Sponsored

Confused about 4XE acceleration times - question for owners

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

First of all I'm well aware no one buys a Wrangler for acceleration but I remember the 4XE debut reveal and seeing that Jeep claimed 6.0 seconds 0-60mph which I though is pretty damn good in a big heavy box made for off-roading.

The numbers showed 375 horsepower and 470tq which is just a monster torque number and a lot of it would be instant torque from the electric motors. Sounds like an awesome combo.

My wife recently picked up a 21 Willys unlimited with the 2.0 4cyl turbo and when I drove it I was pretty shocked at how well that motor moves that Jeep. When I looked it up many magazines and independent online sources show that combo doing 0-60mph is about 6.1 - 6.2 seconds.

How is that possible that the 4XE with 105hp more and 175 more tq, instant tq at that only equated to a .2 quicker 0-60 time? Either every source I found is wrong or i'm confused at what is going on there. Is it the extra weight of all the batteries and hardware make the power increase a wash?
Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
The computer doesn’t give you all of that HP and torque at the same time.

DiscoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe
At least on mine, the electric motor doesn't seem to assist acceleration with 100% power in first gear.
After second gear and up the Jeep definitely pulls much harder than it did in first gear which wows me all the time.
You can definitely feel the electric torque pushing the Jeep more when they kick in full power for acceleration.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

That all makes perfect sense guys. Computer is limiting the power thus making the times similar. I'd assume the 4XE is more focused on range and mileage than acceleration anyway. Awesome Jeeps you guys have! Thanks

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Where did you see 6.2 for a Willys? The lowest I saw was 6.7 and Motortrend in their tests estimated 7.5.

And yes the 4xe computer does allow you to have all the power at certain times. I think people don't realize that even a standard gas engine doesn't produce max power and torque all the time, only at certain RPM's. The best acceleration from the 4xe is when the engine is already running. If you're at a stop or a slow roll and the car is moving under only electric power and you stomp it, they'll be a short delay for the engine to start and combine with the motor.

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you see 6.2 for a Willys? The lowest I saw was 6.7 and Motortrend in their tests estimated 7.5.

And yes the 4xe computer does allow you to have all the power at certain times. I think people don't realize that even a standard gas engine doesn't produce max power and torque all the time, only at certain RPM's. The best acceleration from the 4xe is when the engine is already running. If you're at a stop or a slow roll and the car is moving under only electric power and you stomp it, they'll be a short delay for the engine to start and combine with the motor.
Engine running and I also read that putting it in 4 wheel drive Auto helps.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

After I drove her Willys I was curious so I just started google searching the info and random articles would show the various claims. Heres one for example. Although I just noticed this one is a 2 door so the 4 door would be slower. That said I think some of the info I found may be inaccurate because I am looking again now and noticing many sites list the same times of 6.1-6.2 regardless of the 2 door or 4 door and different models. That doesn't seem like it could be right,

Jeep Wrangler JL Confused about 4XE  acceleration times - question for owners RA.PNG

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
Maybe is has something to do with the extra weight from the battery. It has the same torque as the 392 so in theory it should 0-60 just as fast. But it doesn't :), which is why I'm getting the 392

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
After I drove her Willys I was curious so I just started google searching the info and random articles would show the various claims. Heres one for example. Although I just noticed this one is a 2 door so the 4 door would be slower. That said I think some of the info I found may be inaccurate because I am looking again now and noticing many sites list the same times of 6.1-6.2 regardless of the 2 door or 4 door and different models. That doesn't seem like it could be right,

Jeep Wrangler JL Confused about 4XE  acceleration times - question for owners RA.PNG
It's difficult to find solid information. A lot of video reviewers have some "questionable" tests too where they are trying to manage a stop watch on their phone while testing 0-60 times etc. and it's just bad. That's why you see results that are all over the board. Or you see the guy testing the 2.0 turbo but the Jeep already has a lift and 35's.

Here's a good review/test of the 4xe where he shows the dash and timer together and does multiple runs. It's nice to see a regular guy off the street getting the advertised results, repeatedly, without having to result to any trickery.
Sponsored