Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
i would think a recall would happen. Think about how much documentation of the problem is on the web and forums like these. Them making a change shows they acknowledged the issue. It would actually be a larger lawsuit the longer they wait i think.
Agree! However, keep in mind it not every JL that has the wonky steering.

I've been wondering about manufacturing specs on the steering gear box...why so much/any variance? Is this like the early front axles with bad track bar welds? Maybe time will tell.

-Steven
Sponsored

STUD

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Impreza
Does this make the Synergy Jeep JL / JLU / JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace unnecessary?

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Does this make the Synergy Jeep JL / JLU / JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace unnecessary?
Really good question! I think a good/better aftermarket trackbar will do wonders.

Interested in hearing others opinions/experience on this.

-Steven

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, my Jeep drives just fine. Being a member of this forum has made me paranoid so I'm always checking it, but I've never had a complaint or noticed anything funny with the steering.

My other car is a Jaguar XK, so, sure if I hop out of that and into the Jeep there is a noticeable difference, but really I have zero complaints about my Jeep so far (except how stupidly difficult it is to engage 4WD...) ;-)

Myron
My exact experiences too. 1 yr and 5 months, absolutely no issue with steering so far. Engaging 4wd is incredibly hard.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
i would think a recall would happen. Think about how much documentation of the problem is on the web and forums like these. Them making a change shows they acknowledged the issue. It would actually be a larger lawsuit the longer they wait i think.
It's not a safety thing right now so there's no way FCA would voluntarily recall anything - it would cost an absolute fortune to fund all those parts and labor. If they make it a TSB they give the dissatisfied owners a free means of fixing the issue without the negative press and the massive cost/logistics of a formal recall.

Just because it might be the right thing to do doesn't mean it makes financial sense for them to do it. A TSB is 90% of the solution to placate dissatisfied owners. The other 10% is parts and labor availability and competent dealerships to go fix it in a reasonable timeframe.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Honestly, my Jeep drives just fine. Being a member of this forum has made me paranoid so I'm always checking it, but I've never had a complaint or noticed anything funny with the steering.

My other car is a Jaguar XK, so, sure if I hop out of that and into the Jeep there is a noticeable difference, but really I have zero complaints about my Jeep so far (except how stupidly difficult it is to engage 4WD...) ;-)

Myron

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
My question would be if this steering box is coming standard in jeeps now, why not recall? Is it possibly going to take some large accidents to trace back to the steering box being the cause, or would it be swept under the rug? Makes me want to see if there are any accidents in the past year due to faulty steering.
Update- from awhile back:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/2384252001
And:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...tsa-jeep-wrangler-steering-shimmy-complaints/
And:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/JEEP/WRANGLER
A plain language summary of when a recall, which can be voluntary on the part of the manufacturer or mandated by NHTSA, is needed.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.d.../14218-mvsdefectsandrecalls_041619-v2-tag.pdf

Generally the decision to take a design improvement and cut in to forward production is not sufficient reason to recall. Gotta watch the accidents records from both a failure analysis and statistical perspective before a recall will happen.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
How much would one of these new steering boxes cost if one wanted to upgrade to the new one their own? would it be worth it?

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
How much would one of these new steering boxes cost if one wanted to upgrade to the new one their own? would it be worth it?
I was told that you can buy it from the dealership for around $600, but that's not paying for the labor or them updating the ECM(vehicle computer) with the new steering box.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to sound like a rich, entitled Jag-owning dick up there. I am anything but, and I will say if you ever want to become paranoid about all the things that *could* go wrong with your car, buy a second hand Jaguar and join one of the Jaguar forums. :)
I didn't take it like that. Not in the slightest bit.

Every time i drive my wife's car, I'm all over the road like a drunk because of her tight and sporty steering and being able to stop on a dime with only slight pressure and minimal pedal travel nearly puts me through the windshield.

The Jeep is a while different animal. It's why we love them and buy them so many things.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sorry to sound like a rich, entitled Jag-owning dick up there. I am anything but, and I will say if you ever want to become paranoid about all the things that *could* go wrong with your car, buy a second hand Jaguar and join one of the Jaguar forums. :)
Had a secondhand BMW 745Li and can attest to the horror of trying to keep it roadworthy. Going on long drives where it can be 200+ miles between anything civilized can be downright horrifying. Got so bad on a trip to Las Vegas where we thought we wouldn't make it back home, ended up trading it in in Vegas and had the best drive home ever! Wasn't the Jag-owner club, but the BMW out-of-warranty club is just about as bad :(

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

It was pretty much snake oil to began with...Yet with not much more than a strong recommendation from a local 4x4 shop that specializes in Jeeps, I fell for it just long enough to order and install it before removing it...During the install I really starting thinking about it's overall design and how flawed it was, when I could not grease the bushing (bronze bushing not aligned from Synergy) I had enough and off it came...

EDIT: A good trackbar / frame support only is not a bad idea and gives extra peace of mind when wheeling hard with larger than stock tires. I have the Rancho support and very happy with it. Steer Smarts, Rusty's and others also make good trackbar / frame supports.
For those who have the Synergy brace, they can cut off the sector shaft support 'ears', paint and use just as a trackbar / frame support. I would however leave out the bottom low profile bolt that goes on the inside of the OEM trackbar support-it interferes with a lot of aftermarket trackbars and is not needed nor included in other designs.

Last edited:

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Had a secondhand BMW 745Li and can attest to the horror of trying to keep it roadworthy. Going on long drives where it can be 200+ miles between anything civilized can be downright horrifying. Got so bad on a trip to Las Vegas where we thought we wouldn't make it back home, ended up trading it in in Vegas and had the best drive home ever! Wasn't the Jag-owner club, but the BMW out-of-warranty club is just about as bad :(
used 7-series and Audi A8, cheap to buy, expensive to own.

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Check this video out:
This is how mine has been since leaving the lot. I've noticed in the mornings it feels tighter but once the sun is up and temps start increasing the play also increases. I just had mine in for service this morning because it also was pulling to the right. They found it "out of spec" and did an alignment but did not move forward with the TSB. Prior to the alignment it loved pulling right and I had to hold the wheel to the left to drive straight, now after the alignment it wanders more in either direction.

Can easily see-saw the wheel and keep driving straight lol.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
My question would be if this steering box is coming standard in jeeps now, why not recall? Is it possibly going to take some large accidents to trace back to the steering box being the cause, or would it be swept under the rug? Makes me want to see if there are any accidents in the past year due to faulty steering.
Update- from awhile back:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/2384252001
And:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...tsa-jeep-wrangler-steering-shimmy-complaints/
And:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/JEEP/WRANGLER
My thoughts exactly. I paid top-dollar for my 2019 Rubicon. Jeep better not leave me out here in the wilderness, no pun intended.
Sponsored