First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I like the Teraflex, but I like the AEV Dualsport better! It has much better on-road manners and is super capable off-road. If I had to choose between the two, I’d get the AEV again.
Im assuming you know someone with the AEV. Awesome, thanks for the input!!! I appreciate you!
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Something to drive is something to drive. If you can afford to get him a new Jeep, and it's no strain on your family, then that's up to you.

Minus the no kid deserves a brand new Jeep comments (and some do have merit) let's talk about the Jeep to get him. Are you living vicaiously through him and want him to have the coolest Jeep around? My advice, since you are buying him a new one, is to buy a plain 2 door, manual transmission and no lift.

2 door, Why? to reduce you liability risk. Less seating means less kids inside. As a matter of fact, remove the backseat.

Manual transmission, Why? So he learns to focus on building his skill as a new driver. We all made mistakes in the first year or two of driving and didn't really get good for and year or two after that. Distractions make learning to hone those skills more difficult. With a manual transmission, both hands are required, so there is far less likelihood that he will be scrolling though his phone. Also, none of his friends will know how to drive his Jeep, so there will be even less exposure to liability.

No nods, Why? They cost money and are especially desired by young guys. You bought the Jeep, make him do his part by saving for the mods. Then the two of you go over those mods and they are only done with your approval, not with Craigslist parts and the help of his friend whose dad is a TV repairman and has an awesome set of tools. Keep it 100% stock for the first 6 months to a year depending on how he shows his judgement and driving skill.

That's my opinion, since you asked. And I'm sure he will be thrilled with a Sport or Willys Sport with no mods. I know I would have.

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Talking from personal experience (currently 22 y/o) my parents got both my twin sister and I brand new Jeeps for graduating college. She got a High Altitude and I got the Rubicon. They brought us home from college for a weekend in April to surprise us and spec out our Jeeps. We were both absolutely shocked and excited, we would have never imagined them doing this since both Jeeps would be nicer than anything they have ever driven or owned. You say you trust your son and thinks he deserves it, that’s fair and in that case I bet he will NEVER flip the Jeep it’s pretty hard to do. Interested in why you want to get him the High Altitude? I would maybe let him spec one out himself if ordering from factory and tell him the price range you are looking to spend. My sister liked the H/A more than the Rubicon based on looks and mine only costed about $2k more (but mine will probably have the better resale value). Jeeps are a great vehicle for everyone, great in all weather conditions and tops and doors come off in the good weather so he will have a blast! My parents got us our Jeeps because they wanted the best in life for us even if it meant they couldn’t have it. I feel like having an amazing vehicle like this when you are young makes it even more rewarding compared to when you are older.

A086082A-246B-4951-9287-5937200AE71B.jpeg

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I would never get a 16 y/o any new vehicle. No matter how responsible they may be. They just don't appreciate what can happen. Get a safe used disposable car and let them crash it. Because it's pretty much guaranteed they will. That's why insurance for 16-25 y/o's is sky high. That's very generous in itself if you ask me.

Once they've learned the experience of crashing, or have avoided it until they're 25, maybe then.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with Joe (@The Last Cowboy ) above. 2 door manual transmission jeep. One of the biggest factors in teen accidents is distractions from their fellow teens, the more there are in the jeep the higher the chances of an accident. Plus if you get him stick shift his dumb friends won’t be able to borrow the jeep.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My first car was an old rust bucket Ford. I loved it because I worked to buy it. Most of my friends were the same way.

I do recall that the parents of one of my buddies bought him a new and fancy car. He adored it. He died in it in less than 23 months later when he was ejected after smashing into a tree At high speed. Very sad.

Does being given a brand new luxury car at 16 mean that you are going to automatically kill yourself? NO. But, to me, it doesn’t help a teen grow up into a self-reliant young man either.

OP, if you like Jeeps and your son like Jeeps and you think that it’s a good idea to just give him a car, I recommend that you at least consider a nice used JK. Better idea: Have your son use some of summer work money to “pay” for some of that used JK. And, you may suggest to him that he take good care of it because it will also be the vehicle that he will drive all through college and to his first day on the job after college.

Last edited:

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Do we think this is a good idea? Not the average car for a 16 year old for sure, but this boy is for sure deserving of it. It was either this or a Mercedes but we're worried about that getting keyed (or something (the wife is quite the paranoid freak) ). Ive heard the wrangler is easy to flip which is definitely a concern.

