Sponsored

Competition from Bronco = better deals for Wrangler?

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
As excited as I am to get a Jeep by this Spring, I can't help but think that once the Bronco is on the sales floor (Summer?), we'll see even better discounts and financing terms for the Wrangler.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I think there are going to be several factors at play here. One is whether or not the semi conductor shortage ends up impacting Bronco production (or even Wrangler production). A shortage of parts and thus vehicles, is going to lead to dealers not negotiating much at all.

Beyond that, Ford pretty much has wrapped up ordering for the 2021 Bronco. They’re sold out so Wrangler prices might not be impacted at all. I don’t think the Bronco will be widely available until 2022. Some people that are waiting for the Bronco may simply get tired of waiting and get a Wrangler. This is exactly what happened with my and my wife. We were going to get a Badlands but the wait would have had us getting one in 2022. So we opted instead for a Rubicon.

Another factor could be if Ford botches the launch even further like they did with the Explorer. That could push more people get a Wrangler.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn’t count on it. This same scenario occurred in mid-size trucks. Ranger and Gladiator both came into the market around the same time. Didnt impact Tacoma sales at all. Actually created more excitement around the market and expanded the segment.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
If Ford has been reading these forums and address all the problems jeep has had and continues to have, prior to production of the Bronco, especially the electronics they will have a big winner on their hands. Combine that with customer service and respect, winner winner chicken dinner. They will sell more than they can produce. Time will tell. If they don’t then why go from one problem vehicle to another. There is a large market for down to earth vehicles with out problematic electronics. It’s kind of interesting to watch all this unfold. But just my humble opinion.

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
That's what I hoped for, but didn't happen before I just bought my 2021 Rubicon. Plus, you can't get a manual in the V6 models. So, a Bronco was a no-goer...especially since I don't want a turbo engine in a Jeep-like vehicle.

Sponsored

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
I went from a first night Bronco reservation to ordering a 2 door Willys Sport JL on Oct. 28th. Just picked it up last week and couldn't be happier.

I won't get into all that swayed me in this thread, but price was what I'll call a secondary factor.

When I first started looking into Wranglers I heard in Socal it was full MSRP. No deals.

I researched on this forum about all the ways to save some bucks.

I got:
4% under Invoice w/ Tuttle-Click Jeep
0% financing for 3 years
750 Direct marketing incentive
500 First responder incentive
250 Bonus Drive rebate

That's a pretty good deal in my books. Whether these deals are covid or Bronco based, who knows. It'll probably be a few years before the Bronco gets deals like these though.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
Wrangler will probably increase in price due to raw material shortages and the demand for cars is insane right now

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I was on the Bronco list until around Oct last year when they started talking about Summer or later 2021 deliveries... which sounds better than what it looks like now.

We just picked up our second JL and, unusually, we bought used...but with low enough mileage to finance as new through our credit union. With 3500 miles on it and it being a ‘21 JLUR...and with the micro chip shortage and low availability... getting it 6500 below original 60k MSRP seemed like a no-brainer. The Wrangler selection is getting sparse around here. I had to travel 2.5 hours away but it was worth it.

I think the off road oriented vehicle market will follow the trend of off roading’s popularity going up, likely spurred on by this now excessive Covid lockdown.

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Like many said above I seriously doubt a pricing war. All the factors; pandemic, semi conductor shortage, supply shortage, huge demand right now, people wanting to spend money, low interest rates all that leads to the manufactures and car dealers having all the cards. Price will not decrease and MSRP will remain a good deal.

Anyone go try to buy an RV about 6 months ago? That will be the car dealers for a while. I think the launch of the Bronco is irrelevant at this point as mentioned above the initial orders will all be sold. Maybe in later 22 when things are getting back to normal we will see some competitive pricing.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I think there are going to be several factors at play here. One is whether or not the semi conductor shortage ends up impacting Bronco production (or even Wrangler production). A shortage of parts and thus vehicles, is going to lead to dealers not negotiating much at all.

Beyond that, Ford pretty much has wrapped up ordering for the 2021 Bronco. They’re sold out so Wrangler prices might not be impacted at all. I don’t think the Bronco will be widely available until 2022. Some people that are waiting for the Bronco may simply get tired of waiting and get a Wrangler. This is exactly what happened with my and my wife. We were going to get a Badlands but the wait would have had us getting one in 2022. So we opted instead for a Rubicon.

Another factor could be if Ford botches the launch even further like they did with the Explorer. That could push more people get a Wrangler.
I was going to get the Bronco also. But all the options I wanted, two door and a few others kept pushing delivery window back. I ended up getting a Jeep at a price I am very happy with. I also feel the Jeep will be over overall more reliable; I only worry about the corrosion issue...

Also dealers kept being jerks... I wasn't willing to pay a large unknown markup to a reservation I made on the first night. I did eventually find one to charge me MSRP, but by then I was so turned off.

Sponsored

BH6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys, 2010 JKU (Sold)
Yeah it's going to be a few years before anything Bronco does is seen as competition for Wrangler I think. If anything they're botching the excitement they created and making it harder for us to get our hands on product, especially here in Canada.

I too have a friend who had a Bronco reservation, cancelled it a month ago and ordered a Gladiator Rubi. The Bronco spec he was interested in wasn't going to be available until "sometime in '22".
In 2-3 years when both brands have somewhat balanced supply and demand? Maybe some deals. But who wants to wait that long?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to get the Bronco also. But all the options I wanted, two door and a few others kept pushing delivery window back. I ended up getting a Jeep at a price I am very happy with. I also feel the Jeep will be over overall more reliable; I only worry about the corrosion issue...

Also dealers kept being jerks... I wasn't willing to pay a large unknown markup to a reservation I made on the first night. I did eventually find one to charge me MSRP, but by then I was so turned off.
I had a reservation for a Badlands but I cancelled because of delays and option availability. That’s when we decided to go with a Rubicon instead..

However I’m still interested in the Warthog. I sold my Raptor last week and went down to just the Jeep for now. I’m putting money away to either get a Warthog or the Gen3 Raptor.
Sponsored