Sponsored

RayDeo

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I am having the wandering steering issue on my 2020 JLUR as well. It wasn't right from the beginning. We test drove 3 JLURs. The one we bought drove the best of the two that had the options I wanted. Naturally, the one that drove the best did not have the options I wanted. As soon as I heard about the TSB I took my JLUR to my local dealer. That was about a month ago. They did an alignment and said it was good to go. I knew as soon as I got up to 40 MPH it was worse than before the alignment. I immediately turned around and took it back. I mentioned the FSB and they were aware of the TSB and would order the part and call me when it came. Today the dealer replaced my steering box with another aluminum box. Now my JLUR drives even worse than before. I showed them the TSB with the part number and the work order from today and guess what. The numbers don't match. Now I have to wait for them to get the correct part in because they didn't read the TSB carefully. Aaaaarrrg! I want to thank the posters who had pics of the old and new steering boxes and the posters who warned about getting the wrong part from the dealer.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I am having the wandering steering issue on my 2020 JLUR as well. It wasn't right from the beginning. We test drove 3 JLURs. The one we bought drove the best of the two that had the options I wanted. Naturally, the one that drove the best did not have the options I wanted. As soon as I heard about the TSB I took my JLUR to my local dealer. That was about a month ago. They did an alignment and said it was good to go. I knew as soon as I got up to 40 MPH it was worse than before the alignment. I immediately turned around and took it back. I mentioned the FSB and they were aware of the TSB and would order the part and call me when it came. Today the dealer replaced my steering box with another aluminum box. Now my JLUR drives even worse than before. I showed them the TSB with the part number and the work order from today and guess what. The numbers don't match. Now I have to wait for them to get the correct part in because they didn't read the TSB carefully. Aaaaarrrg! I want to thank the posters who had pics of the old and new steering boxes and the posters who warned about getting the wrong part from the dealer.
It is happening so often there is a revision to the TSB. See the CAUTION statement attached :facepalm:
Jeep Wrangler JL Confirmed: 2021 Jeep Wranglers have new improved steering gear box (from TSB 08-074-20) 90C198CA-9926-4706-9692-E66A1434B6E4

treyman

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara Black on Black on Black
My 19 Sahara wonders all over the highway at freeway speed and generally pulls left, plenty of play in the wheel. No deathwobble or anything like that. Lifted MC 3.5 and 37s. I have the synergy brace in hand but have not installed it yet plan to this next weekend. Will dealer replace my steering box even with my lift and big tires? anyone done both the TSB and the synergy brace bracket? (Insert mind blown emoji) Also, what does TSB stand for?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
My 19 Sahara wonders all over the highway at freeway speed and generally pulls left, plenty of play in the wheel. No deathwobble or anything like that. Lifted MC 3.5 and 37s. I have the synergy brace in hand but have not installed it yet plan to this next weekend. Will dealer replace my steering box even with my lift and big tires? anyone done both the TSB and the synergy brace bracket? (Insert mind blown emoji) Also, what does TSB stand for?
They should not use your lift as an excuse to deny updating steering gear, however plenty of dealers have. @Redrockjk has installed new gear and Synergy TB Brace and stating works fine. TSB - ā€œTechnical Service Bulletinā€

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
Get the box replaced before installing the brace. One less excuse for the dealer to use. Mine doesn't drive like a Grand Cherokee and never will but it is 1000% better than it was.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
My steering was perfect. I have a 2020 2 door Willys never had problems with it. Until I started driving 3 hours north on the weekends highway speed the whole way.

About an hour and a half into my drive on a hot day I found myself nervously gripping the wheel as tight as I could trying to keep it in the lane at highway speeds. I would drive the 3 hours back home later that night and even though I was driving during night time temps I struggled to keep in the lanes around the curves. Going straight wasnā€™t a problem. So Iā€™m guessing when the steering box starts to soften up in hot weather it takes a good while to stiffen up again.

In fact one time I picked up a friend along the way and when I drove around a curve going only 30 mph I was drifting out of my lane and he asked me what the hell I was doing.

I got lucky one day and drove up in cool weather and my Jeep drove perfectly, no drifting!! It was so fun to relax and enjoy the drive! So then I knew it was the hot weather like so many others here complained about.

Had I not started taking these long trips in the summer I never would have known there was a problem with my steering. The dealership ordered the new steering gear box for me.

Last edited:

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
My wife, who has grown tired of me asking her if the steering on her 2020 Recon is OK, offered to let me drive it out to dinner about 1/2 hour away the other evening, the majority of it way highway speeds. It felt absolutely fine to me. From reading this thread, someone would think that all pre 2021 models have the steering issue. Ours does not.

If the problem only appears after a long drive I guess we will find out in a few weeks. We're planning a 4-day road trip to Nemo Tunnel in TN (about 7 hours away) and a few other places in the area.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I am planning about 1500 miles in the next week or two. So we will see. I would think it would heat up here in Texas.

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I bought mine 2020 JLU sport altitude about a month ago and had the same problem since day one. I did the TSB last week and it now drives perfectly straight with no play in the wheel so I am pretty happy with the result
I have a 2019 Rubicon and there (obviously) is quite a bit of play in the steering. Did you just complain to the dealer and ask them to replace it? I checked and Jeep shows there isn't a recall on this so I'm curious how you got them to fix it as I would like mine replaced as well...

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a 2019 Rubicon and there (obviously) is quite a bit of play in the steering. Did you just complain to the dealer and ask them to replace it? I checked and Jeep shows there isn't a recall on this so I'm curious how you got them to fix it as I would like mine replaced as well...
Hi Joe,
As stated by your fellow forum member, this is a technical service bulletin, not a recall. If you need any assistance while working with your dealer to have this addressed, please feel free to send our tram a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
Hi Joe,
As stated by your fellow forum member, this is a technical service bulletin, not a recall. If you need any assistance while working with your dealer to have this addressed, please feel free to send our tram a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares
Alex thanks for the response. Since day one Iā€™ve felt like it pulls (alignment has been checked twice and itā€™s fine) and there is a least an inch of play, either side, off center. Itā€™s going in tomorrow so hopefully it will be addressed.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I looked at the steering box on my 2021 JLU before I bought it last month to be sure it was black and not aluminum, and it was. So far steering feels fine for a Jeep anyway :)

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
THANKS FOR THE POST you know FCA will never contact us
Getting my new steering box put in today, my warranty is still in the 12 month period.
I bought my jeep as a leftover 2019 in Jan 2020, so after a call to Jeep and a visit to the dealer, the replacement was set for today.
Will post how it goes, by the way, I was looking at the 392 Jeep and one of the things Jeep stated is the steering box is all steel.
Sponsored

Last edited: