First Name
Jonathan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Was out checking out some car lots today. Found three 2021 JLs (both 2 door and 4 door) and can confirm they all have the new steering box from the factory:
902330B5-8949-4137-8374-6307E27674CF.jpeg
My question would be if this steering box is coming standard in jeeps now, why not recall? Is it possibly going to take some large accidents to trace back to the steering box being the cause, or would it be swept under the rug? Makes me want to see if there are any accidents in the past year due to faulty steering.
Update- from awhile back:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/2384252001
And:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...tsa-jeep-wrangler-steering-shimmy-complaints/
And:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/JEEP/WRANGLER

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Was out checking out some car lots today. Found three 2021 JLs (both 2 door and 4 door) and can confirm they all have the new steering box from the factory:
902330B5-8949-4137-8374-6307E27674CF.jpeg
Very interesting, so maybe my bad steering on my 2018 JL wasn’t a Jeep Thing ....... or was it? I’m really confused now and probably won’t sleep tonight.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: the new steering box is black painted steel; the old steering box is aluminum.

New JL/JT steering box
1598888388016.jpeg

Old JL/JT steering box
1598888364506.jpeg

Sorry I had it backwards before. Apologies for the edit.

Last edited:

BigGreen

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
This unit is steel, correct?
I'm having a hard time understanding how a weaker material can cause the issues I get. I'll get occasional rubberband steering, where it starts wandering to the left, corrective inputs don't do much until it seems like I should be lurching into the right lane. Then other times its completely fine. Do we know if the aluminum steering box is overheating?

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
My 2020 Recon with a build date 6/20 has the new Steering Gear Box, and the steering feel is great.

It would be interesting to see when the new steering gear went onto the assembly line?

-Steven

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the TSB, apparently production of new steering boxes are a trickle. Dealers are getting one each time.

The steering on my JL is okay. I’m just going to wait for the recall notification to come in the mail.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having a hard time understanding how a weaker material can cause the issues I get. I'll get occasional rubberband steering, where it starts wandering to the left, corrective inputs don't do much until it seems like I should be lurching into the right lane. Then other times its completely fine. Do we know if the aluminum steering box is overheating?
Yes, the new steering box is steel.

Wonder if aluminum was too weak.

WilderJL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My 2020 Recon with a build date 6/20 has the new Steering Gear Box, and the steering feel is great.

It would be interesting to see when the new steering gear went onto the assembly line?

-Steven
If your Steering Box is black, you have the new one. My 2020 is in right now getting the silver aluminum one replaced with the black steel one under the TSB this morning.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Audi S4, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring

-Steven
My 2/20 build date Recon is the old box. That being said, with Mopar LCA’s and tire pressure at 36-37 psi feels great

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Mazda3 hatch, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, the new steering box is steel.

Wonder if aluminum was too weak.
Could be that the internals are steel and therefore the difference in the coefficients of thermal expansion between steel and aluminum could have caused looseness in the original assembly. Aluminum expands more with temperature than steels.

I can't tell if my steering is loose or it's just how SFA vehicles are.

Advertisement

WheelsASAP

Advertisement