Sponsored

Concern over issues

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ok, so I am a couple days away from delivery and like many of you, I have seen a number of issues starting to bubble up. The crappy welds being the thing that is most concerning me. But other minor issues pile on.

I have been excited about this purchase for a while even more so as it get closer. This will be my 5th Wrangler and my first Rubicon. Honestly I’ve been very excited. Now I am starting to second guess myself.

You all think I am over reacting in being worried about what I’m getting into?
Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
Don’t worry yourself too much. Yes, Jeep quality is not the best, closer to the worst. The trade off is having a vehicle with no direct competition that actually looks cool. Just drive it and enjoy it. If you really hate it you can always sell it. They hold their value very well. If you want great reliability buy a Honda/Toyota. I myself like something a little different. Honda and Toyota are like vanilla ice cream, Jeep is Rocky Road. lol.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Count up the issues that you've heard about... Multiply it by 10. Do you think the number is high? Toledo is pushing out somewhere near 1000 JLs every day (reports vary between 850 and 1100). How does the number of reported issues compare to the number of vehicles hitting the street? How do you believe that compares to any other mass-produced vehicle?

I have NO concerns. I'm eager to get behind the wheel and I plan to enjoy every minute of it!

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Count up the issues that you've heard about... Multiply it by 10. Do you think the number is high? Toledo is pushing out somewhere near 1000 JLs every day (reports vary between 850 and 1100). How does the number of reported issues compare to the number of vehicles hitting the street? How do you believe that compares to any other mass-produced vehicle?

I have NO concerns. I'm eager to get behind the wheel and I plan to enjoy every minute of it!
There are currently 30k JLs stuck in Marion Ohio until June for "xyz" "abc" and "def" reasons.. That's a months worth of sales. This could be a really big deal.

Oilslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
My only regret is that I dicked around researching for a month and could have been driving it, also could have saved 800 bucks!!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
SixteenPaws

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There are currently 30k JLs stuck in Marion Ohio until June for "xyz" "abc" and "def" reasons.. That's a months worth of sales. This could be a really big deal.
The light I am shining on that is: They found an issue, the are addressing it, but Jeeps that were built but didn't get thrown in the Marion penitentiary don't have whatever issue held those up.

As for the number of issues vs number on the road... I get it.. I have had a number of Wranglers, but I have never bought in on the first model year. This one just has so much that I have wanted in a Jeep.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Got mine last month, love it, and not concerned about the issues being reported. If it breaks they’ll fix it. Got the lifetime warranty as well.

I bought the new Honda Pilot when it first came out. Similar issues with initial builds and they are still having transmission issues on some. Overall the Wrangler build quality to me is better than my Honda Pilot.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Dealer won't like it , but definitely test drive before paying ; also , don't forget to put it in reverse .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Ok, so I am a couple days away from delivery and like many of you, I have seen a number of issues starting to bubble up. The crappy welds being the thing that is most concerning me. But other minor issues pile on.

I have been excited about this purchase for a while even more so as it get closer. This will be my 5th Wrangler and my first Rubicon. Honestly I’ve been very excited. Now I am starting to second guess myself.

So , the couple of days has long past ; what happened ? Did you pick it up ?

OP
OP
SixteenPaws

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
AD8FA7EF-714E-4F06-BBA2-A5FB5BDD9600.jpeg
So , the couple of days has long past ; what happened ? Did you pick it up ?
I did. At the end of the day I looked at the situation and realized that it’s not going to be perfect, but I’ve wanted a Rubicon for a long time and I made the decision and stuck with it. I’ve had it for a little over a week and am loving it. Glad I went with it.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Relax. You are on an internet forum. That is the worst think you can do for "defect anxiety." This should make you feel better: My JLUR was in the first six weeks of production and in the very first batch of manual transmissions. I've had zero issues. Zero. 3600 miles are on it now, including a day of some pretty heavy off-roading. I did have to tighten a couple of bolts on the lift after the off-roading trip, but you have to do that now and then anyway. I have a bowed driver side spring on the Mopar lift, but it has caused zero issues and doesn't touch the bump stop. I am going for the Mopar fix when it comes out, but if I didn't come to this forum, I wouldn't think there was an issue. I'd have never noticed it.

All my welds are good. The engine is perfect. There are no strange noises. The Uconnect has not freaked out. The steering is perfect. There are no rattles. There are no paint imperfections. I've got no excess wind noise. The engine fan, even when full-on, is quiet. It came from the factory perfectly aligned. The engine is one of the best V6 engines ever made, and the transmission is an Aisin, which has a good rep and is majority owned by Toyota. The supsension, joints, and axles are all the beefiest ever put on a Jeep.

Relax, don't expect it to fail or be problematic. If a problem or two crops up, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. Enjoy the heck out of this thing. If it causes you anxiety, go get a Toyota and don't worry, if you get stuck, a Jeep will surely come along and pull you out. (I've freed more Toyotas than any other make! Lol! )

Stick to topics in the forum that don't bother you. There are lots of fun ones. Check out the section on trails. Start dreaming of what that Jeep can and will do, not how it will break down. HAVE FUN! That is the whole purpose of this machine, and it was designed by good, smart people who love their Jeeps. Have confidence in them. Are there lemons? Yes. The vast majority won't be.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
Relax. You are on an internet forum. That is the worst think you can do for "defect anxiety." This should make you feel better: My JLUR was in the first six weeks of production and in the very first batch of manual transmissions. I've had zero issues. Zero. 3600 miles are on it now, including a day of some pretty heavy off-roading. I did have to tighten a couple of bolts on the lift after the off-roading trip, but you have to do that now and then anyway. I have a bowed driver side spring on the Mopar lift, but it has caused zero issues and doesn't touch the bump stop. I am going for the Mopar fix when it comes out, but if I didn't come to this forum, I wouldn't think there was an issue. I'd have never noticed it.

All my welds are good. The engine is perfect. There are no strange noises. The Uconnect has not freaked out. The steering is perfect. There are no rattles. There are no paint imperfections. I've got no excess wind noise. The engine fan, even when full-on, is quiet. It came from the factory perfectly aligned. The engine is one of the best V6 engines ever made, and the transmission is an Aisin, which has a good rep and is majority owned by Toyota. The supsension, joints, and axles are all the beefiest ever put on a Jeep.

Relax, don't expect it to fail or be problematic. If a problem or two crops up, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. Enjoy the heck out of this thing. If it causes you anxiety, go get a Toyota and don't worry, if you get stuck, a Jeep will surely come along and pull you out. (I've freed more Toyotas than any other make! Lol! )

Stick to topics in the forum that don't bother you. There are lots of fun ones. Check out the section on trails. Start dreaming of what that Jeep can and will do, not how it will break down. HAVE FUN! That is the whole purpose of this machine, and it was designed by good, smart people who love their Jeeps. Have confidence in them. Are there lemons? Yes. The vast majority won't be.
Thank You! Absolutely refreshing!

OP
OP
SixteenPaws

SixteenPaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

This is exactly what I came to realize and I’m glad I didn’t get hung up on this issues others are having.

One note about the manual.... wholly crap it is amazing. I watched your video on it a while back and thought maybe you were exaggerating how nice it was, you weren’t. It is fantastic.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly what I came to realize and I’m glad I didn’t get hung up on this issues others are having.

One note about the manual.... wholly crap it is amazing. I watched your video on it a while back and thought maybe you were exaggerating how nice it was, you weren’t. It is fantastic.
It just puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! This Jeep is just effortless, whether going through the gears, or climbing a steep sand dune, or crawling over rocks. Just effortless. What a machine!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And what do those codes mean? I'd like to see the source on this. 30k is a huge number. I'm not sure there's even enough space there to hold 30k.

Give us more info, or I'll be chalking this up to more Chicken Little squawking.
Sponsored