Sponsored

Considering a used Rubicon that was a lemon. What should I look for?

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Provided infinite amounts of time, patience and/or money.
So it is feasible for you to take a lemon and turn it into a trouble free vehicle. It is not feasible for @tomd to do so.

I'm about to pick-up a new 2021 JLUR Diesel for $49.1k + $500 TTL.

Has diesel, remote start, proximity, leather seats, etc.

If you're willing to wait, you'll get a better vehicle (new) for comparable to what you'd spend on your lemon.

Run, don't walk, away from this "deal"
He has better options. He will end up paying a shop like yours much more than the additional cost of a new unit.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So it is feasible for you to take a lemon and turn it into a trouble free vehicle. It is not feasible for @tomd to do so.
You must be quoting the wrong post.

I don’t think it is worth the trouble.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The only reason one should go this route is if you can get a serious discount, and have the repair available from the start.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
You must be quoting the wrong post.

I don’t think it is worth the trouble.
I am agreeing with you. While it is possible, it is not the best option.

It would only make sense if @tomd was able to do the work himself. Who knows what else he will find once he starts to work on the vehicle.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
A local used dealer has a 19’ rubicon for sale. Carfax indicates FCA reacquired the Wrangler for:

compressor replacement0717 - overheating concerns
  • 1805 - CEL illuminated0703 - hose replacement2402
  • - AC malfunction
Dealer claims 12 month factory unlimited mileage warranty.

Should I run away?
You will likely loose on resale what you gain on the front end. That Carfax isn’t going away

Sponsored

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
A local used dealer has a 19’ rubicon for sale. Carfax indicates FCA reacquired the Wrangler for:

• - AC malfunction

Should I run away?
The Door and run! The odds of getting one with issues is already very high so don’t t buy a known lemon that’s not gonna end well!

JjonesFloJo

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 Eco Diesel
RUN AWAY FAST!!!!......Wait REALLY FAST!!!!

I just had my 2020 JLUR bought back. I feel sorry for the person that buys it from FCA. It will end up getting them killed.

You will have very little recourse should issues come up. And they will because regardless of what the dealer says the issues are still there otherwise FCA would have fixed them under warranty and not bought the Jeep back.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I bought an 18 JLUR that was a factory buyback in December 18 with 3,900 miles on it. I had to sign a form from Jeep disclosing it was a manufacture buyback for engine stalling and that it was covered by the remainder of the factory warranty or 12 months unlimited miles whichever was longer. That's all the info the dealer had from Jeep on it. The service department tried pulling the service history for me to see what warranty work had been done on it and it showed nothing other than the in service date was 2/2018. I was able to buy it for $10K under the original window sticker. It now has 40K miles on it. Only issue I've had was the auxiliary battery going bad in summer 2019 and the recall for the steering stabilizer. My title doesn't show Lemon because Missouri doesn't have Lemon branded titles and the Carfax report just shows it was reported at auto auction in November 18 as a manufacture vehicle. So when I go to sell it there is no record of it being a Lemon that could possibly hurt the resale value. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if it was a great deal.

Sug McMaster

First Name
Sug McMaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara wrangler

• - AC malfunction

Should I run away?
I would run far and fast...just purchased a brand new loaded Sahara with extras purchased and installed by alleged mopar tech...its been at dealership and in shop for over a month...pitiful

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Something folks don’t understand. Carfax will only show “lemon buy backs” if the buy back was court ordered. Which is not very common as most manufacturers will settle out of court.

If a manufacturer buys your vehicle back in an “out of court” settlement there will be no record of it as a “lemon”. The only thing you can go by is the service history which of course you are now trusting the manufacturer to be honest with.....LOL

The manufacturer is going to take the “buy back” to auction and try to recoup most of their losses. It could be bought by a franchise dealership or other used car dealership. At this point even with a remaining warranty the manufacturer has just “kicked the can down the road” to the next buyer that now does not have the full backing of lemon laws because the vehicle now falls under the umbrella of a used car.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler

• - AC malfunction

Should I run away?
RUN as fast as you can. I can't believe they'd even risk selling it to someone. Price better be half off or something. It's like an R title only worse.