Sponsored

Condition when picked up (brand new) at the dealer?

byhumba

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I'm curious about the condition in which your vehicle arrived at the dealer? How many miles were on the odometer? Was it clean and without signs of abuse? It seems not all brand new vehicles are arriving in prestine condition. Please share your experience. Also share year, make, and model if you want.
Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Mine looked like it was in new condition. All plastic wrap, including the protective film on the UConnect touch screen was removed from interior. The gas tank was full and there were 6 miles on the odometer.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I'm curious about the condition in which your vehicle arrived at the dealer? How many miles were on the odometer? Was it clean and without signs of abuse? It seems not all brand new vehicles are arriving in prestine condition. Please share your experience. Also share year, make, and model if you want.
Have you ever watched vehicles being loaded into rail cars? lol, I'm shocked they aren't all destroyed.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
My build date was 10/28/20. I bought mine off the dealer lot Dec 2020 with 7 miles on it. (2 of those miles I put on it taking it for a test drive lol.) So I assume mine came off the truck with 5 miles on the ticker.
I think the only reason one Jeep would have more miles on it would be if it had a drivability concern at the factory. Doesn’t the factory still use the treadmill to zoom each vehicle up to speed to check for defects?

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Mine had 4 miles and was cleaned.... unfortunately. I specifically requested as little PDI as possible, basically no wash/detail and ideally leave any protection in place, because your average dealership's car wash guy isn't kind on paint and I had a 270 mile drive home anyway.

Well they washed it, and scratched it. Not a huge deal as I was going to compound/polish/coat it anyway and it's going to get scratched and worse through it's life. Just made a little more work for me and a little bit more clear had to come off. It's just one of those things where it's ok if you mess your own stuff up, but when someone else does 😡

Having said that, if one expects their reasonably priced vehicle to be 100% perfect on delivery, one is dreaming. Even new $150k+ vehicles have some paint defects and random issues. Peruse any auto detailing youtube page and you will see many videos of new vehicles arriving with imperfections that you may think should never leave the factory floor. Stuff happens🤷‍♂️

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Custom order placed Nov 2020, ready for pickup Feb 2021.
2021 JLU Sport 3.6L 6 Speed Manual
9 miles, it was perfect. I felt like i could eat off the hood.

Now its at 5600 miles and pinstriped to shit. Im having fun. 🤷🏼‍♂️

OP
OP
byhumba

byhumba

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
My build date was 10/28/20. I bought mine off the dealer lot Dec 2020 with 7 miles on it. (2 of those miles I put on it taking it for a test drive lol.) So I assume mine came off the truck with 5 miles on the ticker.
I think the only reason one Jeep would have more miles on it would be if it had a drivability concern at the factory. Doesn’t the factory still use the treadmill to zoom each vehicle up to speed to check for defects?
The only reason why I'm curious about this is because some 392 Rubicons are arriving with 50+ miles on the odometer and with mud, sand, and/or rust on the suspension components.

The 392s will need a proper break in period and the first few hundred miles are crucial. I'm just confused about why some 392s are arriving in with so many miles and in such shape. Some are not. I would understand less than 10 miles and a few paint scratches.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
2021 JLUR picked it up with 2 miles on it. Dealer had all protective film removed and a full tank of gas.

I think the difference in the 392s has more to do with extensive testing and then sitting in storage compared to other models.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
11 miles, cracked taillight. They replaced with an obviously used taillight. Showed the service director, they replaced with a new one a week later. Makes me wonder what else they skimp by.

Sponsored

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
2021 Rubicon. 34 miles. Was dirty and had no gas when I test drove, they cleaned it fairly well and filled tank. Tires overfilled to 47psi. Put my front plate on bumper off center and without proper hardware, almost fell off on way home. Luckily hole that was improperly made in bumper was covered when I put it on properly (there are indented marks on bumper where you are supposed to use the self tapping screws, not sure why it was done wrong). Needless to say I skipped the survey they sent because i was not giving them 10's...

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I custom ordered a JLR in February and when I went to pick it up I did a close inspection. So detailed the sales guy made fun of me. I got the tan premium soft top and the side windows had big scratches like it went through brush. They immediately ordered me new windows. The paint had raised spots around the windshield and around the taillights and there was a big drip mark at the bottom of our door. Super shocked at the paint quality. The overall dealer detail was good but the factory issues were glaring. It only had 4 miles on it and there were no signs of use. My friend bought a Grand Cherokee and had similar paint issues and the dealer didn’t even bother to wash it when he bought it. I’ve owned a few Jeeps and it really seems like factory and dealer quality has dropped significantly.

OP
OP
byhumba

byhumba

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I think the difference in the 392s has more to do with extensive testing and then sitting in storage compared to other models.
You are right. Especially with the early orders. However, some of the more recent orders are still arriving with signs of use, not just signs of testing, but actual use.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Our 2020 JLU Recon was part of a dealer swap from across the state. Thus, it had around 240 miles on it before we even saw it. The body was clean but when I looked underneath it looked like someone had driven through a construction area where there was that milky white water from cement in spots all over the undercarriage. The interior was very clean and no hint of anyone having smoked in it.

After we decided to buy it and we got it home I spent an hour or more crawling around under it with a soapy sponge and a nylon brush to try and get it as clean as possible. I did a pretty good job but a few weeks later my wife apparently drove through the same type of construction and more spots.

I just left it after that and decided to let the rain and water puddles clean it over time.
Sponsored