Sponsored

Considering ordering a Sport instead of Rubicon, and building it up. Here's why...

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
The jump from the Sport to the Sport S is $4k. On Jeep's website it's hard to see what the difference in options is. What are you getting for the $4k?
If I'm not mistaken, it's alloy wheels, power locks/windows and ac, plus it opens up packages you can't otherwise get. That being said, I think if you add the half doors, you get power locks and windows on a sport... If you don't want the half doors, you could likely easily sell them.
Sponsored

OP
OP

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Basically what I'm thinking of doing is getting a Sport with AC, power windows and locks, and then swapping out to Dana 60s and a 4:1 transfer case, a lift, some 40" tires and other odds and ends.

JlChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
Buy the sport, it'll take you 99% of the places a Rubicon will. It will be cheaper and when you do decide to build it up you will have a vehicle tailored to suit your needs. Most Rubicon owners don't even push their vehicles near what it is actually capable of and would have been more suited for a sport anyways. IMO a Rubicon is just a status symbol.

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hi Guys,

Just my opinion...

It all depends on what you ultimately want the Jeep to do, and where you want to do it.

You mentioned 60s.... If you bought the Rubicon would you be replacing the 44s right away, or something that's on your wish list for future?

Do you plan on doing all the mods yourself? Or, will you be having your dealer do all the mods? If you use an outside shop, do you have a shop in mind that has that kind of experience? And, do you trust that shop based on personal experience?

Unless you have your dealer do the mods, I would think that there could be warranty issues in the future. Maybe more of a hassle even if they are directly related to the mods.

So.... there are costs other than the purchase price of the JL and the purchase price of the parts for the mods. And, there's the time and hassle with having the work done once you get your Jeep.

We went the Rubicon route with our 2021 and are still making more mods than good economic sense justifies. But, it's what we want at the end of the day.

With major modifications like axles and transfer case, it might be worth considering buying something used and low mileage as long as it has the minimum feature set you want (and you can find one). I looked for used for several months... couldn't find a JLUR Chief Blue diesel used. I know you end up leaving money on the table buying new. Most financial planners would probably argue that a Jeep's a toy the way most of us use them and not a necessity unless we absolutely need the utility, new or used. I work pretty hard for a living and think we deserve some rewards.

Good luck with your decision.

Jeff

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
To answer and earlier question, here is a summary of the difference between a Sport and a Sport S
  • Air conditioning
  • 17-inch silver aluminum wheels
  • Power door locks, windows
  • Power heated mirrors
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel
My $0.015 worth:

I like the manual transmission on my JLR.
I also like the factory options that came with my JLR (e.g., 8.4" screen, leather, blind spot, heated seats, etc.). From there, its been a blast modifying the Jeep, as shown in the link below:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/manual-2-door-rubicon-bikini-build.48532/

A couple of very nice features of the JLR vs a Sport or Sport S is the 4.11 gears, 4:1 xfer case, and the lockers for the diffs. These features make a huge difference on the tuffer trails.

The OP's thoughts on getting a Sport, then swapping the axles for 60's is a great idea, especially when going bigger than 37's. Swapping out the stock xfer case for a Rubicon xfer case is cool too.

Anyway, good luck on your project.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’d look in detail at all the differences between each model and see If you care about any. Lockers, SB disconnect, etc are obvious, but there are small differences you may (or may not) care about:
- Bigger brakes
- infotainment options
- nicer interior options
- USB ports for kiddos in back
- etc

and, many of the rubicon stuff can be resold for good money if you want to spend time doing that.

I bought a sport s (and put Rubi parts on it) and should wish I would have started with a sahara or rubicon for interior and other options.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I bought a Sport S and then a Rubicon (4-door). Difference (with a good discount) was about $4k.

Once thing to consider is the value of the take-offs.

You are going to swap out axles, lockers, and gears anyway. So all that is left is the brakes, transfer case, and auto swaybar disconnect. The auto sway-bar disconnect is nice but not a big deal. The T-Case swap will be about $2k I think. You can get around $3-3.5k for the axles.

So I think if you buy a low-option Rubicon and sell your axles you will actually be slightly ahead and won't have to swap out the transfer case.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Basically what I'm thinking of doing is getting a Sport with AC, power windows and locks, and then swapping out to Dana 60s and a 4:1 transfer case, a lift, some 40" tires and other odds and ends.
Have you priced a set of D-60s? I went thru what you're asking yourself and landed on a Rubicon. Even doing the work myself, I calculated that the Rubicon would be cheaper. The new beefier D-44s will handle 40s if you don't wheel it hard. My plan is to run my Rubi stock (just spent 2 weeks in Moab and this thing on 33s impressed the hell outta me) then start upgrading bit by bit later.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I love driving manuals, but I just about broke my left ankle a few days ago. I was limping and there is no way I could have driven one that day. I'm going to get the 8 speed.
Similar situation as to why I probably will not own a manual again. While the manuals are engaging to drive, the autos are faster and I once had to wait almost two hours to leave the tennis courts at an out-of-town tournament after playing a double header since my L calf would cramp/seize trying to press the clutch.

