Sponsored

Concerns: Gobi Racks and Soft-top with Roof Top Tent.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I am a little concern with running a heavy load with this rack, while running a soft top (you cant use the rear upper supports). Now, I went down the YouTube rabbit hole and this video is not helping with those concerns. According to a comment by someone from Gobi, they alleged it‘s from poor installation. Anyone running this rack, with a RTT. Any thoughts?

I am interested in this rack because I can still lower the soft top. But I am also intending on week long ventures when between work rotations relatively regularly… I am starting to think a trailer maybe the better option, but I really dislike towing trailers (more so when off-road).

I am looking at basically the same setup as @sarum87 with the same RTT. In fact, I am supposed to confirm my order with Gobi any day now…

Jeep Wrangler JL Concerns: Gobi Racks and Soft-top with Roof Top Tent. img_7669-jpe
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I went ahead and confirmed my order today. I think with the two door it maybe a little more stable then the YouTuber. I haven’t read any complaints on various forums.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I went ahead and confirmed my order today. I think with the two door it maybe a little more stable then the YouTuber. I haven’t read any complaints on various forums.
If I had the money, Gobi would be on my 2 door too. I have to wonder how many of his issues were install error or overloading the rack. I see Metalcloak makes a 2 door rack, is there a reason you didn't want that?
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-2-door-pro-rack-system.html

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I like the idea of still being able to use my soft top. I really like going naked when possible or when just running around town.
Me too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Keeping the option to fold the top back is important for me. It was one of the big reasons I bought a Jeep. The Gobi rack allows that option. I travel for work for long periods of time, so the Jeep isn’t a daily driver. When home, I am usually off for 3-4 weeks at a time. My intentions are to explore and camp out of the Jeep for half that time. Then strip it down, clean everything up and go naked around town for the other half.

So trying to creat a dual use vehicle. Something that could easily be setup for some pretty serious “overlanding“ and switched back to a fun around town cruiser with minimum effort is the goal.

Gobi seems to be the best option for that. Along with @AdvDegree products for fridge, that allows to swap the rear seat in and out quickly. Their designs seem pretty neat. I think these two combinations will help with that goal.

Jeep Wrangler JL Concerns: Gobi Racks and Soft-top with Roof Top Tent. img_0819-jpe

metz31

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR, 2014 Ram 1500, 2013 Audi S5
pool noodles....save lives and soft tops.

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
pool noodles....save lives and soft tops.
They make soft top protective trim kit (#GJJLRX103BT). Not sure what it exactly is, could be black pool noodles with zip ties... I did talk with Weston Miller recently with Gobi, he seems very knowledgeable. But they haven’t ran numbers on what the soft top Wranglers can support without the upper stabilizers. Apparently they agreed to sponsor @Casey250 and alleged they had difficulty setting the jam nuts to secure the load. Personally I’m not sure about that, jam nuts are pretty easy.

With the extreme use Casey put the rack through (heavy weight and lots of off-roading) and the jam nuts not being properly set. Is what Gobi claims to be the reason for failure in those videos.

I also found it interesting, they have a lot more options not listed on their website and when confirming the order. Some of these options people would really like to have if made apparent. Also the 16 week lead time, is apparently 7 months. I think with the long lead time, plus not being able to use it as I intended without lots of maintenance and potentially having to grind on my new bumper to get this to fit (something I was advised maybe needed). I will be canceling this roof rack and exploring other options.

4LO4PLAY

First Name
Bernadette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Did you end up cancelling your order?

I placed mine 03/01/2021 and finally received it first week of December. For the same reason as you, I wanted to still be able to utilize my soft top. I've had the rack on since Dec but have not been able to hit the trail since I've installed it. RTT isn't currently on there, just the cargo case. I saw that same video you watched and got discouraged about it in anticipation for the rack. Their noise suppressors are like $50 for what looks like a rectangular rubber piece that adheres to the crossbars. I opted for a $5 hack and used black pipe insulators and zipties

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Did you end up cancelling your order?

I placed mine 03/01/2021 and finally received it first week of December. For the same reason as you, I wanted to still be able to utilize my soft top. I've had the rack on since Dec but have not been able to hit the trail since I've installed it. RTT isn't currently on there, just the cargo case. I saw that same video you watched and got discouraged about it in anticipation for the rack. Their noise suppressors are like $50 for what looks like a rectangular rubber piece that adheres to the crossbars. I opted for a $5 hack and used black pipe insulators and zipties
I canceled it. I actually was able to see one in person on a soft top JK in North Carolina. It had some (surface) rust and I went up giving it a little tug out of curiosity, it had some movement. With that said, I did not get talk with the owner and I don’t think he spent a lot of time maintaining his rig. But it was certainly a rig built to be used and certainly was being enjoyed.

I just didn’t feel like it was going to be solid without regular attention. Also combined with strapping a lot weight up there and bouncing around off-road. I didn’t get a lot of confidence when talking to Weston Miller who referred to @Casey250 as someone who does heavy off-roading as almost being abusive. To me, his stuff seems a bit normal for those who do long distance exploring… It just seemed like a lot of money for something I may regret.

I ended up going with Exposed Racks under the soft top and looking at ordering Tentrax Ascend trailer.

Sponsored

Casey250

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR | 2020 JLUR-D | 2022 Demonator
Occupation
Video Creator
I canceled it. I actually was able to see one in person on a soft top JK in North Carolina. It had some (surface) rust and I went up giving it a little tug out of curiosity, it had some movement. With that said, I did not get talk with the owner and I don’t think he spent a lot of time maintaining his rig. But it was certainly a rig built to be used and certainly was being enjoyed.

I just didn’t feel like it was going to be solid without regular attention. Also combined with strapping a lot weight up there and bouncing around off-road. I didn’t get a lot of confidence when talking to Weston Miller who referred to @Casey250 as someone who does heavy off-roading as almost being abusive. To me, his stuff seems a bit normal for those who do long distance exploring… It just seemed like a lot of money for something I may regret.

I ended up going with Exposed Racks under the soft top and looking at ordering Tentrax Ascend trailer.
- Gobi did not sponsor me, I spent $3k cdn on my rack
- the website said it was compatible with a soft top
- my roof top tent weighed 150lbs, half of the max capacity of 300lbs. Gobi does not list a max capacity for soft tops versus hard tops.
- im not an engineer, I just go with what companies state.

I make videos to share my stories and experiences. Unfortunately some companies don't always agree with me.

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
- Gobi did not sponsor me, I spent $3k cdn on my rack
- the website said it was compatible with a soft top
- my roof top tent weighed 150lbs, half of the max capacity of 300lbs. Gobi does not list a max capacity for soft tops versus hard tops.
- im not an engineer, I just go with what companies state.

I make videos to share my stories and experiences. Unfortunately some companies don't always agree with me.
Interesting, when speaking to them I was under the impression they sponsored you after you reached out to them. I tried to push them for clarity on the weight with the soft top and couldn’t tell me at which point they recommend upper stabilizers. It was stated that or someone on your team didn’t know how to set the lower jam nuts; I have a hard time believing that… I don’t get the the impression they really designed and tested it for the soft top.
Sponsored