Sponsored

Condition when picked up (brand new) at the dealer?

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I've seen 100's of them arrive from transport. Generally they have a layer of dirt all over them from riding on a railcar for 1000's of miles. The factory picks random ones off the line when finished and put a few miles on them for QC reasons. We do a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) where a tech takes it out of transport mode and removes the clips on the back windows, plastic covers on the wheels and seats, some have parts that need to be installed. They are supposed to drive them a mile or 2 to make sure it runs and drives ok. We generally see them with somewhere between 5-20 miles on them when they are unloaded from the truck.

It is possible to have a few 100 miles on them if a dealer swap was made at some point. Generally we try to keep that number under 300. If its further than that we generally move it with a trailer. When a customer buys it, the warranty starts at the mileage it has at time of delivery. I can understand that many of you here envision a new Jeep with 300 miles on it being one that was taken out and rock crawled but thats just not the case. I have my own Jeep of course, but if someone at the store wanted to take one wheelin for the weekend, we would do that to a pre-owned one off the lot.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
The only reason why I'm curious about this is because some 392 Rubicons are arriving with 50+ miles on the odometer and with mud, sand, and/or rust on the suspension components.
Do you think that all of this could be a combination of extra testing, long times sitting in some wintery Ohio lot prior to delivery and maybe, just maybe, dealers taking these our on joy rides to "test them out" before they sell?

OP
OP
byhumba

byhumba

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Do you think that all of this could be a combination of extra testing, long times sitting in some wintery Ohio lot prior to delivery and maybe, just maybe, dealers taking these our on joy rides to "test them out" before they sell?
Exactly. That's why it would be interesting to see if this is happening only to the 392 trim or if other trim levels are having the same issue.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had 3 on it from the factory, 6 when I looked at it (one of the first JLU's to hit the lots) and 9 when I purchased it. Those 3 miles between 6 and 9 got a stern talking to my salesperson. I told him if he wants to sign the paperwork those keys better go in his pocket and there better not be any more miles on it. Since they were new everyone wanted to drive it.

Otherwise mine came in great shape and I didn't need to have anything corrected from the factory.

The reason you're seeing so many miles on the 392 is likely for the reasons I mentioned above. Every sales and service person in the dealership has taken it for a 2-3 mile rip down the backroads.

Sponsored

Gorpf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21-392, AEV-JL370
Occupation
Retired
@1quick1 says: “The reason you're seeing so many miles on the 392 is likely for the reasons I mentioned above. Every sales and service person in the dealership has taken it for a 2-3 mile rip down the backroads.”

-I’m afraid that this is indeed the case, and it is unacceptable regardless of model being purchased. Very unfortunate and only recourse is likely to refuse pick up/delivery and perhaps reorder.

@rikity says: “I've seen 100's of them arrive from transport. Generally they have a layer of dirt all over them from riding on a railcar for 1000's of miles. The factory picks random ones off the line when finished and put a few miles on them for QC reasons.”

-A layer of dirt from riding in a railcar is understandable. Having it arrive with 20+ miles(50+ in some cases) and/or a window sticker stating your new 392 was randomly chosen to be driven for a quality assurance process is just unacceptable.

Last edited:

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Mine came with just a few miles and a few hail dents in the hood since Texas is known for those. Those were fixed in less than an hour and all has been good for 2 years.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I had something like 48 miles on mine when I took the test drive at delivery. They told me it came off the truck like that, but I wasn't buying it. I was annoyed, but too excited to finally get my Jeep to let that get in the way of taking it home.

I'm pretty sure mine was one of the very first 2 door JLs to ever arrive at that dealership, so I suspect someone did some joy riding in it. It's BS for that to happen with a sold order, and the dealership ultimately lost any future business from me (not just for the extra miles, but that was their first strike). They can piss off!

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
-I’m afraid that this is indeed the case, and it is unacceptable regardless of model being purchased. Very unfortunate and only recourse is likely to refuse pick up/delivery and perhaps reorder.
Seems like the reality of the situation is that there is a very low availability of 392s out there and it is frequently the case that dealers who have the fortune of having one in stock are able to add $1,000s over MSRP to the sale price and still sell them. Sure, a buyer can walk away because there are 50 miles on the odometer and dust on the hood... but where would this person turn to and get one. There isn't a deep 392 inventory out there. Walk away out of principle is great but it is probably going to mean you aren't going to get one in the near future and the price might be even higher once, and if, a new one to buy is found. Dealers have the upper hand here. Bummer for consumers now and in the near future.

It would be irksome if this happened to a vehicle I specifically ordered... but dealers have the upper hand. I am sure there are a lot of honest and customer-oriented dealers out there who are taking care of their customers.

Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
picked mine up at Peterson from Kent less than two weeks ago....

Had 5 miles on odometer, super clean waiting in the customer pick up show room with a full tank of gas.....Had over 1000 miles on her by the time we got back home :rock:

Jeep Wrangler JL Condition when picked up (brand new) at the dealer? tempImageCobx0C
Jeep Wrangler JL Condition when picked up (brand new) at the dealer? IMG_9015.JPG

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I've seen some vehicles come in with the note it was QA tested, it had 23 miles on it. If something has 50 miles on it, i'd lean more towards someone(s) at the dealer taking it for a spin. I say this because we just sold a TRX yesterday, the customer had been doing a lot of forum surfing on issues from the factory and he gave us a 45 page stack of pages listing things and pictures of items to check on his truck. We've never encountered anyone thats requested such a thing before, the crazy part of it was 90% of what was listed needed to be addressed. I bring this up because I dont think they are going to pull anything off the line and put 50 miles on it, even if its a 392. I've seen 1/2 that range for sure be true but not that many miles.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Ours had 25 miles on it when I took it for the test drive. Drove like a dream and looked great. Got the deal I wanted and took our Jeep home in time to surprise the kids at school dismissal.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
I went Jeep shopping a few years ago to a large chain dealership and saw a shop employee (the oil change/tire rotation guy) returning from running errands in a BRAND NEW RUBICON- $56,000 msrp. One of the most expensive vehicles on the lot In 2017.

He was returning from Dunkin getting ice coffees for everyone.

THE CUP HOLDERS AND CONSOLE HAD DRIPS OF COFFEE EVERYWHERE!

Here’s the real kicker. This Jeep HAD A SOLD STICKER WITH A CUSTOMER’S NAME ON IT on the front windshield.! It just came from the factory fresh! It was a special order for a customer.

I will NEVER buy a Jeep from that store. Disrespectful would be an understatement.
Sponsored