Conflicted - Buy a JL or keep my WK2

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I need some advice for folks who have gone from a Grand Cherokee to a JKU\ JLU ( those who are planning on purchasing a JLU). I've always wanted a Wrangler and I think the timing is right for me to get one now but I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old and I'm worried that I won't be able to lug all of their necessary cargo in the wrangler and take the top off with them in the car. The GC is pretty loaded too so sometimes I wonder if I'd miss some of the those luxuries. Any of you regret moving from the GC or was it the best decision you made?
Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I was happy when I went from the Overland GC to a 16 Rubicon. But I am someone that has zero issues with minimalist stuff. A JL though, if equipped with enough stuff, will likely have you missing almost nothing from the GC.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I have 4 younger children(2 - 10yrs old.) I was easily able to have them all and my wife in my JK(I added a third row.) My older children loved the JK with the top off. At the time my youngest was only 1, so I made it a point to keep the top on when he was on board. Now that they are all in front facing seats I have zero regrets about getting another Wrangler as a family vehicle. I actually think they are just as excited about getting in it with the top down as I am. My wife has a Nissan Armada that will easily fit all of us, but if you give the kids the choice they would much rather be in the Jeep.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
So here is my story, I had a '14 JKUR, and unloaded it for a '17 WK2 Trailhawk with a 5.7 HEMI. Here is the thing, the WK2 feels like a rental car to me, its not mine, although it eats highway miles like no other it just doesn't suck enough. That is why I am going back to a Wrangler JLUR.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
To me it would depend on 2 things. #1 do you have a second reliable vehicle for road trips, not saying the JLU can't do it but the WK will be much more comfortable with the pack and play strollers and for the babies. #2 how long do you keep vehicles and how often is it just you in the car? If you are driving as a family most of the time you will rarely be in a situation to put the top down and take the doors off because you will have the little ones with you. If you only keep a vehicle a couple of years the kids will never really understand the fun of the Jeep.

If it we're me I would wait. My daughter is 8 and I finally feel comfortable starting to explore some door free driving with her but I would not have wanted to do it much sooner. That is just my personal opinion. At the end of the day it is your money do what works best for you and the family.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Long trips in a wrangler suck. The WK2 drives wonderfully so it's easy to make long drives. I've driven our JK out west from Dallas and our WK2. No comparison. You are beat after hours of highway driving in a wrangler. THe JL will be no exception. It's just not a comfortable vehicle. I love my JK but it sucks for any distance driving.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I was happy when I went from the Overland GC to a 16 Rubicon. But I am someone that has zero issues with minimalist stuff. A JL though, if equipped with enough stuff, will likely have you missing almost nothing from the GC.
. My JLUR build has more options than, my wife's 75th Anniversary Edition GC and hers is awesome! Plenty of room in Wrangler and a as they get older and you put top down, or panels out...... their smile, priceless.

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"18 JLUR Punk'n, '11 JKU Mango tango, '17 JKU Granite crystal, 98 XJ plow jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I have driven both my JK's on long drives and they were great. One is a manual and the other is an auto. I do not miss my GC, I'd take my wrangler over a GC for long drives everyday of the week. My kids grew up with my wranglers and are now buying their own jeeps (yay! lol). the 4 door has as much or more "trunk" space as any other SUV. Young kids love the top down and doors off (rear doors on if still in car seats). Its a lifestyle to drive a wrangler (IMO).

On edit, the JL is bringing much needed modernization to the Wrangler. Cant wait to get mine.

OP
OP
Impy5

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Thanks for the replies and insight, I really appreciate it. My wife has a Tahoe so in terms of a comfortable long hauler, thats covered. I pick my kids up every day from daycare (where most of my money goes) and jaunting around town on the weekends, which is usually the extent of them being in my vehicle. My last two vehicles have been leases but if I were to get a JL I'd buy simply for the fact that the resale is so good and that they don't change much for a decade or so. Can't wait to test drive one so I can make a decision. Thanks again all for your input.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Kids LOVE riding in Jeeps. Real Jeeps. Get the JLU.
Sponsored