Connecting DRLs on a Sport S

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
I'm looking to install the Oracle external LED Halo lights. Given that I have a JL Sport S, I don't have DRLs so I can't splice them into that wire. I was thinking to splice them into the rear 12V power outlet using a fuse splitter. Does anyone have any better ideas? Or a better fuse to use? I like this fuse because you can adjust whether its always on, or only on with ignition (which is how I will run the lights)

Fuse splitter: https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Add-...=UTF8&qid=1543782550&sr=8-3&keywords=fuse+tap

Oracle Lights: https://www.oraclelights.com/collec...surface-mount-halo-kit?variant=12136971567173

Oracle light install:

Obviously I'll have to run a wire all the way from the lights to the fuse box but does anyone foresee any issues with my plan? Can I connect both Halo lights to a single fuse splitter?
Sponsored

robmoz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I just completed this exact project yesterday. I have a JL Sport, so no DRLs either. I wired them to a fuse tap feeding the heated seat fuse - F57 (you'll need a micro2 style to do this, not the mini size you show).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using this fuse position the halos come one when the ignition is on, but not in the accessory position, which was my goal. Now that I'm done, I think I want to add a switch on the dash so I can turn them off completely if I want to. I don't have the Aux switches, so I'm going to likely put this in:

https://www.amazon.com/AutoEC-Rocke...951747&sr=8-3&keywords=automotive+switch&th=1

below / near the headlight control knob.

Overall, I'm very happy with the halos. They are a little blue-hued, but not annoyingly so.

Good luck!

OP
OP

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
I just completed this exact project yesterday. I have a JL Sport, so no DRLs either. I wired them to a fuse tap feeding the heated seat fuse - F57 (you'll need a micro2 style to do this, not the mini size you show).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using this fuse position the halos come one when the ignition is on, but not in the accessory position, which was my goal. Now that I'm done, I think I want to add a switch on the dash so I can turn them off completely if I want to. I don't have the Aux switches, so I'm going to likely put this in:

https://www.amazon.com/AutoEC-Rocker-Toggle-Switch-Control/dp/B012IJ35VQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543951747&sr=8-3&keywords=automotive+switch&th=1

Overall, I'm very happy with the halos. They are a little blue-hued, but not annoyingly so.

Good luck!
Dude awesome! Thanks for the information. Hope you like it

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase

https://www.amazon.com/AutoEC-Rocker-Toggle-Switch-Control/dp/B012IJ35VQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543951747&sr=8-3&keywords=automotive+switch&th=1

Good luck!
Do you have the heated seat option? Do you just remove that fuse and use new micro fuse in its place? I’m getting ready to do the same thing and already have a fuse tap wire connector ready to go. Thanks

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Do you have the heated seat option? Do you just remove that fuse and use new micro fuse in its place? I’m getting ready to do the same thing and already have a fuse tap wire connector ready to go. Thanks
I don't have the Heated Seats pkg, but the fuse is there.I have my aftermarket XKglow Halos wired off the F57 fuse as well! I used a micro add-a-fuse like @robmoz said, and I got it off Amazon. You can't find these in any autoparts store, they only have the larger mini and regular fuse sizes.

F57 gets hot when you press the Push Start button twice (not once, like Accessory fuse F45 does). It also makes it hot when you remote start but haven't yet pushed the button. And it of course stays hot when the engine is running. It shuts off when when the Engine shuts off, even if you keep the door closed (Acc remains on).. You can use F45 if you want this other behavior (I used F45 for my extra USB ports for the rear seat).

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Did you just drill a small hole in the fuse box cover to run the wire into fuse 57?

Also best place to install a switch inside the cabin that's accessible without having to remove a bunch of access panels??

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here's that wire tap in fuse 57, ran wiring as shown and going down the side and zip tied to one of those large cables keeps it down and allows the fuse box lid to securely lock down.

100_4039.JPG

100_4040.JPG

100_4041.JPG

100_4031.JPG

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Here's that wire tap in fuse 57, ran wiring as shown and going down the side and zip tied to one of those large cables keeps it down and allows the fuse box lid to securely lock down.

100_4039.JPG

100_4040.JPG

100_4041.JPG

100_4031.JPG
I have no idea about wiring so i'm new to all of this. So if i buy that connector, plug it into F57 (where heated seats fuse would go), then wire that to the new LED headlights I'll have the DRL's? And what if I get bulbs for the fenders, can i run those into the same circuit adapter or would i need to get a second one for the fender light bulbs?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've got some fender switchbacks coming in a couple days so stay tuned :)
In short, yes you would be able to tap the fender & headlight DRLs to the same wire (you'd bypass the existing fender marker wire) w/ a new wire tapped into new DRL wire.

Sponsored

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I've got some fender switchbacks coming in a couple days so stay tuned :)
In short, yes you would be able to tap the fender & headlight DRLs to the same wire (you'd bypass the existing fender marker wire) w/ a new wire tapped into new DRL wire.
Not sure what a 'fender marker wire' is, like i said..........i havent done any wiring before lol. Im hoping its pretty simple out of the box, just a wire to run to the new adapter thats in the fuse box. hmmmm.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Can you still use F57 if you do have heated seats?
You could as those fuse taps have a slot for the existing fuse and another for the new "tapped" fuse. And FWIW the DRLs use very little amperage.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not sure what a 'fender marker wire' is, like i said..........i havent done any wiring before lol. Im hoping its pretty simple out of the box, just a wire to run to the new adapter thats in the fuse box. hmmmm.
Stay tuned, I'll get the fender DRL/Switchbacks wired up in a couple days (assuming the pkg shows up when they say it will).

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Stay tuned, I'll get the fender DRL/Switchbacks wired up in a couple days (assuming the pkg shows up when they say it will).
Another question, how is wiring for the integrated turn signals in the headlights? When you plug them in do the turn signals automoatically connect? Do I need to run wires to the fender turn signals to have that feature work? Im thinking plug in the headlights, then have to run one wire from the halo to a power source to have DRL's, then also have to run the halo to the turn signals to have them turn amber and flash when the turn signal is on.

Ed Tom Bell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport

100_4039.JPG

100_4040.JPG

100_4041.JPG

100_4031.JPG
What size wire tap fuse adaptor would I need-regular/mini/micro?
Sponsored