Please feel free to share any opinions or info

Thanks.
Deserving? Then absolutely!!!

I have a 21 year old nephew that doesn't deserve a cheese burger from McDonalds.

Awesome to hear you have such a great kid!!!

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Talking from personal experience (currently 22 y/o) my parents got both my twin sister and I brand new Jeeps for graduating college. She got a High Altitude and I got the Rubicon. They brought us home from college for a weekend in April to surprise us and spec out our Jeeps. We were both absolutely shocked and excited, we would have never imagined them doing this since both Jeeps would be nicer than anything they have ever driven or owned. You say you trust your son and thinks he deserves it, that’s fair and in that case I bet he will NEVER flip the Jeep it’s pretty hard to do. Interested in why you want to get him the High Altitude? I would maybe let him spec one out himself if ordering from factory and tell him the price range you are looking to spend. My sister liked the H/A more than the Rubicon based on looks and mine only costed about $2k more (but mine will probably have the better resale value). Jeeps are a great vehicle for everyone, great in all weather conditions and tops and doors come off in the good weather so he will have a blast! My parents got us our Jeeps because they wanted the best in life for us even if it meant they couldn’t have it. I feel like having an amazing vehicle like this when you are young makes it even more rewarding compared to when you are older.

A086082A-246B-4951-9287-5937200AE71B.jpeg
When you are finished extolling the virtues of parents spoiling their kids, would you mind "Passing the Grey Poupon" ? Gag!!!
I remember your original post. You sounded like a spoiled brat, because the ordered Jeeps your Mommy and Daddy bought you weren't exactly as you wanted.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
When you are finished extolling the virtues of parents spoiling their kids, would you mind "Passing the Grey Poupon" ? Gag!!!
I remember your original post. You sounded like a spoiled brat, because the ordered Jeeps your Mommy and Daddy bought you weren't exactly as you wanted.
Really? I remember that thread and just took a look.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-dealership-ordered-the-wrong-jeep.72950/

So, you order a jeep, a specific model. You show up and there is a completely different model and you have to start the order process again? You wouldn't be pissed off? As if. Get off the guys back. There are literally owners on here whining that they didn't get a drain plug on their diff or guys saying they're gonna sue because their rig doesn't honk when it hits 32PSI. This young lad had a legit bitch and he has valid input on this thread specifically.

Don't be a dick just because you didn't get anything from your parents. I didn't either but that doesn't make me any less happy about this kid getting a new Jeep.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I would never get a 16 y/o any new vehicle. No matter how responsible they may be. They just don't appreciate what can happen. Get a safe used disposable car and let them crash it. Because it's pretty much guaranteed they will.
This.

I just recently bought my first Jeep ever, and I wouldn't say that they are easy to flip. Unless, of course, you are a 16-year old.
And also this.

My second vehicle was a used Jeep Cherokee, which I loved, but rolled at least twice that I can remember. Honestly won't fault someone that has the means to afford buying their kid even a $130k+ G-Wagon, but imo it just seems like a waste for their first few years of driving. Buying something safe and used (or a relatively cheaper new car/truck) for their first vehicle seems more practical, while having the intention of giving them the nicer ride after they've gained some time and experience behind the wheel.

No matter how smart and responsible they may be, there's a very good reason why most rental car companies won't do business with actual adults under 21 and usually won't rent their nicer vehicles to anyone still under 25. But ultimately, that's your decision, so best of luck!

Gnomad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 392 XR, C7Z Corvette, C5Z Corvette
My parents gave me a used CJ5 for my 16th Birthday. I lost control of it going VERY fast on a dirt road and rolled 3+ times two weeks later.

My son wanted a Jeep when he turned 16, we got him a Honda Civic. 😂

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
As much as I would enjoy my kids getting into jeeping at 16 with me, I don’t think a new wrangler is the safest car for a first time driver. I have been driving wranglers for over 20 years but I would probably want my boys first cars to be the safest thing on the road. While the JL is the safest jeep so far, I would have to think a new Mercedes would be safer.
If I was in the position to spend that much money on their first car,I don’t think I would go with a Jeep.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Im assuming you know someone with the AEV. Awesome, thanks for the input!!! I appreciate you!
I have the AEV lift on a 21 JLUR. 👍🏼
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.