litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I had the TSB done last week and it's now worse than it was before. They replaced the aluminum steering box with the right cast iron one and flashed the computer with the new program. It's almost dangerous to drive in the wind.
Odd. Just got mine back, hit the highway and cross winds and it tracks much better than before.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
I sure hope the new box fixes mine, it's the worst driving jeep in the fleet. Get that fixed then I can move on to the steering system overheating issue. Ugh.

Oilslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
I picked mine up today, it's much better with new cast iron China steering box. I'd say it went from 2" slop to 1". Its still not perfect but not too bad, I honestly think a better track bar and bushing's and it would be great. I'll get to that when its out of warranty next year. I highly recommend getting it done, my jeep wasn't horrible before, so I think someone with total slushbox steering will think its night and day better!

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I picked mine up today, it's much better with new cast iron China steering box. I'd say it went from 2" slop to 1". Its still not perfect but not too bad, I honestly think a better track bar and bushing's and it would be great. I'll get to that when its out of warranty next year. I highly recommend getting it done, my jeep wasn't horrible before, so I think someone with total slushbox steering will think its night and day better!
This is the first I've heard of JLs overheating. Used to be an issue with some JKs. I had a buddy put a small trans cooler on it, IIRC.

Sponsored

BigOrangeCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Could be a possibility as the TSB mentions this tends to be a symptom during higher than average temperatures.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon

virginia_is_for_rubis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just had the TSB performed by Koons CDJR in Tyson’s VA. Man, what a night and day difference. I had a Falcon stabilizer, Yeti trackbar, and Synergy brace and they performed the TSB no questions asked. Super tight steering now, no more deadspot!

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was denied the fix from dealer due to my suspension and tire modifications (a lift kit and 35” tires). I reached out to Jeep Cares to see what can be done. Anyone else get denied like this?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Just had the TSB performed by Koons CDJR in Tyson’s VA. Man, what a night and day difference. I had a Falcon stabilizer, Yeti trackbar, and Synergy brace and they performed the TSB no questions asked. Super tight steering now, no more deadspot!

i have the exact same setup !
each part was added to try to improve the steering and overall these band aids did help, I still wanted to get it 100%
so I has the upgrade done which really made a difference

When they finished they reinstalled the
synergy brace for me. It was funny as they had never seen or heard of the brace before and were kind of freaked out about it when i told them to remove it for the TSB. I had to crawl under the Jeep with him and explain the brace to him.
Personally i would not have cared if they left off the actual brace part and just left the frame bracket which is really solid to attach the track bar to. The brace is kind of lame and they are having issues with it now.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Could be a possibility as the TSB mentions this tends to be a symptom during higher than average temperatures.
that is exactly the issue and if you follow the past threads on the topic going back over 2 years you will find posts on how many of us with problems told FCA this was the issue years ago.
They will avoid a recall at all costs since if you look at the cost it would be over $250,000,000. This is based on a past post that showed 2018-2020 jeep production of 500,000 vehicles and the part is maybe 300.00 and jeep allows 1.9 labor hours at $110.00 per hour Average cost per jeep is $500.00
By just paying $500 for the repair on the small percentage that complain they are way ahead.
PLUS....doing a recall admits to a safety problem which beside being bad press it opens up the door to legal issues and class action suits that they certainly want to avoid.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
i have the exact same setup !
each part was added to try to improve the steering and overall these band aids did help, I still wanted to get it 100%
so I has the upgrade done which really made a difference

When they finished they reinstalled the
synergy brace for me. It was funny as they had never seen or heard of the brace before and were kind of freaked out about it when i told them to remove it for the TSB. I had to crawl under the Jeep with him and explain the brace to him.
Personally i would not have cared if they left off the actual brace part and just left the frame bracket which is really solid to attach the track bar to. The brace is kind of lame and they are having issues with it now.
Tell them not to bother any longer with putting it back on. You'll want your first drive without any bandaid, to see how the box performs on its own.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tell them not to bother any longer with putting it back on. You'll want your first drive without any bandaid, to see how the box performs on its own.
they put it back on anyway even though i told them they can leave it off. it’s simple enough to remove myself, just 3 screws. Plus i think synergy is going to revise it anyway for better grease displacement.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
they put it back on anyway even though i told them they can leave it off. it’s simple enough to remove myself, just 3 screws. Plus i think synergy is going to revise it anyway for better grease displacement.
I'm hoping the new box straightens you out, and allows you to move on to deciding to either chop the brace ears off or replace the synergy version with a straightforward track bar reinforcement. :fingerscrossed:

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
When I first got my JL in September of '18, it wandered the road a lot. My wife would not even drive it because it made her uncomfortable.

In April of '19 I got new wheels, KO2s, and the issue seemed to go away (or more likely was masked by the wider tires).

On a hot summer day in South Florida it is a little more "loose" I would say, and requires more consistent correction, but it's still way better than new on stock tires.

So I do believe heat just exaggerates the issue.
Sponsored