Sponsored

Comparing MPG with 91 and with 89 octane

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I can’t find screen setup lol
I believe it is "screen" number 9 in your EVIC display when you use the up/down arrows on your steering wheel to move through the dash view (EVIC). This is not on the UConnect display.

Note, you can't do it while the vehicle is in motion.

Does that help? If not LMK and I'll shoot you some photos.
Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
I believe it is "screen" number 9 in your EVIC display when you use the up/down arrows on your steering wheel to move through the dash view (EVIC). This is not on the UConnect display.

Note, you can't do it while the vehicle is in motion.

Does that help? If not LMK and I'll shoot you some photos.
Thank you I’ll try it when I get off work , I was going to settings on the app. Display no wonder I couldn’t find it , you have to be a computer programmer to figure this stuff out lol

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Maybe y’all knew about this app already, but sharing just in case as we’re all quite focused on fuel cost.
Someone in another thread mentioned GasBuddy. Great app that allows you to find the cheapest gas price near your location. You can set up your default as premium or regular and apply a bunch of other screens. You can also sign up for the payment option and get 5c/gal off.
In areas where there is a lot of price disparity this type of info can be quite useful.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My Infinity M35 needed premium as well and it wasn’t a turbo , in Chicago i go to Costco for my Gas and they only offer 93 octane but. It’s still way cheaper then going to a regular gas station here
Almost every car I have owned, turbo or non-turbo, required premium. Costco is great. Costco gas is Top Tier and as much as .60 cents a gallon cheaper then our local gas stations. Plus the extra 4% cash back on gas.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Forced induction engines (turbos and superchargers) have higher compression ratios when under boost than a “normal” NA engine. Higher compression pressures inside the engine cause cheap gas to detonate or burn too quickly. The ECU has to retard the timing of the engine to avoid damage and this reduces performance and hurts fuel economy.

Higher octane gas burns more slowly to deal with the higher compression. Full performance and fuel economy specs are realized using the recommended 91 octane level the manufacturer requires. Btw, Putting in 93 will not add to the performance even more. 91 is all you need. FYI, my Audi q7 v8 has a NA engine but also needs 91 because it too is a high compression engine, so engines don’t have to be turbos to need Premium fuel.
This^^

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Almost every car I have owned, turbo or non-turbo, required premium. Costco is great. Costco gas is Top Tier and as much as .60 cents a gallon cheaper then our local gas stations. Plus the extra 4% cash back on gas.
Rediculous gas prices in the city some areas are a dollar more

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
B0DD6614-1D3A-4A02-BCBA-92611BAAC379.jpeg
I have only ran premium in my JLUR now at 4500 miles in 7 months, it has the Mopar lift, 37” BFG KO2’s, almost every option, Engo 10k winch with Synthetic rope, DV8 882 Beadlocks. Full of fuel is ~4800lbs. 75% of miles are off-road. Combined fuel economy calculated the old way with pen and paper is 21.2mpg.... the computer will read 24.8 highway and 19.3 city/off-road. Considerably better than either my 2010 JKUR and my 2014 JKUR...Both those rigs were lifted on 35’s with 8k Warn Winches and got 15 on a good day but averaged 13....The next 30 days will be all off-road so I’ll be curious what it’ll get.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
Chicago traffic

306FD6CE-92FA-4649-BB0C-CD19474EB348.jpeg

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
click "up" and "down" on the controls to the left on the wheel. then click "ok.".
Thank u got it , I’m only getting 16.5 MPG

Sponsored

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
My driving traffic also blows where I live. A sea of stop lights and traffic. Just yesterday I drove off most of the dealer gas in the Jeep and filled with 91. So the jury is still out on my Wrangler MPG. For a reality check, my old Audi Q7 v8 is rated at 14mpg City 17 Hiway. Real world where I live? 11mpg. I’m not holding my breath for the Wrangler getting over 20mpg here that’s for sure.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Where I live the price between 89 and 92 is 27 cents.

luvs311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 Jeep Liberty, '18 wrangler JL Turbo
I just finished my second tank of gas, I'm showing 25.4 mpg avg overall. I figured the dealer put regular gas in my first tank but now that I'm nearing the end of my second tank, I think they did put premium gas in it. I refueled after 360 miles on the dealer gas tank. I'm refueling at 314 miles on regular gas. When I first started tracking my mpg, it was showing 17-18mpg. I changed my driving style a little bit so not to be too aggressive and it has made a huge difference. I didn't realize I was lead footing it all over the place.

20180911_155055.jpg

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
I just finished my second tank of gas, I'm showing 25.4 mpg avg overall. I figured the dealer put regular gas in my first tank but now that I'm nearing the end of my second tank, I think they did put premium gas in it. I refueled after 360 miles on the dealer gas tank. I'm refueling at 314 miles on regular gas. When I first started tracking my mpg, it was showing 17-18mpg. I changed my driving style a little bit so not to be too aggressive and it has made a huge difference. I didn't realize I was lead footing it all over the place.

20180911_155055.jpg
My mpg has gone up since I reached over 500 miles , I’m getting 17 mpg in Chicago which is pretty good I think and. I find it hard not to hit that gas pedal , I love feeling that turbo kick in
Sponsored