Sponsored

Confirmed: Tread Lightly Discount (Affiliate Rewards Program) Applies to 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Who and where and how did it go?
I bought at Central on 44 I Raynam. I went by Station in Mansfield and they allowed less for my trade, plus it is a small run down store. I signed at under 20k plus trade for a loaded Rubi.
Sponsored

SW777

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 2509 Duramax
Hello,

New to the Forum. Is this program still valid. As in I sign up and can still use the affiliate pricing? Saw someone mention something about expiring.

PaulD

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98, 03, 09 &13 Wranglers
Just left my deposit on a JLUR. Invoice -1% as advertised no hassles. All the dealers here in Middle Tennessee were demanding MSRP or more for mandatory BS add-ons like paint protection... Worked with Lacy at Beaman in Murfreesboro TN I would recommend them to anyone near Nashville.

Mfdidier

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@jlwfdealerguy I’m at the dealership and they’re saying that my control number is not popping up in the system. Any suggestions?

Sponsored

Mfdidier

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Update: so I was at the dealership when I asked the question above.

So basically, my dealership tried to tell me that they did not honor the affiliate program and I had to pay MSRP, even after negotiating invoice - 1% when I ordered on 11/8.

It was total BS bait and switch, and they tried to tell me that they could sell it for msrp and they would sell it to the public if I didn’t pay full price.

After 3 hours and showing them the first page of this thread, they finally honored it. Total shit show, but I got the deal.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I've been a member for more than 30 days, all I have to do now is call to get my control # and bring my (membership letter) with me to the dealer? What does the membership letter look like?

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
On the trail :+)
Hello Guys,

I am new to the forum, hopefully, an owner of JL Unlimited Ruby soon :)

Also, I moved to the US for good two years ago and that would be my first ever car purchase here.

I did go to my closest dealership and the person who I happened to speak with was actually the Internet Manager of the dealership. Very nice guy. He knew a lot about Jeeps and it was definitely a nice experience to deal with him, but he tried to convince me that Jeep doesn't have any sales or bonuses on their vehicles and that MSRP is what I would be paying for.

I spent some time afterwards to educate myself on how to read the sales quote and how I can negotiate but still, there are a couple of things which I am uncertain of:

1) The guy was saying I should be looking at the MSRP price and that the FWP what the dealer pays to Jeep and there was no way I can get that price. I see people here talking about getting discounts based on the FWP price and it looks like they are able to actually negotiate that. Can you please explain what exactly the difference is and also give me some tips on how to negotiate in my case?

2) I will be making a custom order, which means the Ruby wouldn't spend much time in the lot, based on this would it be possible to get the holdback into the negotiation?

3) What hidden fees I should be careful of and is there anything particular I could ask to make sure there aren't any?

4) In terms of financing, my credit score is near 800, is there any particular way to negotiate better rates? I know about BUY and SELL rate and I know its a good thing the ask what exactly they are offering. How can I get a better rate?

Any other ideas, suggestions and tips on how to negotiate would be great!

Cheers and thank you very much in advance!

View attachment 14932

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hello Guys,

I am new to the forum, hopefully, an owner of JL Unlimited Ruby soon :)

Also, I moved to the US for good two years ago and that would be my first ever car purchase here.

I did go to my closest dealership and the person who I happened to speak with was actually the Internet Manager of the dealership. Very nice guy. He knew a lot about Jeeps and it was definitely a nice experience to deal with him, but he tried to convince me that Jeep doesn't have any sales or bonuses on their vehicles and that MSRP is what I would be paying for.

I spent some time afterwards to educate myself on how to read the sales quote and how I can negotiate but still, there are a couple of things which I am uncertain of:

1) The guy was saying I should be looking at the MSRP price and that the FWP what the dealer pays to Jeep and there was no way I can get that price. I see people here talking about getting discounts based on the FWP price and it looks like they are able to actually negotiate that. Can you please explain what exactly the difference is and also give me some tips on how to negotiate in my case?

2) I will be making a custom order, which means the Ruby wouldn't spend much time in the lot, based on this would it be possible to get the holdback into the negotiation?

3) What hidden fees I should be careful of and is there anything particular I could ask to make sure there aren't any?

4) In terms of financing, my credit score is near 800, is there any particular way to negotiate better rates? I know about BUY and SELL rate and I know its a good thing the ask what exactly they are offering. How can I get a better rate?

Any other ideas, suggestions and tips on how to negotiate would be great!

Cheers and thank you very much in advance!

View attachment 14932

Hi.Welcome to the US!

Here are some answers to your questions.

These are half-truths. it is true the dealer pays FWP for the Jeep. It is not true that there is no way you can get that price. The best way to negotiate is to take a no-haggle price to the dealer, tell him you want a comparable price or you will go elsewhere. if he doesn't give you a comparable price go elsewhere. There are 2 ways to get a no-haggle price to start with.

One is an affiliate price. You can get this if you have a friend that works for FCA or if your employer is an affiliate. If you don't qualify then you can become a member of tread lightly and you will qualify after 30 days. Then you get 1% below invoice no-haggle. That should be the most you pay. And the dealer gets 2% back from the factory on this so they make money.

Another way is to look the preferred dealers threads and find one near you that will do a published 4%-5% under invoice. That will generally be only on factory orders and will require some travel. But you can take that locked in deal to your dealer and leverage it to do better than 1% off invoice. A word of warning - you will read those threads and star to feel like if you pay more than 5% off invoice then your dealer is screwing you. not true. Not every dealer has the volume and business model to go that low. Even 1% below invoice is a fair aggressive price.

