Concerns: Gobi Racks and Soft-top with Roof Top Tent.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon JL 6 Speed
I am a little concern with running a heavy load with this rack, while running a soft top (you cant use the rear upper supports). Now, I went down the YouTube rabbit hole and this video is not helping with those concerns. According to a comment by someone from Gobi, they alleged it‘s from poor installation. Anyone running this rack, with a RTT. Any thoughts?

I am interested in this rack because I can still lower the soft top. But I am also intending on week long ventures when between work rotations relatively regularly… I am starting to think a trailer maybe the better option, but I really dislike towing trailers (more so when off-road).

I am looking at basically the same setup as @sarum87 with the same RTT. In fact, I am supposed to confirm my order with Gobi any day now…

img_7669-jpeg.jpg
Advertisement

Last edited:
OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went ahead and confirmed my order today. I think with the two door it maybe a little more stable then the YouTuber. I haven’t read any complaints on various forums.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Sarge 2DR 3.6L 6MT
Occupation
Technician
I went ahead and confirmed my order today. I think with the two door it maybe a little more stable then the YouTuber. I haven’t read any complaints on various forums.
If I had the money, Gobi would be on my 2 door too. I have to wonder how many of his issues were install error or overloading the rack. I see Metalcloak makes a 2 door rack, is there a reason you didn't want that?
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-2-door-pro-rack-system.html

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Sarge 2DR 3.6L 6MT
Occupation
Technician
I like the idea of still being able to use my soft top. I really like going naked when possible or when just running around town.
Me too.

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keeping the option to fold the top back is important for me. It was one of the big reasons I bought a Jeep. The Gobi rack allows that option. I travel for work for long periods of time, so the Jeep isn’t a daily driver. When home, I am usually off for 3-4 weeks at a time. My intentions are to explore and camp out of the Jeep for half that time. Then strip it down, clean everything up and go naked around town for the other half.

So trying to creat a dual use vehicle. Something that could easily be setup for some pretty serious “overlanding“ and switched back to a fun around town cruiser with minimum effort is the goal.

Gobi seems to be the best option for that. Along with @AdvDegree products for fridge, that allows to swap the rear seat in and out quickly. Their designs seem pretty neat. I think these two combinations will help with that goal.

img_0819-jpeg.jpg

metz31

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR, 2014 Ram 1500, 2013 Audi S5
pool noodles....save lives and soft tops.

OP
OP
SH556JL

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pool noodles....save lives and soft tops.
They make soft top protective trim kit (#GJJLRX103BT). Not sure what it exactly is, could be black pool noodles with zip ties... I did talk with Weston Miller recently with Gobi, he seems very knowledgeable. But they haven’t ran numbers on what the soft top Wranglers can support without the upper stabilizers. Apparently they agreed to sponsor @Casey250 and alleged they had difficulty setting the jam nuts to secure the load. Personally I’m not sure about that, jam nuts are pretty easy.

With the extreme use Casey put the rack through (heavy weight and lots of off-roading) and the jam nuts not being properly set. Is what Gobi claims to be the reason for failure in those videos.

I also found it interesting, they have a lot more options not listed on their website and when confirming the order. Some of these options people would really like to have if made apparent. Also the 16 week lead time, is apparently 7 months. I think with the long lead time, plus not being able to use it as I intended without lots of maintenance and potentially having to grind on my new bumper to get this to fit (something I was advised maybe needed). I will be canceling this roof rack and exploring other options.

Advertisement

Tri-City Jeep

Advertisement