Confirmation on wheel specs before ordering

68jcode

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I have searched and read enough threads to confuse myself and I don't want to make a mistake with ordering wheels, so thank you for your help in advance! My daughter has a 2021 JLUS (built after June 2021) and we purchased a 2022 JLUR Extreme Recon suspension takeoff from another member and getting ready to install as soon as she gets her wheels and tires. She has settled on XD Rockstar III wheels in 17" and plan to go with 35" BFG K02's. A few questions:

1. What offset and or backspacing should we order the wheels in to keep the amount of wheel poke looking like say a factory Rubicon? She will not be using the extreme recon fender extensions and she will retain her JLUS fenders for some time.
  2. I don't think the XD Rockstar III wheels are hub centric. Can someone confirm that if they are not, will she need a hub centric adapter? If so, could you provide a link?
  3. For tires, I am finding two versions of the BFG KO2 tires, one that is shown as "35" - 315/70R17" and another shown as "35x12.50R17". They are both priced slightly differently, so there must be a distinction. Which one is the right/better tire for her?
Thanks again!
Sponsored

Jtwade1987

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited High Tide
I have searched and read enough threads to confuse myself and I don't want to make a mistake with ordering wheels, so thank you for your help in advance! My daughter has a 2021 JLUS (built after June 2021) and we purchased a 2022 JLUR Extreme Recon suspension takeoff from another member and getting ready to install as soon as she gets her wheels and tires. She has settled on XD Rockstar III wheels in 17" and plan to go with 35" BFG K02's. A few questions:

1. What offset and or backspacing should we order the wheels in to keep the amount of wheel poke looking like say a factory Rubicon? She will not be using the extreme recon fender extensions and she will retain her JLUS fenders for some time.
  2. I don't think the XD Rockstar III wheels are hub centric. Can someone confirm that if they are not, will she need a hub centric adapter? If so, could you provide a link?
  3. For tires, I am finding two versions of the BFG KO2 tires, one that is shown as "35" - 315/70R17" and another shown as "35x12.50R17". They are both priced slightly differently, so there must be a distinction. Which one is the right/better tire for her?
Thanks again!
For the tire comparison, I use this website https://tiresize.com/comparison/. You'll see that the tires are very similar. The 315/70R17 is actually 34.4 inches high, 12.4 inches wide and has a 8.4 inch side wall. These are the tires that come with the XR package. So as far as which one is better, flip a coin. If cost is a factor, go with the cheaper option.

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 4xe JLU
OP
OP
68jcode

68jcode

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Thanks to Chocolate Thunder who posted this:
https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ You can visualize the suspension effect of wider tires.
looks like rockstar 2 is available 35, 10 or -12 offset, JLUS is 44 offset, so to account for tires ~50mm wider you will need a reduction at least 25mm, dont forget - is further from vehicle
315 appears to be slightly wider and 35 slightly taller...here is the debate
That's quite a site, I will need to spend some time to figure out how to use it I guess to select the right wheel specs. What are most people using for wheel specs on a JLUS with 35" tires?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
That's quite a site, I will need to spend some time to figure out how to use it I guess to select the right wheel specs. What are most people using for wheel specs on a JLUS with 35" tires?
Assuming that particular wheel is a 17x9, I'd lean towards the +10mm offset out of the 3 offsets listed above. A non Rubicon has 1.5" narrower axles than a Rubicon, so the same tire and wheel will be .75" further in. Also, the new wider wheel and tires will run closer to the frame and suspension bits if you stay too close to the +44.45mm factory offset, resulting in loss of tire clearance when turning. The +35mm offset will probably cause clearance issues and the -12mm will probably pull the wheel and tire further outward than needed. That leaves the +10mm, which should keep tire poke to a minimum, but not negatively affect turning clearance.

Check out tiresize.com and in the main menu choose more size tools and than wheel offset calculator. Simply enter the factory tire size and offset, which is rounded to +45mm, and 315/70-17 and +10mm for the new size. It'll list all of the dimensional changes and provide a great visual comparison.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot to mention that a 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2 will be of a load rating C. A 35x12.5 will be either D or E (can't quite remember which). C's will feel a tad less stiff than D's and especially E's. Factory Rubicons come from the factory with C's.

OP
OP
68jcode

68jcode

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I forgot to mention that a 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2 will be of a load rating C. A 35x12.5 will be either D or E (can't quite remember which). C's will feel a tad less stiff than D's and especially E's. Factory Rubicons come from the factory with C's.
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. Will look at the visual on tiresize.com as you suggested, that should prove helpful.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Are these the wheels your looking at? https://www.xdwheels.com/product/wheels/xd827-rockstar-iii/
If so, it looks like they only come in 17x9 -12 in our bolt pattern. With that offset and a 35x12.5 or 315/70 tire, the setup will extend approximately 3 inches past the fender. Youā€™ll also need a hub centric ring since our hub bore is 71.55mm.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Just for reference her is a -18 on a JLUS. You want to stay in the positive offset if you donā€™t want the tires sticking out. Anything around +6 and below that youā€™ll start to get some poke.

8D28D3C8-1CBB-4CCD-A8A5-61445A3E2D66.jpeg

1D27E876-6875-42CC-8DE0-FC112549551A.jpeg

BD00CB2A-7ACA-48B6-AD1C-F53F7ADF1D38.jpeg

C129DE8B-FA74-4EAF-B4D8-EB564D66E362.jpeg

OP
OP
68jcode

68jcode

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Are these the wheels your looking at? https://www.xdwheels.com/product/wheels/xd827-rockstar-iii/
If so, it looks like they only come in 17x9 -12 in our bolt pattern. With that offset and a 35x12.5 or 315/70 tire, the setup will extend approximately 3 inches past the fender. Youā€™ll also need a hub centric ring since our hub bore is 71.55mm.
yes, those are the wheels she wants, I will have to show her how much they will poke. For me, thatā€™s more than I would want. If she wants to still go forward with them, are there different sizes of hub centric rings? Iā€™m not familiar with them. Will do some research.

Sponsored

OP
OP
68jcode

68jcode

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Just for reference her is a -18 on a JLUS. You want to stay in the positive offset if you donā€™t want the tires sticking out. Anything around +6 and below that youā€™ll start to get some poke.
thanks for the pics, that is helpful. So hers would poke less than that, but would be a couple of inches beyond the fender lip Iā€™m guessing.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
thanks for the pics, that is helpful. So hers would poke less than that, but would be a couple of inches beyond the fender lip Iā€™m guessing.
Yes. With a -12 youā€™ll be about 1/2 inch less poke than what I have.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
yes, those are the wheels she wants, I will have to show her how much they will poke. For me, thatā€™s more than I would want. If she wants to still go forward with them, are there different sizes of hub centric rings? Iā€™m not familiar with them. Will do some research.
You would need a 71.5mm to 87.1mm hubcentric ring. They can be found on Amazon.
If you do decide on the wheels, be careful when ordering because they have a 2nd wheel with the same exact specs but has a center bore of 72.56mm. I am not sure you can find an adapter for for 71.5mm to 72.56mm.

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 4xe JLU
Sorry I missed the multiple offsets weā€™re only on the 17x8. Tire rack has some ultras that are similar that have the right offset, looks like theyā€™re also 5lbs lighter per wheel, but cannot speak to their quality

OP
OP
68jcode

68jcode

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
You would need a 71.5mm to 87.1mm hubcentric ring. They can be found on Amazon.
If you do decide on the wheels, be careful when ordering because they have a 2nd wheel with the same exact specs but has a center bore of 72.56mm. I am not sure you can find an adapter for for 71.5mm to 72.56mm.
Hmm okay I will make sure we verify the center bore size. Thanks for pointing that out.
Sponsored