them if needed.
The “why not” is because the dealerships are just as likely to waste your time and cause damage as to fix anything. Plus, the OEM batteries are really bad.

OP
OP
MoabRat

MoabRat

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It used that number because IF I have to cover new batteries they will be lithium Antigravs. To much trouble already with stock. Yes I can do it for half that with OEM or Odyssey but I’d like to not make this a yearly expense

OP
OP
MoabRat

MoabRat

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Dealer did install a tazer when we did lift/tires/etc. I had mentioned wanting to add a front trail cam so that’s what they recommended. I have mentioned it several trips back but they didn’t think that was it. The evic and rest of dash do random, odd light blinking and rando displays, sometimes it’s just dead dead

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Charge the battery and disconnect it from the Jeep. Measure the voltage the next day. If it lost charge you can rule out parasitic draw.

I had a battery that would pass load tests and everything, but it would lose charge anyway. Id recharge and itd pass tests, then die again in a few days. These are signs of a dying battery, Id guess sulfation. Eventually the battery will die. Thats when stellantis will replace under warranty. It can be a few weeks or a few months. With JLs with dual battery systems it can take a long time, as the other battery will keep the jeep going for a while.

You can go through this hell if you want. It is much better to just get aftermarket batteries and enjoy your jeep.

OP
OP
MoabRat

MoabRat

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Charge the battery and disconnect it from the Jeep. Measure the voltage the next day. If it lost charge you can rule out parasitic draw.

I had a battery that would pass load tests and everything, but it would lose charge anyway. Id recharge and itd pass tests, then die again in a few days. These are signs of a dying battery, Id guess sulfation. Eventually the battery will die. Thats when stellantis will replace under warranty. It can be a few weeks or a few months. With JLs with dual battery systems it can take a long time, as the other battery will keep the jeep going for a while.

You can go through this hell if you want. It is much better to just get aftermarket batteries and enjoy your jeep.
That is a great and simple idea. I would hope that was something they would try since they’ve had it for days but that is definitely wishful thinking. If they hand it back again I will try that before replacing them. Thanks for that clear thinking. I was pretty mad when I first posted so I’m sure things will work out either way.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It used that number because IF I have to cover new batteries they will be lithium Antigravs. To much trouble already with stock. Yes I can do it for half that with OEM or Odyssey but I’d like to not make this a yearly expense
I swapped both batteries with two direct replacement - O'Reilly's own Super Start brand. I paid $107 for the auxiliary battery and $199 for the main battery.

This was 20 months ago. I use ESS every day: everything works like clockwork. Even with the steering wheel and seat heaters in subfreezing temperatures.

You don't have to buy anything fancy, and you don't have to make it any more complicated than that. The dual battery system works fine; the problem is Jeeps come from the factory with the crappiest batteries they can find. Once you toss those in the garbage, you are good for several years.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
A decent quality set of batteries will run you about 350-400. They’ll last about 4-6 years on average.

OP
OP
MoabRat

MoabRat

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That is heartening advice. If just anything but OEM will work wtf is Mopar doing? That’s just sucky. Aldo 98229 do you run a Tazer? The more I search the more I am conflicted.
the real question is if they are so cheap why didn’t they just replace them? I’ve been in a rental twice because of this and that had to cost more than a couple of batteries. Why would they just want to absorb that cost at the expense of a loyal, probably return customer. Freaking dealers I just don’t get it.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That is heartening advice. If just anything but OEM will work wtf is Mopar doing? That’s just sucky. Aldo 98229 do you run a Tazer? The more I search the more I am conflicted.
the real question is if they are so cheap why didn’t they just replace them? I’ve been in a rental twice because of this and that had to cost more than a couple of batteries. Why would they just want to absorb that cost at the expense of a loyal, probably return customer. Freaking dealers I just don’t get it.
Yes, I run a Tazer. No issues.

That’s the big mystery: why do dealers refuse to swap out those crummy batteries when they fail left and right?

Rumor has it that it is much more profitable for dealers, instead of replacing the batteries, to swap out various modules and harnesses, stringing customers along for weeks and months.

The entire thing is just baffling.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Isn't there an issue with cold weather with lithium batteries? I went with the Genesis/Odyssey conversion a year ago. No issues since.

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
Dealer did install a tazer when we did lift/tires/etc. I had mentioned wanting to add a front trail cam so that’s what they recommended. I have mentioned it several trips back but they didn’t think that was it. The evic and rest of dash do random, odd light blinking and rando displays, sometimes it’s just dead dead
That being the case I would do two things:
1) do the reset cycle with the tazer yourself and ensure your evic screen is shutting off
2) run without the tazer and see if you still have better drain.
I enjoy my tazer, but I feel like you do have to stay on top of them working properly.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I swapped my OEM main battery for a Walmart AGM battery, and disconnected the tiny Aux Battery, months ago. It's been working flawlessly since then, and turning the engine over like a champ.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the OP does NOT want to modify the OE setup. He does NOT have to modify anything.

I have said it several times and I’ll say it again: the problem is NOT the dual battery system; the dual battery setup works fine. The problem are the crummy batteries that come from the factory.

Any aftermarket direct replacement will fix the issue.
Sponsored