First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Occupation
lab rat
Back in the early '00s, I'd dropped my kids off at an in-home daycare in the Iowa countryside, came out and...where tf is my Jeep? ("dude, where's my car?" lol) The driveway was empty... Looked towards the road and there, just peeking above the tall grass in the opposite ditch is my Jeep. It had rolled down the driveway, into the ditch and had come to a gentle stop in the perfect position to throw in 4H and drive on out. Lesson learned: Parking brake on a slope or leave in gear (she was a manual).
I haven't done anything dumb to or with my current Jeep yet...
Sponsored

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
I got the rear Center seatbelt buckle jammed between something down there. Had to fold down the seat to get to something in the back. Forced the seat downwards because I couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t letting me fold it down, and completely squished my Center seatbelt buckle. It’s gonna be a pain in the ass to repair, luckily I never have passengers in the rear.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
When I first got my 392, I noticed the hood was really heavy. Has all that hydro duct work under it, etc… So my first day of ownership I thought the hood latch underneath in the middle was the common type that other cars had, like it locked only if you dropped the hood down from about 2 feet up. I dropped the heavy 392 hood from about 2 feet up, let it free-fall, and it dropped with a huge clunk/bang. I immediately realized my mistake and thought I destroyed my hood. Nothing wrong, apparently, but first day home and it was worrying. I let the hood down gently from then on!

Like another poster experienced, I’m just waiting for the day when I shut the garage door with my rear glass up. I know it’s only a matter of time!

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Almost did the soft top thing this morning!

When I put the top up last night I guess I got distracted and never latched it. Got up to about 45 mph heading to work this morning before wondering where that wind noise was coming from, and it hit me. My life (and this thread) flashed before my eyes! Immediately reached up and slammed the latch into position. All is well again, and having experienced it almost happening, can pretty much guarantee that it won't happen again. :surprised:

Sponsored

kamal

First Name
kamal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys 21 JLU MT
i forgot to put parking break and my jeep rolled down my driveway and bumped into the pickup truck on the opposite house driveway. I think the back tire cushioned the blow. Luckily no one was injured and no damage. Lessons learnt, now i put it in gear plus hand break every time. Mine is a manual. Would be nice if some remainder signal comes that hand break is not engaged like for the lights when we turn off engine.

theblackdog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I let a stealership replace the front brakes and rotors when I had my JLU in for other recall work. I've printed out the prices for the exact same parts from the Mopar store and am going to have a chat with their manager about the ridiculous price markup.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Saturday, I was killing it on a pass into the Great Smoky Mountains. It is the Metcalf Bottoms entrance, very steep coming into the park. I cleared the pass and started heading down, there was an oncoming vehicle so I put it in neutral and started to coast down the hill. Once the other vehicle passed, I gunned it and hit the rev limiter in Neutral. D'oh!

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Nothing on my JL but on my JK, while doing an oil/filter change, the O-ring on the old oil filter stuck to the oil filter adapter and I did not notice. It turns out that 2 oil filter gaskets are not better than one. The good news is I always check for leaks after an oil change and only lost about 1/2 quart of oil.
I did this on my Civic, now with can type filters I always check that the gasket is still on the old filter before installing the new one. It took months for me to get that stain off my driveway.

I also used my little drain pan when draining my tundra, well it was about 1.5 qts short of 8 qt capacity. My driveway and lawn looked like the Exxon Valdez ran aground.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I let a stealership replace the front brakes and rotors when I had my JLU in for other recall work.

I've printed out the prices for the exact same parts from the Mopar store and am going to have a chat with their manager about the ridiculous price markup.
On those infrequent occasions when I have to bunt a parts replacement job to the Svc Dept, I'll usually provide some or all of the required parts. I'm careful to mention this to the service writer when handing over the keys. I'll pre-purchase OEM or aftermarket parts, depending on the repair in question and the spread between factory items and their lower-cost alternatives.

This M.O. has worked well enough for me that I continue to recommend it to others, if only to avoid the scenario that you mention, Michael. :)

To be fair to the Honda dealer that I've used for our CR-Vs, their parts counter pricing is comparatively reasonable, and I've not yet seen a markup on the invoice when doing a bit of post-facto price review. The only time I've had to chase something is when the service writer failed to apply a coupon that I correctly provided to him when signing the work order.

Sponsored

theblackdog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
On those infrequent occasions when I have to bunt a parts replacement job to the Svc Dept, I'll usually provide some or all of the required parts. I'm careful to mention this to the service writer when handing over the keys. I'll pre-purchase OEM or aftermarket parts, depending on the repair in question and the spread between factory items and their lower-cost alternatives.

This M.O. has worked well enough for me that I continue to recommend it to others, if only to avoid the scenario that you mention, Michael. :)

To be fair to the Honda dealer that I've used for our CR-Vs, their parts counter pricing is comparatively reasonable, and I've not yet seen a markup on the invoice when doing a bit of post-facto price review. The only time I've had to chase something is when the service writer failed to apply a coupon that I correctly provided to him when signing the work order.
Yeah, though to be frank if I had any idea that my brake pads were apparently down to their last couple of mm and the rotors were also due for replacement I would have just ordered the parts and had them do it. Still, charging me $356 for pads and $468 for rotors when I could have ordered them for $260 and $244 respectively, there's a problem. Hopefully I get somewhere with them. If not I'll find another place for the next recall.

Shermanj33p

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
High Tide Edition
I did not put my windows in correctly when I installed my soft top. I drove out of state to visit a friend and complained to my daughter that it was so noisy. I knew it would sound a little windy but that was louder than expected...then...it was gone. As I was driving on the freeway the driver side rear window flew off the jeep. Thankfully it landed on the shoulder. That was an embarrassing walk back to get it. I felt like an idiot.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Gave a california howdy to another Wrangler who thought it would be cool to brake check me as I merged onto the highway behind them and then they proceeded to go 45 in the 70 :angry: There is a reason we don't have telekinesis.