Sponsored

Connecticut state forest legal to ride in?

Aclud4

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Heading up to Connecticut this weekend and staying along the river in East Haddam. I'm finding mixed info online about legally driving through state forests. Some sites say it's all locked down and others say just go for it.

Is it legal to drive through the forests? Do they have fire roads that are open? I'll be near Cockaponset and Nehantic. Trying to decide if I take the Jeep or the car - not looking to go wheelin, just get into the forest where a toyota won't make it and get out for a hike without people around.

Thanks!

-AL
Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Not looking to go wheelin, just get into the forest where a toyota won't make it and get out for a hike without people around.
-AL
If you have to get rid of a body, I wouldn’t solicit advice in an online forum… :LOL:

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Interesting question, I just was wondering this myself. Local to me in a “state forest” I found some old fire roads that aren’t gated or blocked in any way. I even found these roads in the state forest maps listed as “forest roads”. Noticed most had yellow diamond tacked to trees near entrance. I believe in CT any inquiry will result in a “no” from our local government which doesn’t believe anyone has the right to off road exploration.

OP
OP
Aclud4

Aclud4

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I read somewhere that open gates and no sign saying “no motorized vehicles” meant it was open. Ended up taking the car up instead though

Captainejo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Currently there is no legal wheeling in CT on public lands. :(

Lots all around CT, but ct is really only open to private wheeling areas that clubs have access too.
Sponsored