Sponsored

Confused on Sport vs Sport S Pricing

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I noticed the following on the Sport vs Sport S pricing.

There is the same $3,200 MSRP difference between JL and JLU Sport vs Sport S MSRP. Okay that I understand. Sport S gets you features like alloy wheels, power windows, locks, mirrors.

The JL Sport does NOT include Air Conditioning. AC is a $1,295 option, but the JLU Sport includes AC.

Adding AC to a JL Sport to make it equivalent to a JLU Sport adds another $1,295.

JL Sport with A/C $28,190 + $1,295 = $29,485
JL Sport S = $31,390

Adding AC to the JL Sport makes the difference only $1,905 vs. the $3,200 difference between the JLU Sport and Sport S.

It seems Jeep is either not giving the JL Sport buyer a credit for NOT having AC or simply gouging JLU Sport S buyers by charging an additional $3,200 instead of $1,905.

Am I missing something obvious?
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
There is a $3500 difference between the Rubicon 2 and 4 door. But as far as I know there isn't any equipment difference between the two. So that would mean the Sport Unlimited base model should be +$3,000-3500 equipped the same. So technically the base 2 door should have the A/C at that price or cut a grand off the sticker for the base price to be equal. I don't think there are any other new cars sold in this country without standard air. But I'm guessing they don't sell too many base 2 door Sports without air conditioning anyway.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Believe this is the same with the JK Sport vs Sport S 2 door. 4 door Sport includes it but 2 door does not. As part of the price increase to the 4 door, you get AC.

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
I had noticed this as well. another thing is if you look at the "wrangler feature page" it shows the 4 door sport with hand cranks as having an additional 12v aux port in the rear of the center console while the 2 door sport does not show that. link - https://www.jeep.com/wrangler/interior.html

these are 2 important upgrades over the 2 door sport vs the 4 door sport. why do this? either lower the JL sport price or include the same options as its twin model with 2 extra doors. this is the one complaint i've had tbh. it's pretty dumbfounding.

Moe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Fit
Occupation
Retired X 2 = 23 years USAF + 23 years IT
The only way to make the price differences fair would be to add A/C to the JL Base Sport or remove it from the JLU Base Sport. But as in other areas, Jeep is trying to put the 2-Door at a disadvantage, making it less attractive and driving down sales, and justifying it's eventual discontinuation.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
The only way to make the price differences fair would be to add A/C to the JL Base Sport or remove it from the JLU Base Sport. But as in other areas, Jeep is trying to put the 2-Door at a disadvantage, making it less attractive and driving down sales, and justifying it's eventual discontinuation.
This is why I think the 2 door Sahara disappeared...
Sponsored

Reactions: Moe