Confused which JL model to get

Jlcurious

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep liberty
Hey, future Jeeper here, I was wondering what I should get. I am deciding between a Rubicon, a Moab, or a Rocky Ridge. I understand the Rubicon is the classic capable Jeep which as I plan on taking it to the beach once a weekend I feel like I need something off-road capable, the Moab seems to be the top of the line now and I LOVE the way it looks, and the Rocky Ridge even though it is a little more money, seems to be the best of both worlds, agressive mud tires, huge lift, and just overall COOL looks. Please help me out, money ain't no thang so either or is good. Thanks, can't wait to give everyone a jeep wave!
Sponsored

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary
Welcome to the forums! What ever you get would be a great choice! Go with the rocky ridge, my salesman said it will Be the most capable and the best value!

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Hey, future Jeeper here, I was wondering what I should get. I am deciding between a Rubicon, a Moab, or a Rocky Ridge. I understand the Rubicon is the classic capable Jeep which as I plan on taking it to the beach once a weekend I feel like I need something off-road capable, the Moab seems to be the top of the line now and I LOVE the way it looks, and the Rocky Ridge even though it is a little more money, seems to be the best of both worlds, agressive mud tires, huge lift, and just overall COOL looks. Please help me out, money ain't no thang so either or is good. Thanks, can't wait to give everyone a jeep wave!
1st, I think all of the Rocky Ridge editions are overkill (and ugly, but that's subjective). Get a Moab, it'll have everything you need and nothing you don't. You're not crawlin', you're beachin', and the Moab will be more than capable (if you don't need a lift, then you don't need a lift). Contact Mark Fitzpatrick [email protected] at Fitzpatrick Jeep in Ansonia, CT or Mike Knight at Suresky Jeep in Goshen, NY, order your Moab at 5% below invoice, and I'll see you at Smith Point Beach.

OP
OP

Jlcurious

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep liberty
1st, I think all of the Rocky Ridge editions are overkill (and ugly, but that's subjective). Get a Moab, it'll have everything you need and nothing you don't. You're not crawlin', you're beachin', and the Moab will be more than capable (if you don't need a lift, then you don't need a lift). Contact Mark Fitzpatrick [email protected] at Fitzpatrick Jeep in Ansonia, CT or Mike Knight at Suresky Jeep in Goshen, NY, order your Moab at 5% below invoice, and I'll see you at Smith Point Beach.
Hm I'm starting to agree, all the luxury of a sahara with some added capability. The Moab seems to be the perfect jeep.

Sponsored

Robertrinaustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18` JLUSS, Outback
Only reason to get the Moab is the full-time 4WD. If you really want or need that, go with the Mo. Otherwise I'd get the Rubi. No thoughts on the RR edition, not even sure of the specs.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Where are you seeing a Rocky Ridge Edition? I am on Jeep.com right now and don’t see it anywhere, thanks?
I googled it. Something I’d stay way away from. They looked to be an aftermarket outfitter. They were bragging about spacer lifts and great ride. I’m sure for the price you could build your Jeep right.

Brett

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Limited slip differential always did better for me in sand. Rubicon has live axels and if not careful that always spinning wheel digs a hole.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Hm I'm starting to agree, all the luxury of a sahara with some added capability. The Moab seems to be the perfect jeep.
I don't know about "perfect" but I definitely like mine! :like:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Hey Brett, did that last fix you’re gonna do fix your dw?

Sorry to get off topic @Jlcurious, I think you should get the rubicon, unlike popular belief, it’s not just for rock crawling, that’s a load of crapola. :).
Yes, we have fixed our DW. Drives great now!

Brett

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
OP, for what you’re describing what you want, I would suggest the MOAB. The limited slip will be better in the sand. It doesn’t sound like you need the upgrades offered in the Rubicon. I would stay clear of the Rocky Ridge. There are always large up charges from companies that offer “packages.” If you are capable of installing your own stuff, you will save a lot of money.

Reactions: JC7

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Get the Moab, or even a Sahara if all you will ever do is drive down the beach. Swap the tires and wheels out for something wider and be done with it.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I've never heard of Rocky Ridge either so googled up their site. They seem to take stock JL's and mod them. I suspect adding $10-20K to the cost which seems really expensive when all you really need to do is get the Moab and if you really crave a lift pick up the Mopar/Jeep factory lift kit. Granted only 2" but same Fox IPS shocks and all the little brackets and parts that you need to do a painless installation. Might want the Mopar/Fox steering stabilizer upgrade as well... :angel:

Something to consider if you are vertically challenged like me, is the higher you go the tougher it will be to get in said Jeep. And if you are married to someone who is vertically challenged (unlike me) you might not hear the end of that mistake.....

Probably cost around $4-5k to do the factory lift installed and wheels and tires depending on how crazy you go.

Reactions: JC7

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Limited slip differential always did better for me in sand. Rubicon has live axels and if not careful that always spinning wheel digs a hole.
The entire point of a Rubicon is that it has lockers on both of those live axles, so if a driver is digging a hole in sand, it's likely user-error.
Sponsored