See above. I wouldn't go in negotiating to try and take the hold-back. I would use the approach above. if you do you can get below invoice without trying to figure out where the dealer's profit is.

Get an out-the-door price. This is your selling price + doc fee + Tax/Tag/License. Nothing else. Even if you are interested in trade, financing, mopar options, extended warranties, etc get the out-the-door price first then go from there.

Get a credit union rate before you go in there (just like above - have a no-haggle price in your pocket before you visit the dealership). Then they can either match it or not. If you don't, the dealership can add points to the bank rate to get profit. You will only get their best rate if you have a rate going in.

Also look at the Golden Ticket and BonusDrive threads. You can potentially get an extra $1,000 that way.

Good luck!

Sponsored

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Update: so I was at the dealership when I asked the question above.

So basically, my dealership tried to tell me that they did not honor the affiliate program and I had to pay MSRP, even after negotiating invoice - 1% when I ordered on 11/8.

It was total BS bait and switch, and they tried to tell me that they could sell it for msrp and they would sell it to the public if I didn’t pay full price.

After 3 hours and showing them the first page of this thread, they finally honored it. Total shit show, but I got the deal.
As they should honor it. Game playing places like that make us all look like scumbags. It's unfortunate.

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
On the trail :+)
Hi.Welcome to the US!

Here are some answers to your questions.

These are half-truths. it is true the dealer pays FWP for the Jeep. It is not true that there is no way you can get that price. The best way to negotiate is to take a no-haggle price to the dealer, tell him you want a comparable price or you will go elsewhere. if he doesn't give you a comparable price go elsewhere. There are 2 ways to get a no-haggle price to start with.

One is an affiliate price. You can get this if you have a friend that works for FCA or if your employer is an affiliate. If you don't qualify then you can become a member of tread lightly and you will qualify after 30 days. Then you get 1% below invoice no-haggle. That should be the most you pay. And the dealer gets 2% back from the factory on this so they make money.

Another way is to look the preferred dealers threads and find one near you that will do a published 4%-5% under invoice. That will generally be only on factory orders and will require some travel. But you can take that locked in deal to your dealer and leverage it to do better than 1% off invoice. A word of warning - you will read those threads and star to feel like if you pay more than 5% off invoice then your dealer is screwing you. not true. Not every dealer has the volume and business model to go that low. Even 1% below invoice is a fair aggressive price.

See above. I wouldn't go in negotiating to try and take the hold-back. I would use the approach above. if you do you can get below invoice without trying to figure out where the dealer's profit is.

Get an out-the-door price. This is your selling price + doc fee + Tax/Tag/License. Nothing else. Even if you are interested in trade, financing, mopar options, extended warranties, etc get the out-the-door price first then go from there.

Get a credit union rate before you go in there (just like above - have a no-haggle price in your pocket before you visit the dealership). Then they can either match it or not. If you don't, the dealership can add points to the bank rate to get profit. You will only get their best rate if you have a rate going in.

Also look at the Golden Ticket and BonusDrive threads. You can potentially get an extra $1,000 that way.

Good luck!
ThirtyOne, you are amazing! Thank you very much for everything you shared. Invaluable advice and information, right on the spot!

The last thing I am wondering about is the additional lifetime warranty that the dealers offer at an additional cost. My guess on that one is it is a good thing to have, but I am pretty sure there are some hidden gotchas. What do you think of such sort of warranties? As far as I understand that's a warranty offered as an additional service from the dealer, what happens if the dealer goes out of business for example?

Cheers and thank you once again!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
ThirtyOne, you are amazing! Thank you very much for everything you shared. Invaluable advice and information, right on the spot!

The last thing I am wondering about is the additional lifetime warranty that the dealers offer at an additional cost. My guess on that one is it is a good thing to have, but I am pretty sure there are some hidden gotchas. What do you think of such sort of warranties? As far as I understand that's a warranty offered as an additional service from the dealer, what happens if the dealer goes out of business for example?

Cheers and thank you once again!
I'm not knowledgeable on the warranties. Try the search feature. It has been discussed before.

77ggomez

First Name
Gerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 YJ.
How is it going guys this is Gerson, I've been following the JL page since it's inception and today I just realized I never signed up for the page to post comments haha.

I know this thread is about Tread Lighty discount but I want to ask about affiliates discounts for the JL,
I just came from my dealer and I was told that the company I work for does not count for the new JL, I was ready to place and order but this was a deal breaker. I work for Bank of America and I know we have had affiliate discounts in the past before. Any idea on this? I live in Florida and I'm wondering if that has anything to do? Or any ideas when the other affiliates discounts will apply towards the JL?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How is it going guys this is Gerson, I've been following the JL page since it's inception and today I just realized I never signed up for the page to post comments haha.

I know this thread is about Tread Lighty discount but I want to ask about affiliates discounts for the JL,
I just came from my dealer and I was told that the company I work for does not count for the new JL, I was ready to place and order but this was a deal breaker. I work for Bank of America and I know we have had affiliate discounts in the past before. Any idea on this? I live in Florida and I'm wondering if that has anything to do? Or any ideas when the other affiliates discounts will apply towards the JL?
Tread lightly works just like any other affiliate. It's basically the same program. And it applies to the JL. But the dealer has discretion whether he wants to honor it for the JL.

You can call your HR department and get your affiliate code.

Then find another dealer. Once you get a dealer to honor it you can go back to the first dealer and shove it in his face. Several members have had to do that.
Sponsored