Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday after a long trip I took the Jeep to one of those touch less high pressure car washes. It was after the car wash that I noticed the compass/direction indicator stopped working.
I have the direction indicator set to be in the upper right hand corner of my center speedometer display and now it shows --
It could be a coincidence and maybe I didn't notice it before the car wash but my OCD picks up on things like this quick so I think it happened during the wash :)

I plan on disconnecting the 3 negative battery terminals tonight to see if resetting the system helps.

Anyone else see this problem?
Sponsored

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yesterday after a long trip I took the Jeep to one of those touch less high pressure car washes. It was after the car wash that I noticed the compass/direction indicator stopped working.
I have the direction indicator set to be in the upper right hand corner of my center speedometer display and now it shows --
It could be a coincidence and maybe I didn't notice it before the car wash but my OCD picks up on things like this quick so I think it happened during the wash :)

I plan on disconnecting the 3 negative battery terminals tonight to see if resetting the system helps.

Anyone else see this problem?
I needed my compass yesterday and tried to reach it in Uconnect. It said something along the lines of "acquiring data" and never did.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to fix it. I disconnected the 3 negative battery terminals overnight and then it started working again. I believe the compass you and I are talking about, even though appearing in different locations on the dash, are being driven by the same software.
Try disconnecting the battery for a few hours and see if it resets it. Do a search on the forum for disconnecting the battery. You must disconnect all three negative terminals to kill power to the Jeep.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I had a hat stuffed down behind the four-wheel drive and gear shifters on my JL and it was blocking the compass signal. I moved the hat and now the compass is working fine.
I sincerely hope this is coincidence... It would be incredibly silly if the signal was that susceptible to interference...

I, for one, don't have anything obstructing this area of the vehicle, yet my compass still stops working pretty regularly. It's incredibly disappointing when off-road. I've gotten used to using the compass on my watch instead.

Sponsored

LauraE9

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Ha! Yeah, that was a dumb thought process...It stopped working again after a day. And the Sirius connection keeps cutting out.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried disconnecting the three negative battery cable points? Two on the fender and the actual neg on the battery. Leave them off for 15 mins or so (longer if you can) and then put them back on. BTW... the compass won't start working until you get out of your garage and start moving.
As for Sirius... it won't play country music.

LauraE9

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Haha! How’d you know? I’ll try that tonight and see if it works. Hate to have to visit the dealer already when I haven’t even had it a week.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Haha! How’d you know? I’ll try that tonight and see if it works. Hate to have to visit the dealer already when I haven’t even had it a week.
Please , don't go to a dealer about the compass ; the dealer employees don't even know which way is up , and they might screw up something else as they tinker with the electronics .

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Ha! Yeah, that was a dumb thought process...It stopped working again after a day. And the Sirius connection keeps cutting out.
It stopped again because you put the hat back in the same spot ; my cat lays on my phone and pushes the buttons, and then leaps into the air when it hits the speaker button and starts a loud screech from the speaker . Just another unexplainable JL anecdote .

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Please , don't go to a dealer about the compass ; the dealer employees don't even know which way is up , and they might screw up something else as they tinker with the electronics .
I take offense to this comment. :punch:

Corodimas

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
So I’ve had my JL for about two months and all of the sudden the compass is intermittently working. For no rhyme or reason when I start jeep sometimes it’ll be working and other times it won’t.