Connecting Spot Beam Harness to Aux Switch

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I need a little guidance on how to connect this wiring harness to one of my aux switches. I purchased these spot lights
which come with a wiring harness/switch. I want to use one of my aux switches to turn these on. Which one of these wires should go to my aux switch? Is it the + battery wire or the wire labeled black wire to gold switch terminal?

Diagram is here:

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/1501252_INS.pdf

I've connected backup lights to aux 4, but those didn't come with a harness/relay so it was more straightforward.
Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I need a little guidance on how to connect this wiring harness to one of my aux switches. I purchased these spot lights
which come with a wiring harness/switch. I want to use one of my aux switches to turn these on. Which one of these wires should go to my aux switch? Is it the + battery wire or the wire labeled black wire to gold switch terminal?

Diagram is here:

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/1501252_INS.pdf

I've connected backup lights to aux 4, but those didn't come with a harness/relay so it was more straightforward.
More or less here is how you look at it
The "switch" is your AUX wires
The AUX wiring harness already has a fuse relay, so you can bypass the one in the light harness if you choose, or leave it in if you prefer.
The positive on the battery is the +
The ground on the side of the Jeep chassis is -

OP
OP

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
The AUX wiring harness already has a fuse relay, so you can bypass the one in the light harness if you choose, or leave it in if you prefer.
Thank you!

OP
OP

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
The lights finally came in and I got them mounted. Here is a picture of the switch on the wiring harness. Instead of using this switch I want to use Aux 1. Do I just cut these 3 wires, twist them together and connect them to the Aux 1 wire?

IMG_2100.jpg

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
No! As previously mentioned, you can lose the switch, relay and fused positive lead from the provided wiring harness.

AriesWiringDiagram.png

That should leave you with two wires to the lights themselves, your positive and negative leads. Attach the positive lead to the aux wire in the engine compartment and the negative to a body/frame ground near the battery. You may have to disassemble the provided wire loom by removing shrink-wrap etc., and you'll want to cut in a way to maximize the remaining wire length. You'll also want to check the power draw of the lights and potentially change the factory fuse for the aux switch you connect to. I believe it's 40amp for switches #1 and #2, and 15 amp for #3 and #4. Or, depending on how the provided loom is assembled, keep the inline fuse in place.

Sponsored

OP
OP

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
No! As previously mentioned, you can lose the switch, relay and fused positive lead from the provided wiring harness.

AriesWiringDiagram.png

That should leave you with two wires to the lights themselves, your positive and negative leads. Attach the positive lead to the aux wire in the engine compartment and the negative to a body/frame ground near the battery. You may have to disassemble the provided wire loom by removing shrink-wrap etc., and you'll want to cut in a way to maximize the remaining wire length. You'll also want to check the power draw of the lights and potentially change the factory fuse for the aux switch you connect to. I believe it's 40amp for switches #1 and #2, and 15 amp for #3 and #4.
Ahh okay thank you. This makes it so much easier.

OP
OP

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara

AriesWiringDiagram.png

That should leave you with two wires to the lights themselves, your positive and negative leads. Attach the positive lead to the aux wire in the engine compartment and the negative to a body/frame ground near the battery. You may have to disassemble the provided wire loom by removing shrink-wrap etc., and you'll want to cut in a way to maximize the remaining wire length. You'll also want to check the power draw of the lights and potentially change the factory fuse for the aux switch you connect to. I believe it's 40amp for switches #1 and #2, and 15 amp for #3 and #4. Or, depending on how the provided loom is assembled, keep the inline fuse in place.
The provided fuse is only 5 amp so is it safe to assume I can just use Aux #3 or #4 without changing the factory 15 amp fuse if I decide not use the inline fuse?

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
The provided fuse is only 5 amp so is it safe to assume I can just use Aux #3 or #4 without changing the factory 15 amp fuse if I decide not use the inline fuse?
Yes, I think so. I just installed some rock lights recently and had to do what you're doing (cut up the provided wiring loom) but I had to install them on a 40amp switch as all my 15amps were already occupied. I'm putting a 15amp fuse in that circuit just to protect the lights/wiring from damage should an overcurrent condition occur. If you ask me why that might/could happen then you've exausted my knowledge of electrical engineering. ;)

OP
OP

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Thanks for the advice. You guys saved me a lot of time and needless work. So far so good!
B9942748-4FF2-4246-A5AC-291E3AA3FEF6.jpeg

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

AriesWiringDiagram.png

Yeah, what he said ... :)