Sponsored

Considering ordering a Sport instead of Rubicon, and building it up. Here's why...

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
  • Banned
I have been hemming and hawing over ordering a Rubicon, but now I'm thinking of ordering a Sport. There are a few reasons. First, the msrp is much lower, and local taxes and car tabs are based upon that. The $12,000 difference between the two equates to a lot of savings both upfront and over time. Next, I am paying cash and it is easier to stomach buying the less expensive version. Further, I am thinking of just doing an axle swap to Dana 60s so I have better braking and capacity, and then running 40 inch tires and a lift. Lastly, I like the idea of building rather than buying.

The only things holding me back are that I want power windows and locks, and also wonder if not having automatic swaybar disconnects will bother me. Also may want to swap out the transfer case for the better ratio. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
Keep in mind that if you do go with a Rubicon you can always sell the D44s and recover a fair amount of money. The transfer case is a nice upgrade if you plan on rock crawling. The sway disconnects are a plus but any serious offroading you will probably upgrade to something better. Sport S comes with the auto doors and locks.

I personally opted for a Sport. I couldn't stomach the extra cost for a Rubicon especially as it will just be a weekend toy for me and my wife. If i was going to daily it i would have splurged for a Rubicon with all the bells as a whistles.
I'm going with another Willys 2dr., my 2017 would go anywhere I wanted it to go within reason and all I did was put gas in it. My first Willys 2017 had all power options, this time I'm going with the Willys Sport, 6spd. transmission and my only option will be A/C. Since it a TOY and not a daily driver I feel I will even like it better then the 2017.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I'm going with another Willys 2dr., my 2017 would go anywhere I wanted it to go within reason and all I did was put gas in it. My first Willys 2017 had all power options, this time I'm going with the Willys Sport, 6spd. transmission and my only option will be A/C. Since it a TOY and not a daily driver I feel I will even like it better then the 2017.
John, I would drive the auto before you make up your mind. I have a 2016 Rubicon 2-door 6-speed and this new transmission is soooooooo butter smooth. I dont drive the 2 door much anymore because of this. I know- apples to oranges but I really am impressed with the new 8 speed auto.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
John, I would drive the auto before you make up your mind. I have a 2016 Rubicon 2-door 6-speed and this new transmission is soooooooo butter smooth. I dont drive the 2 door much anymore because of this. I know- apples to oranges but I really am impressed with the new 8 speed auto.
Agree, the 8AT is a game changer, I love MTs but the 8AT is a perfect match for this vehicle.

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I’d borrow the money at 2.5-3.5%. Invest your cash in a fund. Most reputable funds return approx 5-8% in a 4 year period, often more. Risky, maybe, but the total loss vs gain is negligible vs tossing cash at a new vehicle that will instantly result in a 4.5-5.5% loss.

Use the outstanding bank offers and buy a Rubicon with other peoples money!

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Go cheap and go straight into axle swap. Consider getting the LSD for the rear D44, or the Willys. That gives you the option of axle upgrade in front and regear in rear if you need to spread the purchases out.
Honestly the T-case is the only reason I’d consider a Rubicon if I had to buy again. The rock sliders are on the pinch seam, not the frame. Not sure if the non-Rubicon or upgraded sliders are different.
With the issues the auto sway bar has, I wouldn’t be afraid of an aftermarket solution and skipping the rubicon.
As others said, the auto is good now. I have heard it is awesome with the 2.0 and can help you avoid regear costs.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
My last jeep was a TJ soft top half doors and manual trans. 4.5” lift, locked front and rear (manual or auto whatever you want to call them) 35s, 4.88s, Anti-Rock swaybar.

i have a heavily optioned Rubi ordered. I work from home so dont drive much. I am REALLY looking forward to the luxuries of the Rubi over my old jeep. So is my wife.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Buy the loaded rubicon diesel .. get the business tax credit ... sell all the rubicon parts .. come out on the plus side 🤘

OP
OP

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
  • Banned
I’d borrow the money at 2.5-3.5%. Invest your cash in a fund. Most reputable funds return approx 5-8% in a 4 year period, often more. Risky, maybe, but the total loss vs gain is negligible vs tossing cash at a new vehicle that will instantly result in a 4.5-5.5% loss.

Use the outstanding bank offers and buy a Rubicon with other peoples money!
I am not asking for financial advice. If I were, I'd talk to my friend who has like $20 million or whatever. And assuming future returns, especially in light of today's tenuous economic situation, is a fool's errand.

Paying cash for large purchases is foolish. The rich never pay cash for purchases when it is so easy to invest and get a better return on your cash.
Paying interest is foolish, and you're sorely mistaken. I know many wealthy people who pay cash for all sorts of things. Cars, houses, planes, boats, etc.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We went with the loaded Rubicon option, but it's the wife's daily. Her daily commute is about 30 miles round trip. The premium audio, adaptive cruise control, leather, seat heaters, etc are amazing on those 2,000+ mile road trips to moab though. If I was going full build, I'd save another $20k by buying a used jk. The Rubicon has been amazing with just a 2" lift and 37's. No need for a t-case or axle upgrade. The 4.10's and the 4.7 1st gear in the auto don't even need a gear change. The 2.0t has been impressive, especially on road where I can accelerate passing slow traffic even up the steepest of grades. Of the 12+ jeeps we've owned, this is the only 1 you can get around a slow moving pack going up the steepest part of Tehachapi, punch it and be back to 85mph like it's nothing. The Rubicon doesn't need a full build to run everything from the Rubicon, to John Bull, to metal masher. I've built a few, but it would be hard to buy a brand new one to hack up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Go cheap and go straight into axle swap. Consider getting the LSD for the rear D44, or the Willys. That gives you the option of axle upgrade in front and regear in rear if you need to spread the purchases out.
Honestly the T-case is the only reason I’d consider a Rubicon if I had to buy again. The rock sliders are on the pinch seam, not the frame. Not sure if the non-Rubicon or upgraded sliders are different.
With the issues the auto sway bar has, I wouldn’t be afraid of an aftermarket solution and skipping the rubicon.
As others said, the auto is good now. I have heard it is awesome with the 2.0 and can help you avoid regear costs.
Thank you. I'm thinking of doing something like this.

dooms

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2021 JLU
I still have my 2014 Willys - Manual with no power windows/locks. Just basic. I put on the lift, bumpers, tires/wheels, tons of extras and is my daily driver and has been a joy to use the entire 7 years I've owned it. Giving that one to my teenage daughter and just ordered a 2021 Willys Sport - only option was the hard top. Going to do it all over again!

OP
OP

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Since this has devolved into an unsolicited financial thread, jeep is offering 0% on Wranglers right now. Paying cash when 0% financing is an option is probably unwise.
Some may say, but I don't qualify for 0% anyway. I haven't had a loan since 2005, when I got 0% on a GMC. I pay cash for everything.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
First let me say here this is not my only vehicle, I have three other new vehicles with both 8 and 10 speed automatic transmission. I want the 6 spd. manual for the fun of driving one, not because I want a smooth ride and drive. Your looking at it from what you want, not from what I want. I don't care how smooth the 8 spd. auto is, it a boring ride for me in the Jeep.

OP
OP

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
First let me say here this is not my only vehicle, I have three other new vehicles with both 8 and 10 speed automatic transmission. I want the 6 spd. manual for the fun of driving one, not because I want a smooth ride and drive. Your looking at it from what you want, not from what I want. I don't care how smooth the 8 spd. auto is, it a boring ride for me in the Jeep.
I love driving manuals, but I just about broke my left ankle a few days ago. I was limping and there is no way I could have driven one that day. I'm going to get the 8 speed.
Sponsored