First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Any dealer that says that your Jeep steering isn’t bad enough for the TSB, or says they need to charge you for diagnosis, have them read the last sentence on the first page of the TSB and then explain to you again why there’s a problem.

“If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.”
Sponsored

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have the part number for the new steering box?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
My steering feels good on my new 2020 Sport. Do you think I'm ok waiting until I have an issue or at least waiting until further into the warranty period to have this swapped? Maybe when not as many people are hitting the dealerships at the same time they will be more amenable to doing the TSB?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
no harm in waiting, i would go on record with your dealer that you want it done sometime after the rush is over

Sponsored

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
Jeep dealer tech here. . Just did PDI on a new 2021 Willys. New box is indeed in place here in Colorado. also I like how they got rid of the. " euro " guards between the bumper and fender. . Will save the new owner a little bit of cutting. .

roathd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Mine feels a little dead on center and follows road crown a lot. That said it generally tracks well and does not wander. Feb 2020 build. Not sure if a new box would help. I have the synergy track bar/steering brace. Jeep dealers are such a pathetic pain in the a**...not sure if it worth the effort to address.
Mine is all stock with 33 inch wheels.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Edit: the new steering box is black painted steel; the old steering box is aluminum.
I really don't know, but I doubt if the new steering boxes are steel. I would guess cast iron.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
So is this TSB an automatic upgrade if I ask or is this where the dealer is going to say my steering is fine the way it is.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
you have to ask for it.
Per the TSB they are supposed to run a diagnostic to see if anything other than the steering box is bad. If everything comes back normal, they are required to change the steering box to the new AA series one.

Your complaint needs to be wandering , loose or pulling steering. If you are NOT experiencing these issues than you may not need the upgrade.

Some dealers are being a pain in the rear and making excuses not to do this, or claiming its subjective to them driving the car and deciding if there is a problem.
It is NOT up to them.

Read past posts on other threads for better info

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yep, and they get PAID to do it. It isn't like they are doing anyone a favor. They have no downside to warranty work.
FCA pays dealers a lower pre-established fixed cost to perform warranty work. A dealer can make more money with the same tech if they were working on a non-warranty repair. Basically warranty work can be a lost opportunity for more profit if the dealer is backed up with non-warranty work. Does not matter if the shop is not backed up with work though.

Smart shops would train a apprentice to perform only easy recalls to free up a experienced tech. An example is the steering stabilizer recall. Train a guy properly to do that all day. No diagnosing and basically repetitive assembly work.

Last edited:

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

See post #1 in this thread.
Part number may have recently changed... I (literally) just returned from my second dealership to see if they will correct the issue. They informed me the Service Bulletin has been updated with a new part number for the steering box. Can't confirm, I was trying to see the update behind the COVID plexiglass and was not successful. Service said something about the new part number might be due to a new manufacturer... Sorry if this was discussed earlier.

recartier

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep sport
Ah, thank you, I fully understand now.
I found that it gets worse at higher ambient temperatures. In my case it was a hot day when the dealer did a test drive for the TSB and noted the steering wander and pull to the right.. They Ordered the new Steering box per the TSB .. :)

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i reiterate the test the dealer is supposed to do is NOT a driving review...it’s a diagnostic of other system to make sure there’s not a problem with any other related system.
They have no business even asking to test drive your Jeep.
Tell them to read the TSB and follow it exactly.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine went in this morning for both the steering box TSB and to put Rock Krawler spring pads on the front. My Mopar lift driver side spring pad has deformed and allowed the spring to start bowing to the point it is close to contacting the bump stop. Not there yet, but close.

Anyway, I'll post up on the steering box when I get her back this afternoon.
Sponsored