First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I would show them the thread of a Jeep tech that actually did it with brace. Matter of fact he actually fixed the sector shaft for the customer by spinning back in place and filling with red loctite. He didnt post that part on here but he did on FB.
Yeah, I saw that but to be honest I have so many mods done I am just happy it's only the brace they want pulled off. That's a 15 min job.
Sponsored

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Scheduled it to be done on friday

Box showed on monday

Took it in on tuesday

They called and said it was missing two bolts

Bolts came in on wednesday

Picked up wednesday afternoon

Thought mine was fine

Was noticeably ... ah ... tighter maybe?

Hard to say as I thought it was ok to began with

Glad I got it done

Bardon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Ok so I have turned wrenches for many years now. I have a 2018 JL and I installed a Teraflex 2.5 lift with fixed long lower control arms and Falcon Shocks. I went ahead and replaced the front UCA's and rear lower and upper CA's. All adjustable. Also I installed 35inch Goodyear Dura Trac tires I got the rear measurements spot on with caster. The front I was a little over at 7.5. So i had an alignment done and they adjusted the caster back to 6.0 degrees and set the toe to 0. Before those adjustments the jeep would track straight down the road. I know at 7.5 negative anything would. Now that it's back in spec I am having a little wondering issue. My experience tells me them setting the toe to 0 could be the cause because the tires go positive toe when driven down the road and fight each other to the right or left. So my plan is to take it back to the shop that did the alignment and get them to adjust to toe just a little negative so when driven down the road the tires straighten out.

The point I am getting to is with everything that has happened to these jeeps coming off the assembly line that I have read on this forum at some point, like loose nuts, bolts, wiring, and fuses. You think the alignments on some of our jeeps are playing a part in this issue? I never had this issue until I lifted it and did an alignment. So in my case it more than likely is an alignment issue.

Just some food for thought.

MFA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wranger
Are you guys experiencing long lead time for the dealer to install. I took it to the dealer two weeks ago, evaluated and said that they will do the update for me. They needed to order the Steering Box. Called them yesterday, said that Jeep is limiting the quantity the dealer can order to one unit per 5-6 weeks. This means I cannot get mine updated till mid November based on my place in the queue. Does this make sense?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Are you guys experiencing long lead time for the dealer to install. I took it to the dealer two weeks ago, evaluated and said that they will do the update for me. They needed to order the Steering Box. Called them yesterday, said that Jeep is limiting the quantity the dealer can order to one unit per 5-6 weeks. This means I cannot get mine updated till mid November based on my place in the queue. Does this make sense?
I’ve read that dealers can order one every two weeks. Some have better luck.

In case you haven’t seen it: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/new-jl-steering-issue-tsb-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel/

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Ok so I have turned wrenches for many years now. I have a 2018 JL and I installed a Teraflex 2.5 lift with fixed long lower control arms and Falcon Shocks. I went ahead and replaced the front UCA's and rear lower and upper CA's. All adjustable. Also I installed 35inch Goodyear Dura Trac tires I got the rear measurements spot on with caster. The front I was a little over at 7.5. So i had an alignment done and they adjusted the caster back to 6.0 degrees and set the toe to 0. Before those adjustments the jeep would track straight down the road. I know at 7.5 negative anything would. Now that it's back in spec I am having a little wondering issue. My experience tells me them setting the toe to 0 could be the cause because the tires go positive toe when driven down the road and fight each other to the right or left. So my plan is to take it back to the shop that did the alignment and get them to adjust to toe just a little negative so when driven down the road the tires straighten out.

The point I am getting to is with everything that has happened to these jeeps coming off the assembly line that I have read on this forum at some point, like loose nuts, bolts, wiring, and fuses. You think the alignments on some of our jeeps are playing a part in this issue? I never had this issue until I lifted it and did an alignment. So in my case it more than likely is an alignment issue.

Just some food for thought.
If they adjusted your caster back to “spec” that is likely your issue. 6-7 degrees is the sweet spot. You also want a 1/4” or so toe in.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
also I like how they got rid of the. " euro " guards between the bumper and fender. . Will save the new owner a little bit of cutting. .
Re: Lack of "euro guards" on 2021 Willys.
Does anyone know if this is also true of the Willys Sport version?

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door

kjhunter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara
I just picked up my new 2021 Wrangler Unlimited. I am extremely disappointed with the steering. It tracks dead straight, but there is a tremendous amount of play in the steering. By the time I go to make a small correction if drifting to the right or left it feels like I’ve turned the wheel 4 inches to make a correction and then have to recorrect the other way. Like it is on a rubber band. Very Unhappy and completely fatigued after a 3 hour drive home from the dealer.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
My 2020 Recon with a build date 6/20 has the new Steering Gear Box, and the steering feel is great.

It would be interesting to see when the new steering gear went onto the assembly line?

-Steven
My 2020 JLUR with a build date of 6/20 has the Al one. Steering feels good at under 1K. Will see what spring brings after a couple trips to colorado.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I just picked up my new 2021 Wrangler Unlimited. I am extremely disappointed with the steering. It tracks dead straight, but there is a tremendous amount of play in the steering. By the time I go to make a small correction if drifting to the right or left it feels like I’ve turned the wheel 4 inches to make a correction and then have to recorrect the other way. Like it is on a rubber band. Very Unhappy and completely fatigued after a 3 hour drive home from the dealer.
Damn. I’m sorry to hear that.

Do you have the new steering box (it will be black instead of aluminum). Other things to check is tire pressure because the tires are over-inflated for delivery and dealers rarely set them properly.

The alignment could be off. Both my JLs had the toe way off. The dealer should check that and the components for proper tightness.

You can contact @JeepCares to help you with the dealer.

kjhunter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara
Damn. I’m sorry to hear that.

Do you have the new steering box (it will be black instead of aluminum). Other things to check is tire pressure because the tires are over-inflated for delivery and dealers rarely set them properly.

The alignment could be off. Both my JLs had the toe way off. The dealer should check that and the components for proper tightness.

You can contact @JeepCares to help you with the dealer.
It’s too dark and pouring rain out here in PA, but I will look at steering box in the morning and post. Thanks for tip on the tires. I’ll see where this goes. Thanks

Lioska

First Name
Alioscha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
This is how mine has been since leaving the lot. I've noticed in the mornings it feels tighter but once the sun is up and temps start increasing the play also increases. I just had mine in for service this morning because it also was pulling to the right. They found it "out of spec" and did an alignment but did not move forward with the TSB. Prior to the alignment it loved pulling right and I had to hold the wheel to the left to drive straight, now after the alignment it wanders more in either direction.

Can easily see-saw the wheel and keep driving straight lol.
I bought mine 2020 JLU sport altitude about a month ago and had the same problem since day one. I did the TSB last week and it now drives perfectly straight with no play in the wheel so I am pretty happy with the result

MFA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wranger
I was in a similar situation. Took the Jeep in about a month ago, was approved for the SB, but was told the parts were allocated on a limited basis and my turn will be in mid November. I got a call from them Friday (9/25) said parts were in, they had to keep it over the weekend and picked it up yesterday. It made a significant difference (however, do not expect it to steer like a sport car).
Sponsored