Sponsored

Connector for wiring of 3rd brake light?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I want to relocate my 3rd brake light and rear view camera. I need to extend the cable lengths.

In another recent thread I was able to learn about the rear view camera's FAKRA connectors. That info will make it easy to get just the right length cable for the camera relocation.

I am wondering if anyone has figured out what the specific connectors for the 3rd brake light wiring are. I have a cable extender, but what I would like to do is get a long cable that has a connector to match the wiring harness in the tailgate and another connector that matches the light assembly so the number of connectors is minimized.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Sponsored

Last edited:

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
After moving mine and installing a Mopar third brake light on the spare I chose to cut my extended bake light cable and add a plug inline. This let me leave the original plug always connected to the tail light which makes taking it off for tire rotations, flats, etc. much easier. And the plug that goes into the third brake light is not very good.

Here is the plug I used.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTFR1JN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Wrangler JL Connector for wiring of 3rd brake light? PXL_20210902_175852421

Jeep Wrangler JL Connector for wiring of 3rd brake light? PXL_20210902_175900371

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That is a very handy idea.

I am trying to relocate the third brake light onto a (semi) permanent mount on a tire carrier swing arm's cargo basket so I will not need the easy disconnect capability.

I do not want to add another pair of connectors if I can avoid it. I would prefer to end up with new examples of the same two connectors that are currently in place, and a longer set of wires.

That is why I would like to find matches for the original equipment connectors.

Thank you!

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
That is a very handy idea.

I am trying to relocate the third brake light onto a (semi) permanent mount on a tire carrier swing arm's cargo basket so I will not need the easy disconnect capability.

I do not want to add another pair of connectors if I can avoid it. I would prefer to end up with new examples of the same two connectors that are currently in place, and a longer set of wires.

That is why I would like to find matches for the original equipment connectors.

Thank you!
Sounds like you're making it harder on yourself than you need to. If you really don't want to have another connector, just splice in lengths of wire. If they're soldered they will be strong. Always make sure those points are somewhere where it is held straight so you don't flex the splice back and forth. As far as the connector it is written on the connector w/ part number. I saw them online one day, but I don't think its worth buying the minimums of the parts to use them.

If this basket is for a LOD Destroyer basket, I've done a little on this already. I have the camera mount done and know what I'm going to do for the brake, but have not put it into CAD yet (not my top priority right now but I can rearrange that). Once I get around to testing the camera to know my angles and position are good I was going to make it out of metal; right now it is just printer plastic. It would not be hard to produce 2 if you cover the extra costs.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for the offer about the mounts. I am using the swing arm tire carrier as a basis for a car camping rack. I bought the manufactured top rack accessory and have been experimenting with adding a larger cargo package where the tire was intended to go.

When I get it all figured out I will place the camera and light in a fixed location, and in the meantime I am placing it where ever seems convenient. I have an American Adventure Labs camera holder which I used temporarily, and I also have an Artec Spare Delete Plate that has a similarly shaped combination camera/lamp holder which I have been using currently.

Thanks for the info. It is encouraging to learn that you had found a source for the connectors. I will keep looking.

I have the connector at the light available to look at but have not pulled the tailgate backing to look at that one.

Thank you.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Thanks for the info. It is encouraging to learn that you had found a source for the connectors. I will keep looking.

I have the connector at the light available to look at but have not pulled the tailgate backing to look at that one.

Thank you.
The brake light and inside the tailgate are the same connector except the inside tailgate one I believe is locking version w/ a red tab. Or I could have that switched. IIRC they are the same and Waytek (now a different company name) is a good place to get such connectors, but beware they usually have a 5-20 item minimum for housings and 50-100 minimum quantity for terminals. You might be able to get the parts on amazon, but that stuff is always 4-6x what it is everywhere else since they sell sale quantities on amazon. While I don't know if this applies here, not all connectors are available to the general public. It is most likely a Amphenol or Molex connector because that is mostly what I have seen on my jeep.

it really doesn't matter to use the same connectors, you just need that 1 connector you already have from that plugs into the light. I fished the wires and camera coax out of the door and up to the passenger rear quarter by the rollbar. I rewrapped the door lock wiring and pulled the zipties apart so I could reuse them to make it look like factory (my standard MO for wiring). I originally de-pinned the connector so I could feed the wires thru the grommet for the taillight and then insert them into the housing again, but wires weren't long enough for where I was putting my light. From that roll bar I think it was something like 64inches of wire to the inside door connector.
If you're mounting the brake light low you might have enough wire in the length to the door to reach. I had to add something like 40in to mine, so I terminated my own connection in the brake light area with the water seal connectors that I have already. I just cut the inside connector off on the brake light wire harness and spliced the end I needed into my wire harness and it was done. I staggered the splice joints to not create a bulge and set them so they were in a location that is up against my flat metal; this way they will not be weakened from the rigidity that solder creates in wires. I'm telling you all this trying to help save you some effort

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I searched the internet for the part number on the OEM connector that plugs into the 3rd brake light and could not find any info.

The OEM FAKRA coaxial video connector on my Jeep is made by Amphenol, but I could not find an Amphenol part with the markings I found on the brake light power connector

I looked at the brake light extender cable that came with my aftermarket bumper package and found that it was assembled with Molex MXP120 series connectors.

They seem to be easy to find, they are sold in quantities of one, and they are inexpensive.

They also seem to work; I plugged in the extender and it worked fine.

The extender I have is shorter than I need, so I can use this info to make the cable length I want.

Here is the info I found on the aftermarket wire harness extender cable.:

34899 - 2080
211 1 20
https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/crimp_housings/0348992080

34900 - 2120
339 2 19
https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/crimp_housings/0349002120

Thank you very much for suggesting that the parts could be located.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Note:

These connectors seem to conform to a standard adopted as the USCAR 1.2mm Connectors (sealed) footprint.

Any corrections or additional comments are welcome and will be appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored