Configuration and Other Questions about buying JL

CPOakton

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80
I'm looking at either at Altitude or regular Sahara as a first Jeep purchase - mostly middle age guy mall crawler...

The Altitude seems like a good set of upgrades, but is there any reason NOT to get it vs. regular Sahara other than cost?

In looking at configurations, for some reason, picking a rear hinge reinforcement, it kicks me out of my preferred engine and other choices.... Am I missing something? Why would ordering a reinforced rear door hinge change that??

I have found a jeep (Sahara Altitude) on lot close to me that is only missing two things I wanted. A dual top (it has a hard top) and Advanced Safety Group. I can probably live without the advanced safety group and i assume i can buy a soft top separately?

I'm loading it with just about everything else (I've found the cost of later regret higher than the incremental cost at purchase time). But I'll probably want a simple lift and larger tire setup. Is that something i can negotiate as part of the purchase and have the dealer do for me?

Really appreciate any insight and comments.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at either at Altitude or regular Sahara as a first Jeep purchase - mostly middle age guy mall crawler...

The Altitude seems like a good set of upgrades, but is there any reason NOT to get it vs. regular Sahara other than cost?

In looking at configurations, for some reason, picking a rear hinge reinforcement, it kicks me out of my preferred engine and other choices.... Am I missing something? Why would ordering a reinforced rear door hinge change that??

I have found a jeep (Sahara Altitude) on lot close to me that is only missing two things I wanted. A dual top (it has a hard top) and Advanced Safety Group. I can probably live without the advanced safety group and i assume i can buy a soft top separately?

I'm loading it with just about everything else (I've found the cost of later regret higher than the incremental cost at purchase time). But I'll probably want a simple lift and larger tire setup. Is that something i can negotiate as part of the purchase and have the dealer do for me?

If not pressed for time, a factory order is always better than compromising on what a lot has to offer.

Also, you're better off avoiding any mopar add-ons on a factory order. They're overpriced, they tend to cause delays in the build process, and the aftermarket has better options for the same or less $.

Another also. They're are at least a couple of well reputed dealers in the Virginia/Maryland area that are offering below invoice pricing without the need to haggle for it.

walt300

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shara Unlimited North
If not pressed for time, a factory order is always better than compromising on what a lot has to offer.

Also, you're better off avoiding any mopar add-ons on a factory order. They're overpriced, they tend to cause delays in the build process, and the aftermarket has better options for the same or less $.

Another also. They're are at least a couple of well reputed dealers in the Virginia/Maryland area that are offering below invoice pricing without the need to haggle for it.

Have you looked at the Sahara North package? I just ordered one on Jan 27th to get the items I wanted not at any of the dealers. The car was in Trim (Assemble) at the beginning of this week.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'll second @Headbarcode's thoughts and suggest you look to Koons in Vienna, VA for discounts off of Invoice for making just such an order.

Do you have the latest ordering pricing sheets (available here?) The FWP, or Factory Wholesale Price column is also known as the Invoice price.

OP
OP

CPOakton

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80
I'll second @Headbarcode's thoughts and suggest you look to Koons in Vienna, VA for discounts off of Invoice for making just such an order.

Do you have the latest ordering pricing sheets (available here?) The FWP, or Factory Wholesale Price column is also known as the Invoice price.

Thanks. I live a few miles from Koons. There are a few dealers in the area that seem to offer pretty good pricing. If i go that route, can i still go in for test drives? I'm not sure about the engine choices and would like to drive them to make a decision.

So use the ordering sheets and then take a % off the FWP? Like 4-6% off?

Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
My Ram has the safety group and my Jeep does not. I kind of wish my Ram didn’t, too. Some people like the nannies...

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Thanks. I live a few miles from Koons. There are a few dealers in the area that seem to offer pretty good pricing. If i go that route, can i still go in for test drives? I'm not sure about the engine choices and would like to drive them to make a decision.

I purchased at Koons. Farrish and Browns seem to have decent pricing also. Make sure you contact the right people at each dealer to get the better pricing. All are an easy drive from Oakton. Farrish and Koons both have a forum down below. A browns contact is listed somewhere under the ordering and pricing forum. I'd call them all and find out what their below invoice pricing is....

Contact the internet sales reps I'm sure they'll let you test drive to figure out what you want.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

I test drove multiple vehicles at several different local dealers before ultimately ordering through a dealer about 3 hours away.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Hey Chad:

Yeah, I hear that a bunch of dealers in the Koons area all have super competitive pricing, I believe to compete with nearby Koons.

In 2018 when I purchased my JL, Koons was offering 5% off Invoice/Factory Wholesale Price (FWP) but my head's really not in this current state of the buying market and its offerings . The Ordering and Pricing Section of this Forum https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/ordering-and-pricing-discussions.7/ is likely to have information, or at least people who you can ask, who have their pulse on the current offerings. This discount not only applies to the vehicle, but all factory features you add to it.

If you're not a time motivated buyer, factory ordering is really the way to go IMHO. First, you get the vehicle at deep discount, and second you don't have to settle for a dealer rig with features that fall short of your wishes, or conversely, pay for features you never would have wanted in a factory order.

Dealers who move lots of FCA product get discounts that are shared with the customer on these factory order incentive programs.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep.com builder is full of glitches like that. It will also remove the Cold Weather Group after you select the V6 with automatic. After you are done, you have to go back and double check everything.

It’s been doing this for months. Why they haven’t fixed they website is just as baffling as why they haven’t fixed the vague steering issue after two years. The only explanation I can come up with is because FCA doesn’t care.

Getting a soft top is easy. Check Quadratec.com. You can get any color, material and shape you want. If the Jeep had a soft top, getting a hardtop afterwards would be a lot more complicated.

I am with you on the Advanced Safety Group. I owned vehicles with adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning, and absolutely hated those features. I wouldn’t want them on my Jeep, either. I’d keep looking.

Finally, factory ordering normally makes sense. But in JL’s case, I would not recommend it. The steering issue remains a total crapshoot. Your best bet is to test drive several Jeeps until you find one that has the options and drives the way you like, and buy that one. A factory order should drive the same, but when it comes to JL there’s no guarantees it will.

Good luck.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
....some color commentary on Aldo's post @aldo98229

When ordering a hard top from the factory you will get the steering wheel stem to have the controls for operating a rear wiper and washer, plus the electrical lines for it, and the defroster, plus the liquid line for the washing fluid already installed. The same is the case for a Dual Top order.

I've heard it is a lot more than trivial to add this stuff after purchase.

As for steering issues...I hear what Aldo has to say, but the price savings on a factory order large that it is, and the lack of guarantee that a test drive will reveal such issues on a showroom model, not to mention my prior mentioned advantages to a factory order, leave me questioning Aldo's opinions, as much as I respect them and he could be right, and me wrong.

Finally, if you are on the fence about proximity locks, I suggest you get them. Adding them after sale has proven to be, by forum posts on this matter, near impossible if not utterly cost prohibitive.

OP
OP

CPOakton

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80
I purchased at Koons. Farrish and Browns seem to have decent pricing also. Make sure you contact the right people at each dealer to get the better pricing. All are an easy drive from Oakton. Farrish and Koons both have a forum down below. A browns contact is listed somewhere under the ordering and pricing forum. I'd call them all and find out what their below invoice pricing is....

Contact the internet sales reps I'm sure they'll let you test drive to figure out what you want.
Thanks! You mentioned the dealers have a forum. Can you point me to it??

JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Note that there is 2 Altitude packages, one for Sport S and one for Sahara.

Since you are referring to the one for Sahara, this does not come with Leather wrapped dash insert surrounding instrument cluster/uconnect that one would get with Leather Seat package as the Altitude comes with a glossy black piece. To some this would be less luxurious. All the launch additions for Wrangler/Gladiator and High Altitudes come with this.

All the interior stitching will also be black instead of white, just for comparisons sake.

You can always buy a soft-top after the fact.
Sponsored