Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Let's go back in time.

I think it's natural to look back on the choices we've made, and at least analyze them, if we're able to avoid the temptation to second guess things.

With that in mind, I do sometimes compare my JLU to the Ridgeline that preceded it. Today's trip down memory lane was prompted by some hard braking due to being cut off. Spoiler: stock for stock, the Honda had better brakes than the Jeep does. And so here's a few contrasting elements:

Engine
The Jeep wins, hands down. The 3.5L NA V6 in the Ridgeline was as reliable as an anvil, but the 2.0T in my Wrangler is actually fun (and having owned appliance-like vehicles for many years, perhaps I'm enjoying this discovery more than some of you. :))

Transmission
Again, the Jeep. The 850RE is easily the best automatic transmission that I've ever used. The 5 speed auto in the Honda never gave me a lick of bother, but there were times when I thought it could feel a bit sluggish.

Brakes
Honda, as mentioned. The Jeep requires a harder press when really lowering the anchor.

Cargo carrying capacity
The Honda, of course. It's unfair to make this particular comparison, but I'd be fibbing if I said that I never miss the utility of owning a truck.

Ergonomics
A tie, more or less. I had to cut out the intrusive dead pedal in the Honda to gain a bit of left leg room, but the seats and the footwells were both wider (no small matter to a tall fellow like myself.) The Jeep's seats fit me more snugly, and they have the lumbar support feature that the Ridgeline lacked. The absence of a dead pedal in the Jeep was a pleasant surprise. Let those who want one, buy and install it themselves.

Traction in snow and ice
A definitive Win for the Honda. It's comparatively complex VTM-4 4wd system engaged automatically and was utterly effective. The Jeep just requires a bit more care, even though it wears studded Generals in the winter and the Ridgeline wore Michelin LTX M/S shoes year-round. Credit goes to the observably heavier curb weight of the Honda, coupled with the aforementioned VTM-4 technology.

Recurring maintenance
When under the vehicles, changing the oil or the differential fluids? A solid tie.
When under the hoods, changing spark plugs, etc.? The Honda, if only because it's just so much less crowded there. Observing all of the plumbing on the GME-4, it's pretty easy to envision how much more labor will be required when wrenching on it.

Perceived build quality
The Honda, perhaps unsurprisingly. I've no real complaints (yet, lol) about my Wrangler in this category, but the bank vault-like construction evident on the Honda is...rather less evident on the Jeep.

Who else looks in the rearview from time to time?

Jeep Wrangler JL Comparisons 2006 Ridgeline

Jeep Wrangler JL Comparisons Dual door uppers front
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Sometimes I miss my TJ. The JL is very clean, sleek, and comfortable. The old beater was more fun in a dangerous sort of way.

I don’t miss my JK at all.

OP
OP
Heimkehr

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
GO BUY A HONDA
How very insightful. Might I be required to do it a second time?

Sponsored

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Let's go back in time.

I think it's natural to look back on the choices we've made, and at least analyze them, if we're able to avoid the temptation to second guess things.

With that in mind, I do sometimes compare my JLU to the Ridgeline that preceded it. Today's trip down memory lane was prompted by some hard braking due to being cut off. Spoiler: stock for stock, the Honda had better brakes than the Jeep does. And so here's a few contrasting elements:

Engine
The Jeep wins, hands down. The 3.5L NA V6 in the Ridgeline was as reliable as an anvil, but the 2.0T in my Wrangler is actually fun (and having owned appliance-like vehicles for many years, perhaps I'm enjoying this discovery more than some of you. :))

Transmission
Again, the Jeep. The 850RE is easily the best automatic transmission that I've ever used. The 5 speed auto in the Honda never gave me a lick of bother, but there were times when I thought it could feel a bit sluggish.

Brakes
Honda, as mentioned. The Jeep requires a harder press when really lowering the anchor.

Cargo carrying capacity
The Honda, of course. It's unfair to make this particular comparison, but I'd be fibbing if I said that I never miss the utility of owning a truck.

Ergonomics
A tie, more or less. I had to cut out the intrusive dead pedal in the Honda to gain a bit of left leg room, but the seats and the footwells were both wider (no small matter to a tall fellow like myself.) The Jeep's seats fit me more snugly, and they have the lumbar support feature that the Ridgeline lacked. The absence of a dead pedal in the Jeep was a pleasant surprise. Let those who want one, buy and install it themselves.

Traction in snow and ice
A definitive Win for the Honda. It's comparatively complex VTM-4 4wd system engaged automatically and was utterly effective. The Jeep just requires a bit more care, even though it wears studded Generals in the winter and the Ridgeline wore Michelin LTX M/S shoes year-round. Credit goes to the observably heavier curb weight of the Honda, coupled with the aforementioned VTM-4 technology.

Recurring maintenance
When under the vehicles, changing the oil or the differential fluids? A solid tie.
When under the hoods, changing spark plugs, etc.? The Honda, if only because it's just so much less crowded there. Observing all of the plumbing on the GME-4, it's pretty easy to envision how much more labor will be required when wrenching on it.

Perceived build quality
The Honda, perhaps unsurprisingly. I've no real complaints (yet, lol) about my Wrangler in this category, but the bank vault-like construction evident on the Honda is...rather less evident on the Jeep.

Who else looks in the rearview from time to time?

I sold my '17 RL and ended up with my JL (a '21 Mazda CX-5 in between which my wife now drives). The RL was flawless for 42k miles. My RL had power lumbar so the seats were more comfortable but the Jeep is definitely more fun.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I wouldn't say I look back, but rather parallel. I had no intention of giving up my GTO when I got the Jeep. They are very different vehicles and serve different purposes now. Yes, the GTO was my daily for many years - 216K miles would prove that. But I'm glad I kept both. I enjoy each for what they are. If I had the marry the two, I'd take the drivetrain from the GTO and put it in the Jeep. That Tremec + cammed LS1 combo would suit the Wrangler much better than the wide ratio Aisin with the low torque Pentastar. To be fair though, I would not want my Wrangler with an auto, I just wish the gear ratios were better suited for the Pentastar.
Sponsored