Sponsored

Considering Purchase of Jeep Pickup Truck but . . .

ralphtt

First Name
Ralph T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country
Occupation
Retired
Newbie here . . . Have been closely following the Gladiator forum as I am really interested in the new pickup. BUT . . . reading all these threads about steering problems, death wobble problems, heater & air conditioner problems on the current Jeep JL and JK, I wonder if the JT would be likely to have the same problems. Don't want to live with that.

You guys who have been here a while . . . can you estimate the probability that a new Gladiator pickup would have similar problems. The benefit of your experience would be much appreciated!

TIA!
Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There is 100% probability that it will not be perfect. I owned an example of the Most Reliable Car Ever Produced, a Lexus LS sedan. It had a few problems with the transmission.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Based on a recent poll I did, you have about a 70% chance of being problem free for the first 5000 miles. These problems include anything the owner had the service department fix, so they could be minor or major. Best of luck in your decision. The Gladiator looks awesome.

OP
OP

ralphtt

First Name
Ralph T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, gentlemen.
I bought a new Lexus LS 430 in 2006 and drove it for ten trouble-free years. Best vehicle I ever owned. But nothing in the Jeep stable enjoys that kind of reputation. Rather, it's just the opposite.

Since it's over a year before the Gladiator will be available in the configuration I have chosen I can take consolation in the fact that I will have plenty of time to size up the reliability situation before any purchase.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
First issue is you are considering buying an FCA vehicle and new first-ever one at that. You’re gonna have issues. It has some additional options the Wrangler doesn’t have as well like front camera, rear diff lock in 4-hi, longer wheelbase, etc. But it’s built from the same major parts the Wrangler is like engine, tranny, computer, etc. The problems you see on this forum with the Wrangler will follow the in the Gladiator.

I say wait a few months to see what the first adopters experience and then decide if you can live with those issues on what o suspect to be a $60k or more vehicle if you get all the bells and whistles on the Rubicon.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ralphtt

First Name
Ralph T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Saejin . . .
Very well put and sage advice. Let's just hope the new Jeep pickup has some of these teething issues fixed! I'll probably wait til mid-2020 before pulling the trigger . . . hopefully by then most of the gremlins will be sorted out. :jk:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I can assure you that you need to lower your expectations of overall quality and reliability coming from your Lexus. Substantially. I’m also in that camp. Don’t hold it to the standard of your Lexus or you’ll be constantly upset and disappointed because it comes up short in every category that you can think of. Except for off road capability and the ability to remove your top and doors. That’s the one thing it has over your Lexus. That’s the only reason to buy one.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I really hope a better company offers a real Wrangler competitor one day. One that works properly, with reliability more on-par with Toyota than Jaguar.

Until that day comes, it has no competition, and is one of a kind. Would be nice to some if we got the new Suzuki Jimny.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
No issues since purchase of my 2018 JLR.
Don't have any issues with my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Edodiesel.
Don't have any issues with my 2015 Hellcat Challenger.
Didn't have any issues with my 2013 JKUR.
Didn't have any issues with my 2010 Challenger R/T.
No issues with my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500.
No issues with my 2007 Chrysler Crossfire.
No issues with my 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8.
No issues with my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500.
No issues with my 2001 Dodge Durango.
None with my 1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler.
None with my 1998 V10 Dodge Ram 2500.

I can keep going back in time but since I have a bunch of experience with late model Mopar products I will leave you with this...a lot of the griping on this forum have to do more with user error or high expectations for a vehicle that is meant to be durable in extreme conditions.

Let's be honest, if you're looking to replace a Lexus crossover with a pickup truck built to drive on the Rubicon, the JT isn't your best option.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex

I can keep going back in time but since I have a bunch of experience with late model Mopar products I will leave you with this...a lot of the griping on this forum have to do more with user error or high expectations for a vehicle that is meant to be durable in extreme conditions.

Let's be honest, if you're looking to replace a Lexus crossover with a pickup truck built to drive on the Rubicon, the JT isn't your best option.
How about my experience pulling 2-3 FWD Chrysler transmissions out a week on average while I worked at a transmission shop.

We pulled so many it became a fun little contest to see who could pull one faster.

It's great to be a fan of something, but to come on here and say most of the issues are user errors isn't anywhere in the realm of reality.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
How about my experience pulling 2-3 FWD Chrysler transmissions out a week on average while I worked at a transmission shop.

We pulled so many it became a fun little contest to see who could pull one faster.

It's great to be a fan of something, but to come on here and say most of the issues are user errors isn't anywhere in the realm of reality.
Agreed. Way too many people pull out their individual ownership anecdotes and act like that cancels out the statistics across hundreds of thousands of vehicles. If you get a good JL good for you. But don’t act like they aren’t causing problems for a great deal of owners.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

There you go with “I didn’t have issues with any of my Jeeps” rhetoric. It comes out every time reliability comes up. I 100% believe that you’re telling the truth and I’m thrilled that you’ve had such great FCA experiences. I also 100% believe the empirical evidence that shows that your results are the outlier, not typical results. Is that a fair statement? Anyone that equates typical FCA quality and reliability with typical Toyota quality and reliability isn’t credible because that’s just not the case.

Users gripes are about poor communication when there’s problems, absolutely shitty build quality on basic but vitally important stuff (steering, structural integrity of welds, etc.), and horrendous quality control practices on brand freaking new vehicles.

Also OP,s Lexus was a big cushy luxury sedan, not an SUV so I presume he knows it’s not an apples to apples comparison between the two, just comparing quality between the two makers.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
...a lot of the griping on this forum have to do more with user error or high expectations for a vehicle that is meant to be durable in extreme conditions...
I guess rain exceeds “extreme conditions”. When it rains I lose power steering and my dash lights up like a Christmas tree (50+ codes). It must be user error. Thanks for clearing that up...

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
So, for some of you skeptics on here if FCA is such a shitty company and Jeep JL's are such a poor product, and you know that. Why would you buy one?

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
I wouldn't buy the JT for at least a couple years after my JL experience so far. Never had issues with any of my other Jeeps in the last 20+ years. My 2011 ram1500 was good until it started on fire this summer at 52,000 miles. Trading my built 2017 TRD 4runner in on the JL was a mistake. I would trade back in a heartbeat.
Sponsored