Good luck with the decision!

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have been hemming and hawing over ordering a Rubicon, but now I'm thinking of ordering a Sport. There are a few reasons. First, the msrp is much lower, and local taxes and car tabs are based upon that. The $12,000 difference between the two equates to a lot of savings both upfront and over time. Next, I am paying cash and it is easier to stomach buying the less expensive version. Further, I am thinking of just doing an axle swap to Dana 60s so I have better braking and capacity, and then running 40 inch tires and a lift. Lastly, I like the idea of building rather than buying.

The only things holding me back are that I want power windows and locks, and also wonder if not having automatic swaybar disconnects will bother me. Also may want to swap out the transfer case for the better ratio. Thoughts?
I was in a similar boat as you. Went into the dealership with a 65,000 dollar check and ended up in a Sport for less than half that amount and I love it.

Never been in a situation off road where I’ve needed lockers or sway disconnect but I also live in Florida.. Just a beach buggy for me. If you plan on ripping everything out in the future then I would assume a Sport would be the way to go. Maybe a Sport S so you can get the power windows and stuff as well.

I guess it depends on where you live and what you plan on doing but in my case I enjoy my Jeep and the massive amount of money I saved. Good luck! :champagne:

Jeep Wrangler JL Considering ordering a Sport instead of Rubicon, and building it up. Here's why... 8485C989-DCCD-489E-B325-4D7F8CCCEFB5

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
If you really want to fit 40's there is no point in spending the money on a Rubicon. If you really think built is better than bought, the Sport is for you. Most of us have zero need for tires that big and the engine is going to seriously struggle to turn them. The stock Rubicon can easily do most trails. Trails to tough for the Rubi I wouldn't want a new anything on. To me the Rubi is the no brainer Jeep choice. Super capable, factory reliable, ready to daily drive or wheel some pretty difficult terrain. For $1500 in lift and $1500 in tires, the Rubi can be on 37's with lockers and a 4:1 t-case. Almost nobody needs more capability than that. Building a Sport into a monster truck is a whole different ballgame. It will suck to drive daily, reliability and warranty are out the window and there are precious few places it will go the Rubi won't. I honestly hope you enjoy your build, stuff like that just makes no sense to me. The beauty is, that shouldn't matter one bit if that is how you want to spend YOUR money. Good Luck!

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
To answer and earlier question, here is a summary of the difference between a Sport and a Sport S
  • Air conditioning
  • 17-inch silver aluminum wheels
  • Power door locks, windows
  • Power heated mirrors
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel
My $0.015 worth:

I like the manual transmission on my JLR.
I also like the factory options that came with my JLR (e.g., 8.4" screen, leather, blind spot, heated seats, etc.). From there, its been a blast modifying the Jeep, as shown in the link below:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/manual-2-door-rubicon-bikini-build.48532/

A couple of very nice features of the JLR vs a Sport or Sport S is the 4.11 gears, 4:1 xfer case, and the lockers for the diffs. These features make a huge difference on the tuffer trails.

The OP's thoughts on getting a Sport, then swapping the axles for 60's is a great idea, especially when going bigger than 37's. Swapping out the stock xfer case for a Rubicon xfer case is cool too.

Anyway, good luck on your project.
It depends on where you live but down here in Florida all the Sports have A/C. It gets too hot down here and nobody would buy a vehicle without A/C lol

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Ya I would not start with a Rubicon if you are going this route. You are clearly planning to use your Wrangler for what it's intended it to be used for, no sense in paying more up front for options you will never recover in value. Sport S w/ a few options sounds like a good plan, have fun.
Don't sweat the swaybar disconnect, the factory design isn't great anyway.

PS: Debt is evil

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
The main advantages of the Rubicon are the lockers and the electronic sway bar disconnect. If you plan to change the axles, the factory lockers will not be an advantage for you.

You can add manual sway bar disconnects which are quick and easy to use.

When last I checked, the power windows and locks were available on the Sport S. Double check with a dealer.

I am not a fan of debt either. Sometimes the future is uncertain.
Sponsored

Last edited: