Sponsored

Considering Gladiator. Share your trade in value on JL.

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
Heres some real world numbers...paid 31,1xx for a 2018 jlu sport...drove it for 13 months putting 24k miles of beat down on it. I got 28k even trading it in with 4k in positive equity for a.....wait for it....

An 03 TJ that has lowish miles with a frame/underneath/body as clean and or cleaner than my 2018...and it literally has more money put into in mods than what I paid for it. 11k.

Now I own 2 TJs...yeah yeah...call me crazy. But there my fav gen.
Sponsored

Reactions: eck

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Be aware of how a salesman works, however.

They may offer you a lot for your trade to make up for not taking much off so MSRP.

Or vise versa take more off of the MSRP and offer less for your trade.

Which to them in the end is the same number...dont fall for it.

I have a trick;

Go in looking to buy.

DO NOT tell them you have a trade in.

Negotiate a sale until you get to a number that you like/agree upon.

Then go back and say you've changed your mind and want to trade in a vehicle.

At this point you have them by the balls. Fight fire with fire;)
Except they haven't offered you what you want for your trade yet. If you negotiated a great price on the new Jeep it will be real hard for you to get what you want on your trade. The dealers will still work this as a single transaction, even if you fake change your mind.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Except they haven't offered you what you want for your trade yet. If you negotiated a great price on the new Jeep it will be real hard for you to get what you want on your trade. The dealers will still work this as a single transaction, even if you fake change your mind.
Kinda sorta but not really.

Up to buyers dicrestion on whether to not get hosed or not on a deal.

If your trade is worth 40k fair value and they offer you 30k...laugh in ther face and walk away.

I didnt say it eliminates negotiating..all it does is put the flame under there behind

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Kinda sorta but not really.

Up to buyers dicrestion on whether to not get hosed or not on a deal.

If your trade is worth 40k fair value and they offer you 30k...laugh in ther face and walk away.

I didnt say it eliminates negotiating..all it does is put the flame under there behind
I agree with that 1000% and obviously it doesn't eliminate negotiations, my point was I haven't found that doing it that way has made a big difference and yes I have tried it. I agree that it may help a little but I don't think it automatically gives you the opportunity to make a great deal on the new car and then again on the trade. Sometimes the dealer will give you a better deal on the new car if you have a valuable trade in because they know that 2 transactions will typically make them more money than one. The key is obviously to know what you have and what your are getting, if not you will get hosed as you said

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at trading and after I drove one, I hate it. It's just a small pickup truck, nothing special.

In fact, I spoke to the service guy after work (ran into him at the grocery store and told him my thoughts about trading). He said don't do it. the Gladiator is just a jeep with a RAM rear end. That is the only difference. I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you want a truck, get a RAM.

my 2 cents....dont have to agree :)

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Bone stock they wouldve offered 42,500 they said.

But I have a book of upgrades, service and installation receipts.

I have appx 18K in upgrades, so in turn they offered me ⅓ of that value. Which isnt bad actually. Having the receipts helps too.
As I was told once, a bank doesn't finance the mods; they finance the vehicle. My brother works for a dealership and most mods are removed before a used vehicle hits the lot.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
As I was told once, a bank doesn't finance the mods; they finance the vehicle. My brother works for a dealership and most mods are removed before a used vehicle hits the lot.
Oooo we are in disagreement here.

If someone trades in a Dodge Durango with 24" rims, then yes I suppose your correct.

But we are talking about Jeeps here.

Most mods on a Jeep are NOT removed actually.

To remove a lift kit, adj. track barks, steel bumpers, rims, tires, air compressors, steering stabilizers, etc. Etc. Etc...is actually very expensive to do and that's if the original Jeep owner saved all the original parts to replace with.(for a dealership to remove and replace all mods that I have personally done would cost them thousands in parts and labor).

...not all people use banks to purchase toys btw.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Oooo we are in disagreement here.

If someone trades in a Dodge Durango with 24" rims, then yes I suppose your correct.

But we are talking about Jeeps here.

Most mods on a Jeep are NOT removed actually.

To remove a lift kit, adj. track barks, steel bumpers, rims, tires, air compressors, steering stabilizers, etc. Etc. Etc...is actually very expensive to do and that's if the original Jeep owners saved all those original parts to replace with.(for a dealership to remove and replace all mods that I have personally done would cost them thousands in parts and labor).

...not all people use banks to purchase toys btw.
Or you could have my philosophy. Never buy a heavily modded Jeep for several reasons. A). Quality of said mods B). Were they put on properly? C). A heavily modded Jeep has probably had the piss beaten out if it. D). You're probably buying someone's problem. But, hey, just my philosophy.:like: I have been known to be wrong a few times in my life:giggle:

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Or you could have my philosophy. Never buy a heavily modded Jeep for several reasons. A). Quality of said mods B). Were they put on properly? C). A heavily modded Jeep has probably had the piss beaten out if it. D). You're probably buying someone's problem. But, hey, just my philosophy.:like: I have been known to be wrong a few times in my life:giggle:
Yes your very right actually!

....which is WHY 85% of my mods are Mopar products(lift kit, rims, flash tire size,roof rack/cargo basket, mud floor liners, apillar light brackets, black satin grille, winch guard, side steps, grab handles, etc, etc) all installed by the dealer.

all other mods I have can be easily removed and replaced with oem parts I saved(I saved every nut and bolt and part).

But yes, those who take there Jeeps and hack away at them and install cheap China made product and sell all the OEM parts for $$ will be hurting at trade in time or selling.

Most of my mods actually add value.

I understand your point very well however.

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Not sure if your still in the market but Buchannon auto park in Waynesboro PA is has destroyed all other dealers as far as advertised prices and trade in values. No commision. I did the whole thing over text messages. They are a volume dealer and told me they make the majority of their money off of dealers kick backs. They were offering prices around 10% off.
Thats a sweet ass jeep you have by the way!
Thank you , that is a little far from Florida, but I might try just to see what they offer. I do love this Jeep, just that damn truck has me sprung!

Sponsored

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
Here is an additional set of values...

I am looking at trading my 2019 Jeep Rubicon, 2.0L, Mopar Lift, Wheels, and Tires, plus Rock Slide Electric Steps.

The window sticker was $59,879 and I put an additional $8,000+ in it for the mods, so let's say 70k for retail.

Here are my cash offers at different dealerships:

$43,500
$42,300
$47,000

That is the actual cash offers, not trade values... I had one trade value of $50k and that was the $47k, but I am sure that is using more holdback etc...

Last edited:

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've been looking at trading mine in it's a basically stock 18 jlu sport s paid I think it was around 33k and was offered 28k to 30k trade in from local dealers.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Here is an additional set of values...

I am looking at trading my 2019 Jeep Rubicon, 2.0L, Mopar Lift, Wheels, and Tires, plus Rock Slide Electric Steps.

The window sticker was $59,879 and I put an additional $8,000+ in it for the mods, so let's say 70k for retail.

Here are my cash offers at different dealerships:

$43,500
$42,300
$47,000

That is the actual cash offers, not trade values... I had one trade value of $50k and that was the $47k, but I am sure that is using more holdback etc...
If they offered you 47K cash...take it!

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but your Jeep ain't seeing 70k. Not even close

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
If they offered you 47K cash...take it!

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but your Jeep ain't seeing 70k. Not even close
No bubble to burst, I didn't say I wanted 70k.... I was simply stating what I had been offered for reference...

Where did I say what I was expecting or wanting? I think you need to go back and re-read the text.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
No bubble to burst, I didn't say I wanted 70k.... I was simply stating what I had been offered for reference...

Where did I say what I was expecting or wanting? I think you need to go back and re-read the text.
I didn't say you were expecting or wanting that.

You referenced your sticker+mods=70K retail.

"The window sticker was $59,879 and I put an additional $8,000+ in it for the mods, so let's say 70k for retail."

All I'm saying is you'll never see 70K.

Mods or not, your rig is worth about 40k trade in...and maybe 45k private sale.
Sponsored