Sponsored

Considering a used Rubicon that was a lemon. What should I look for?

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
IL here. $58.6K out the door for my '20 JLURD with everything but leather seats. I guess you could get a stripped JLUR for about $50K.
I ordered my 21 JLUR from Hawk CDJR in IL and paid $50k out the door. The only options I don't have are steel bumpers and perforated leather (I do have leather seats though). I paid 6% below invoice. Also, remember you paid several thousand dollars for Diesel and I did not.
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Dealers treat warranties like Medica** insurance anyway. A brand new vehicle with significant issues takes an inordinate amount of effort to get resolved, if you even can get resolution. I would never buy a vehicle that another customer already had problems with that were significant enough it had to be bought back. Unless you’re a certified mechanic for that manufacturer, I wouldn’t pay $100 for a lemon unless it was a second vehicle.

I’ve dumped multiple vehicles on unsuspecting dealers because the manufacturer and dealerships refused to honor the warranty. One went through 3 transmissions in 62k miles. Another had an engine blew 500 miles after I sold it. 4 dealers couldn’t “replicate” my issues with even though it could only go uphill in 1st gear at redline or if momentum carried it over. NONE of them were bought back under lemon laws, granted I didn’t hire a lawyer.

RUN, don’t walk away.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my 21 JLUR from Hawk CDJR in IL and paid $50k out the door. The only options I don't have are steel bumpers and perforated leather (I do have leather seats though). I paid 6% below invoice. Also, remember you paid several thousand dollars for Diesel and I did not.
6 is nice. Real nice.
I was happy with the 3 I got.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I wouldn’t touch it.

A buyback is a vehicle that was never satisfactorily repaired. If it were, FCA wouldn’t have had to take it back.

Yes, they extend the warranty blah blah blah...

When you buy a buyback vehicle, you end up becoming best friends with your service advisor, service manager, and the entire service dept.
Nothing is irreparable.

Sponsored

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
RUN.

If you can be patient, let the used market come back down to reality and buy a well sorted one for the same price.

Last edited:

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Don’t buy a lemon. Especially if it’s reflected in carfax. Good luck trying to sell it in the future.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
RUN! They have enough problems to begin with. Saving a little money is NOT worth losing your sanity

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Nothing is irreparable.
I have seen mechanics buy discarded vehicles and fix them up like new.

They are able to do this because they do most of the work themselves. They will get another technical person to assist with some electrical work and some body work here and there. However, they do the bulk of the work themselves.

I don't think it is feasible otherwise. The cost would be too great.

It also takes a lot of time.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I have seen mechanics buy discarded vehicles and fix them up like new.

They are able to do this because they do most of the work themselves. They will get another technical person to assist with some electrical work and some body work here and there. However, they do the bulk of the work themselves.

I don't think it is feasible otherwise. The cost would be too great.

It also takes a lot of time.
We do it all the time.