Sponsored

Considering a used Rubicon that was a lemon. What should I look for?

ResGuy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner, 16 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I'm about to pick-up a new 2021 JLUR Diesel for $49.1k + $500 TTL.

Has diesel, remote start, proximity, leather seats, etc.

If you're willing to wait, you'll get a better vehicle (new) for comparable to what you'd spend on your lemon.

Run, don't walk, away from this "deal"
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I sincerely doubt that.
IL here. $58.6K out the door for my '20 JLURD with everything but leather seats. I guess you could get a stripped JLUR for about $50K.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
It may or may not be a big deal. AC failure is not a big deal. Could have been just a lack of parts, covid issues, depends on the timing. The PO could have just needed out and used the convenience of the parts situation to get it lemoned. Could have just been a bad dealer, lots of reports of those, that didn't get the problem addressed in a timely manner.

If an engine overheat occurred for some reason, this would be a bit concerning. If you were really interested I would do some more digging but that seems like WAY too much money to me for a lemoned vehicle. It is almost three years old now and has a bad history report. With no more details I would say it doesn't look like a very good deal to me. Our new JLR was $43k.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
IL here. $58.6K out the door for my '20 JLURD with everything but leather seats. I guess you could get a stripped JLUR for about $50K.
My rubicon cost right around $40k out the door. Granted it’s a two door not an unlimited, but even stripped rubicons like mine still have:
-garage door opener
-electric and heated mirrors
-airbags
-7” screen and radio, Carplay/Android Auto
-interior.... um... mood lights?
-cruise control
-remote locking/unlocking of the jeep
-steering wheel volume controls

I say this all the time- rubicons don’t have to cost $50-65k. They cost that much because we don’t have the self control to pick just a few options.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
58 is not 50. Mine was 51 three years ago, those prices aren’t seen anymore.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You’d be knowingly purchasing something that you KNOW isn’t right. Why??? You have an aching need for more stress and problems in your life? Is it the only Jeep available for you to buy? If it is, get a different vehicle but leave that POS where it sits.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t touch it.

A buyback is a vehicle that was never satisfactorily repaired. If it were, FCA wouldn’t have had to take it back.

Yes, they extend the warranty blah blah blah...

When you buy a buyback vehicle, you end up becoming best friends with your service advisor, service manager, and the entire service dept.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
There are deals out there you just have to wait and keep looking. People also return vehicles after leasing ...sometimes they just want out and it is in your favor if you are there at the right time and place. I searched for almost a year and then found (to me) my dream vehicle 2 hours away. I drove out ..negotiated it for 40 and bought it. 2018 JLR everything I wanted most importantly is that it was a manual 2 door that had 10,000 miles on the OD ...one year old. She has been perfect in every way..love it! this was 2 years ago and I drive the snot out of it and still love this rig. FCA has a lot of issues yes but they have progressed this vehicle into my ideal transportation and morphed it into one fun machine! I hope you find one that suits your needs!! Or as others had said you can order one if you are willing to wait. I think like others have posted you should keep looking ...there may be something that may not be being reported on the vehicle. Too many unknowns specially at that price.

new price.png

IMG_4362.jpg

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Just do a custom order for a new one at that price.

You could get a decently equipped Rubicon for under $50K pretty easily through one of the high volume dealers.

Build what you want online, then take ~10% off the sticker. You can order for 10% off sticker all day long from several different dealers. I got 15% off sticker on my Sahara Altitude in July from Gupton. $53.5k sticker, I paid $46k.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase