First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade FullSizeRender

Installing new audio system into my 2019 JL Wrangler. (4-door). Hifonics Brutus amp for two JL 12" subs. JBL 4 Channel Amp for Speakers. Upgrading the Roll Bar speakers from 4.5" to Focal 6.5". Upgrading Knee Speakers from 4.5" to Focal 6.5". Upgraded dash speakers to Kenwood 3.5". Kenwood Excelon 6.5" touch screen radio. About $1800 for everything. Looking forward to the project ahead of me but I will update you all with the quality of the sound once I am done. Looking forward to go topless soon.

1st Update:
Upgraded 4.5" roll bar speakers to 6.5"....recommend using crutchfield for purchases. Bought the adapters to make my new speakers plug and play basically. You will need to remove the roll bar and do some cutting. Took me about 3 hours total. Here is a link to the thread that I used that pretty much had all the info I needed...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-soundbar-removal.11961/

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 11

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade IMG_8678

Also upgraded the 3.5" dash corner speakers for the Kenwoods, that was simple. Just pop off the grill, unscrew the original speakers and plug and play your new ones. If you need the adapter they are listed as Metra 71-039C Speaker Wiring Adapters - Front.

I created a custom subwoofer box for my two 12"s. Forgot to take a picture of the finished product but I will add it later. This is what it looked like at some point in the process. It is a sealed box that sits perfect in the trunk limiting the amount of cargo space it takes up. Took about 7-8 hours to finish. Love the end result, I will post a picture later. Looks great and clean...but you need to be handy with a saw and some carpentry knowledge will help.
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade IMG_8684

I have been tackling this project in pieces because I am still working. Next part will be in install the speakers with the amps, won't be using the car for a while so won't have to worry about finishing it all in one sitting.

2nd Update
Finished building the custom box.The entire process took about 10 hours. The 12" JLs sit a bit recessed inside the box for a smoother look and greater seal. Next update will involve putting everything in the car now.
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade IMG_8751
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade IMG_8752
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade IMG_8772
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade IMG_8773
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade IMG_8774

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 13

3rd and Final Update
So I finally finished everything after about 50 hours of work. Final pictures below. It sounds loud enough that you can hear it more than a block away but so clear that its like you are front row at a concert. I enjoy cruising with loud music so this is exactly what I wanted. This is probably more than what the casual listener would want but still phenomenal sound.

1st amp with 2 crossovers for all the front speakers and front tweeters under passenger seat
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 6

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 112

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 18

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 17

I had to take out the speaker casings from the knee speakers to enlarge the opening to fit the new 6.5s.
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 21

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 8

Two crossovers for rear speakers and tweeters
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 19

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 20

The tweeters really give the sound the high pitch quality.

The Kenwood and the corresponding frame really give the dash a smooth look.
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 15

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 16

Hifonics Amp for the Subs is actually in the storage in the trunk.
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 3

Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade Jeep 9

It was a long build but after everything, it was well worth it. Used Crutchfield for most of my purchases.

Not Pictured:
We had to drill a hole in the frame of the vehicle in the front passenger side under the glove box to run the power wire to the battery. Did it next to the existing clip that holds the carpet.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MikelMD

First Name
Mikel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLU
Occupation
Principal Sales Engineer, Public Sector
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Installing new audio system into my 2019 JL Wrangler. (4-door). Hifonics Brutus amp for two JL 12" subs. JBL 4 Channel Amp for Speakers. Upgrading the Roll Bar speakers from 4.5" to Focal 6.5". Upgrading Knee Speakers from 4.5" to Focal 6.5". Upgraded dash speakers to Kenwood 3.5". Kenwood Excelon 6.5" touch screen radio. About $1800 for everything. Looking forward to the project ahead of me but I will update you all with the quality of the sound once I am done. Looking forward to go topless soon.
Looking to pull the trigger on my new system. Pls add any links to videos, how to's used, or pix in process. I shall do the same.

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.toolsinaction.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR, , 84 CJ7 , 22 TREMOR, 23 Model Y
Occupation
Pan Handler
Vehicle Showcase
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Very interested in how this turns out. Please keep us updated

Gonz

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Gym Owner
Very cool. I'm in the middle of the same project, be sure to post updates and pics in progress so we can all see how it goes!

OP
OP

jcardenas7196

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to pull the trigger on my new system. Pls add any links to videos, how to's used, or pix in process. I shall do the same.
Updated the original post with what I have done so far...will update later with some more.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jcardenas7196

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool. I'm in the middle of the same project, be sure to post updates and pics in progress so we can all see how it goes!
Updated the original post with what I have done so far...will update later with some more.

OP
OP

jcardenas7196

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very interested in how this turns out. Please keep us updated

OP
OP

jcardenas7196

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FullSizeRender.jpeg

1st Update:
Upgraded 4.5" roll bar speakers to 6.5"....recommend using crutchfield for purchases. Bought the adapters to make my new speakers plug and play basically. You will need to remove the roll bar and do some cutting. Took me about 3 hours total. Here is a link to the thread that I used that pretty much had all the info I needed...
IMG_8678.jpeg

Also upgraded the 3.5" dash corner speakers for the Kenwoods, that was simple. Just pop off the grill, unscrew the original speakers and plug and play your new ones. If you need the adapter they are listed as Metra 71-039C Speaker Wiring Adapters - Front.

I created a custom subwoofer box for my two 12"s. Forgot to take a picture of the finished product but I will add it later. This is what it looked like at some point in the process. It is a sealed box that sits perfect in the trunk limiting the amount of cargo space it takes up. Took about 7-8 hours to finish. Love the end result, I will post a picture later. Looks great and clean...but you need to be handy with a saw and some carpentry knowledge will help.
IMG_8684.jpeg

I have been tackling this project in pieces because I am still working. Next part will be in install the speakers with the amps, won't be using the car for a while so won't have to worry about finishing it all in one sitting.

2nd Update
Finished building the custom box.The entire process took about 10 hours. The 12" JLs sit a bit recessed inside the box for a smoother look and greater seal. Next update will involve putting everything in the car now.
IMG_8751.jpg
IMG_8752.jpg
IMG_8772.png
IMG_8773.png
IMG_8774.png
Let me know what you all think of the custom box! Will put into the truck tomorrow hopefully.

OP
OP

jcardenas7196

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

1st Update:

2nd Update

3rd and Final Update
So I finally finished everything after about 50 hours of work. Final pictures below. It sounds loud enough that you can hear it more than a block away but so clear that its like you are front row at a concert. I enjoy cruising with loud music so this is exactly what I wanted. This is probably more than what the casual listener would want but still phenomenal sound.

1st amp with 2 crossovers for all the front speakers and front tweeters under passenger seat

I had to take out the speaker casings from the knee speakers to enlarge the opening to fit the new 6.5s.

It was a long build but after everything, it was well worth it. Used Crutchfield for most of my purchases.

Not Pictured:
We had to drill a hole in the frame of the vehicle in the front passenger side under the glove box to run the power wire to the battery. Did it next to the existing clip that holds the carpet.
Final Edits have been Done!

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I didn't think about mounting the crossover under the seat. I mounted the components as far forward as possible on the side kickplates. This pic is on the passenger side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade 1589146583110

Under the front passenger seat, ran the cables under the carpet.
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade 1589146954706

2.5's and tweeters on the dash
Jeep Wrangler JL Complete Audio System Upgrade 1589147039979

Your build is looking good!

Sponsored

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
FullSizeRender.jpeg

1st Update:

Jeep 11.jpg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8684.jpeg

2nd Update
IMG_8751.jpg
IMG_8752.jpg
IMG_8772.png
IMG_8773.png
IMG_8774.png

Jeep 13.jpg

3rd and Final Update

Jeep 2.jpg

Jeep 6.jpg

Jeep 112.jpg

Jeep 18.jpg

Jeep 17.jpg

Jeep 21.jpg

Jeep 8.jpg

Jeep 1.jpg

Jeep 19.jpg

Jeep 20.jpg

Jeep 15.jpg

Jeep 16.jpg

Jeep 3.jpg

Jeep 9.jpg

Not Pictured:
That's some project! I also opened up the sound bar speakers to 6.5" coaxials using the SVV adapter, but I'm a little underwhelmed with the sound. I'm wondering if you had to do any tuning to get the sound bar speakers to sound right? In particular, I'm wondering whether the rear gain on my Alpine KTP-445U amp that powers those speakers needs adjustment from the setting I've used with the factory components that were in the sound bar?

Any thoughts? I'm not all that knowledgable re: amps and speakers!

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
That's some project! I also opened up the sound bar speakers to 6.5" coaxials using the SVV adapter, but I'm a little underwhelmed with the sound. I'm wondering if you had to do any tuning to get the sound bar speakers to sound right? In particular, I'm wondering whether the rear gain on my Alpine KTP-445U amp that powers those speakers needs adjustment from the setting I've used with the factory components that were in the sound bar?

Any thoughts? I'm not all that knowledgable re: amps and speakers!
Pack the speaker pod with polyfil. I packed all of my pods with polyfil. Not sure if it works, but I’m happy with the sound.
The soundbar speakers are for fill. I threw in some cheap kicker 6.5 2-ways. They are loud, works well for what I’m looking for. My fronts are 3-way components that supply the highs, with a little bump in the knees.
it also depends on the speakers you put into the soundbar.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Pack the speaker pod with polyfil. I packed all of my pods with polyfil. Not sure if it works, but I’m happy with the sound.
The soundbar speakers are for fill. I threw in some cheap kicker 6.5 2-ways. They are loud, works well for what I’m looking for. My fronts are 3-way components that supply the highs, with a little bump in the knees.
it also depends on the speakers you put into the soundbar.
Thanks. I still wonder whether the gain setting on the amp needs to be adjusted for these speakers. I’m going to call Alpine tech support, since I used Alpine 6.5s in the roll bar, and see what they say. I went with their R Series coaxials, which are not cheap speakers; they should sound great.

OP
OP

jcardenas7196

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I still wonder whether the gain setting on the amp needs to be adjusted for these speakers. I’m going to call Alpine tech support, since I used Alpine 6.5s in the roll bar, and see what they say. I went with their R Series coaxials, which are not cheap speakers; they should sound great.
Yes, you should definitely tune the amp and radio to adjust for the new speakers. Usually everything is set up to handle the stock sound, so you should always adjust when you add anything,

OP
OP

jcardenas7196

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't think about mounting the crossover under the seat. I mounted the components as far forward as possible on the side kickplates. This pic is on the passenger side.

Under the front passenger seat, ran the cables under the carpet.

2.5's and tweeters on the dash

Your build is looking good!
That is a good spot for the crossovers I should have looked at in hindsight. Nice work!
Sponsored