Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Well, losing an hour of labor at what they charge evens it out with independent shops. I don't feel sorry for them. They could survive and even do well on warranty work alone. Owning a Jeep franchise is a ticket to rich. My dealer just sold to another for quite a handsome sum. Not sure the exact price, but it was described as "substantial." They are a very lucrative business with the exception of very few cases.
sure don’t disagree with you on that.
Since most dealers will probably never have to do more than 50 of these it’s a total of about $5,000 they would be out. Keeping customers satisfied is worth more than that !
They sure don’t pay the tech 100 an hour but they are looking at loss of fully billable hours.

If it was me I’d train a apprentice tech or like a B tech that get paid less than a full mechanic to be my dealership expert. Have a master tech review at the end. That would help level out the cost.

Advertisement

av8or

First Name
Randall
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Any dealer that says that your Jeep steering isn’t bad enough for the TSB, or says they need to charge you for diagnosis, have them read the last sentence on the first page of the TSB and then explain to you again why there’s a problem.

“If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.”

AnebuR

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have the part number for the new steering box?

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Anyone know if the "new" box is the same as the old JK steel box?

Also, someone on page 1 mentioned FCA was going back to cast steel knuckles instead of the aluminum ones. Any confirmation? Haven't read all 8 pages yet.

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
My steering feels good on my new 2020 Sport. Do you think I'm ok waiting until I have an issue or at least waiting until further into the warranty period to have this swapped? Maybe when not as many people are hitting the dealerships at the same time they will be more amenable to doing the TSB?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
no harm in waiting, i would go on record with your dealer that you want it done sometime after the rush is over

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
Jeep dealer tech here. . Just did PDI on a new 2021 Willys. New box is indeed in place here in Colorado. also I like how they got rid of the. " euro " guards between the bumper and fender. . Will save the new owner a little bit of cutting. .

roathd

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Mine feels a little dead on center and follows road crown a lot. That said it generally tracks well and does not wander. Feb 2020 build. Not sure if a new box would help. I have the synergy track bar/steering brace. Jeep dealers are such a pathetic pain in the a**...not sure if it worth the effort to address.
Mine is all stock with 33 inch wheels.

Abramovich

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
Edit: the new steering box is black painted steel; the old steering box is aluminum.
I really don't know, but I doubt if the new steering boxes are steel. I would guess cast iron.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I really don't know, but I doubt if the new steering boxes are steel. I would guess cast iron.
Yeah...cast steel is usually pretty pricey. In the world of knuckles..the only one doing it was Crane last I heard...but it sure was nice to be able to weld directly to them and not have to preheat or worry about cracks.

I wonder if this new rumor about Jeep going back to cast iron knuckles will prove out...and how that will affect Dynatrac's assertion that the new wonder knuckles (aluminum) they are putting on their overpriced wares is the bee's knees. If true, that would put a nail in that coffin, but it wouldn't surprise me either. Campbell Ent. proved aluminum housings were a bad idea way back when in one of the first KoHs when he cracked one in half.

This article confirms the Mojave JT gets the cast iron knuckles:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/vehicle-reviews/jeep-gladiator-mojave-first-drive/

Last edited:

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
So is this TSB an automatic upgrade if I ask or is this where the dealer is going to say my steering is fine the way it is.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
you have to ask for it.
Per the TSB they are supposed to run a diagnostic to see if anything other than the steering box is bad. If everything comes back normal, they are required to change the steering box to the new AA series one.

Your complaint needs to be wandering , loose or pulling steering. If you are NOT experiencing these issues than you may not need the upgrade.

Some dealers are being a pain in the rear and making excuses not to do this, or claiming its subjective to them driving the car and deciding if there is a problem.
It is NOT up to them.

Read past posts on other threads for better info

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
Yep, and they get PAID to do it. It isn't like they are doing anyone a favor. They have no downside to warranty work.
FCA pays dealers a lower pre-established fixed cost to perform warranty work. A dealer can make more money with the same tech if they were working on a non-warranty repair. Basically warranty work can be a lost opportunity for more profit if the dealer is backed up with non-warranty work. Does not matter if the shop is not backed up with work though.

Smart shops would train a apprentice to perform only easy recalls to free up a experienced tech. An example is the steering stabilizer recall. Train a guy properly to do that all day. No diagnosing and basically repetitive assembly work.

Last edited:

Dr. RGB

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Website
www.readingecs.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys in HELLAYELLA
Occupation
Assistant Professor and Licensed Professional Counselor
See post #1 in this thread.
Part number may have recently changed... I (literally) just returned from my second dealership to see if they will correct the issue. They informed me the Service Bulletin has been updated with a new part number for the steering box. Can't confirm, I was trying to see the update behind the COVID plexiglass and was not successful. Service said something about the new part number might be due to a new manufacturer... Sorry if this was discussed earlier.

Advertisement

Teraflex

Advertisement