Considering trading for a Sahara

Redx2

First Name
Heather D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JL
We have a 2d Sport JL and a Sahara JLU. I spend about 12-14 hours a week highway driving the Sahara. The Sport feels MUCH lighter and is more fun to drive. The Sahara is a tank in comparison but I can fold the back seats down & make a bed for the dogs on long trips. I've transported a double bed, a giant cactus, a 250lb brickmakers table, 400lbs of concrete pavers, filled the entire Jeep with firewood, the list goes on. We removed the backseat in the Sport years ago but it's still barely big enough to hold groceries. If you're spending a lot of time on the road the Sahara is great - feels substantial & holds all your stuff.
Sponsored

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
When doing test drives I didn't notice anything that would make a Sahara a better distance driver other than marginally better seats compared to a Sport. Between a JL and JLU there is a meaningful difference in the 4 door being less jumpy due to added weight and wheelbase, but unsure how that would really translate into being significantly better for road trips...

I have no issues driving 3-4 hours in my JLUS (do it fairly regularly) but anything past that I am definitely taking the truck or wife's crossover.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
So thinking about upgrading to a 4 door Sahara. Just wondering if this is even feasible, as I do not want to take a bath on the trade.
Keep what you have. Your reasons for wanting to upgrade are hardly worth the added, roll over debt. If you feel the compulsion to upgrade, wait until you’ve further paid down or paid off your two door.

OP
OP
gregus73

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
At the end of the day, the numbers would have to work.
For example, if they gave me 31 to 30k, and my difference is 12-13k to uplift to a JLU Sahara....then would consider the trade. If I get low-balled would just walk. Not willing to take a bath on the deal.

If the deal does not work or decide to not even pursue it, then will upgrade the stereo, get take off tires and rims from a Sahara or Rubicon, and opt for the oem soft top, so will have the hard top and soft top.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
At the end of the day, the numbers would have to work.
For example, if they gave me 31 to 30k, and my difference is 12-13k to uplift to a JLU Sahara....then would consider the trade. If I get low-balled would just walk. Not willing to take a bath on the deal.

If the deal does not work or decide to not even pursue it, then will upgrade the stereo, get take off tires and rims from a Sahara or Rubicon, and opt for the oem soft top, so will have the hard top and soft top.
Definitely look at the numbers, but it already sounds like your Denali does what you want a larger Jeep to do, unless the large truck is a PIA where you park/drive. Would you enjoy driving a JLU around as much for your everyday activities? I agree on the compromises of the two door, but part of that is what gives it its charm. I wouldn't pick my 2 door as a road trip vehicle unless I was going somewhere to do Jeep things.

Sponsored

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I have done that too. If one is not struggling with near term cash flow, then renting a car can actually make more economic sense from an asset valuation perspective. Over time you will come out ahead financially but a rental car doesn’t bring a smile to the face like one’s own Jeep does. I’ve been in rental Jeeps and the feeling is just not the same as driving your own.

Exactly what i was doing. I had a JK Rubicon hard rock two door. I have had jeeps my entire life but never a four door. Then I decided to rent a four door. It was a Sahara.

Long story short I ended up trading in the JK and purchased a new JL four door. I may have gotten a little carried away as I purchased a High Altitude with the diesel and sky top. I can tell you first hand this set up is a very comfortable, capable travel vehicle.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
To touch on the trade in value, Jeep’s are ridiculously bringing high value right now. 2 weeks ago I privately sold my 2013 JKU for $26k. The kBB on it was even higher than that. Dealers weren’t too far off, but even with tax differences the return was better to sell privately. I listed it for sale on a Friday and it was gone by Monday.

OP
OP
gregus73

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
Definitely look at the numbers, but it already sounds like your Denali does what you want a larger Jeep to do, unless the large truck is a PIA where you park/drive. Would you enjoy driving a JLU around as much for your everyday activities? I agree on the compromises of the two door, but part of that is what gives it its charm. I wouldn't pick my 2 door as a road trip vehicle unless I was going somewhere to do Jeep things.
The Denali is a pia to drive around town or the city. Both in Los Gatos and Nevada City/Grass Valley where I live. For long road trips it is amazing, getting my small trolling boat to the lake, and bringing stuff back and fourth. 100% freeway driving.

The JL is my around town vehicle, work commuter, and when going up to the City. Gets driven mostly.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I have a 2019 Sahara with SOT, and love it. I think your wise to hinge your decision on if the financials make sense. I bought mine used with 7,000 miles , and a clean Car Fax to skip the off the lot deprecation. I used Auto Trader to locate mine!

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My Sahara is very comfortable. We haven't been on a trip longer than 2.5 hrs, but it has been a great ride. Noone has been in the back seat on any long trips yet, but I do believe it would be cramped at least for me. As far as other comforts go, If you did not want to take a bath on your trade-in, I would look into getting a nice Audio system installed, that makes my trips all the more comfortable. Good luck!

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I know that this won't be a popular opinion, but I have a JLU Sahara, and I love it for running around locally. This summer we took it on a road trip, 1500 miles, with the Jeep, 4 in the family, and cargo rack on the back. I will just say, that we won't be taking the Jeep on a long road trip again, in my opinion, the comfort and drivability is not the same as an SUV or Sedan.
But, this is one mans opinion, and don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my Sahara, and it fits it's purpose, but I have other vehicles that are better for long road trips.
For a family road trip, a good SUV will drive almost like a touring sedan and has nearly the cargo capacity of a minivan. A two week road trip starting from near San Francisco up along redwood country, hitting the Oregon coastal villages, a few days in Portland, camping along the Columbia River and hiking the waterfalls, then back south central Oregon to Crater Lake was very comfortable in the Highlander. A week long family trip spent between Yosemite and Eastern Sierras was great in the JLU because we went off pavement and rented an apartment in June Lake as a base of operations to take day trips.

I don’t mind taking the Jeep on long drives if it is a destination trip. But I prefer the SUV if I am either channeling my inner Chevy Chase or driving icy roads (I don’t have enough garage space to consider having a set of winter and summer shoes for the Jeep).

OP
OP
gregus73

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
After calling the dealer and finding out the cost difference for a Sahara. 52-54K (with CA tax included) + and offering 29k for my Jeep. Decided to hard pass.

Next steps, looking forward to do the following to my JL:
-OEM 2 door premium soft top. Miss have a soft top like I did on my TJ. Will store the hard top in my garage.
-Rubicon, Gladiator or Moab take-off Tires and Rims.
-Satin black front Mopar grille.
-2inch Mopar lift

Figure that will run me $4500 - 5000, but a heck of a lot cheaper than taking a bath on my JL which has 3k miles on it. Also, have the Denali and my wife's Lexus RX350 for longer trips.

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts.
Jeep Wrangler JL Considering trading for a Sahara IMG_1822
Sponsored